March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Off to Holland

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jme1979
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Off to Holland

Post by jme1979 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, packed and ready to head to Holland..........(well, the GPS, PDA, a geocoin and walking gear are packed, will get round to doing the 'proper' clothes at some point!) Hoping to squeeze a few caches in between work (and have been having a lot of fun translating cache pages in Babelfish, as most of the ones in the area I will be going to seem to be multis, so the coordinates on their own won't do!) Has anyone been to any of the areas around the Hague/Rotterdam/Delft (just in case there are any 'musts' in the region!!)

Also if anyone is aware of any TB's languishing anywhere close to Dromore which need to stretch their legs for a bit, if you drop me an email, I will see if I can pick them up tomorrow.

Thank you!

jme1979

LettyN
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by LettyN » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:14 pm

If you need any translations, you can mail me (or text me, +31652101345, that's a Dutch phone).
Delft and surroundings are great for puzzle caches, if you have time and brain power to spend.
And if you end up north, I'm in Assen/Groningen if you want to meet!

Letty (formerly from Cork)

jme1979

Thank you!!

Post by jme1979 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi LettyN

Thank you so much for the offer, I wish I had seen this earlier - I've had pretty limited access to email since I got here (I fly back home again tomorrow - or at least I hope so, given the weather!). Work got in the way of any real geocaching :twisted: , but managed to get in a couple today in Delft (but I see what you mean about the great puzzle caches, some of them are more twisted than any I had come across before!) Although my determination to get some caches in and deposit the trackables I had led me to being in a park at 10pm, in the hail and heavy wind, after dragging one of my hosts around the streets of Delft (who was fascinated by the whole geocaching concept!)

I will hopefully be back in the area closer to the summer - I will let you know how that works out!

Again, thank you!

jme1979

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Re: Thank you!!

Post by donnacha » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:07 am

jme1979 wrote:some of them are more twisted than any I had come across before!
Sushhh, don't tell Steve. He may go over there for ideas! :D

dino

Post by dino » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:24 am

I can see the cost of flights from Dublin to Holland rising as we speak ;)

:mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:21 pm

I would NEVER encourage someone to go running off to discover more ways to torture us :twisted: ................

(Aer Lingus was pretty cheap from Belfast.................)