March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Edinburgh and Glasgow

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Edinburgh and Glasgow

Post by Spark_ie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:28 pm

Hello there,

I'm off to Scotland for a few days at the start of January..
I'll be spending 2 days with my brother in Glasgow, so I'll attempt to rack up a few caches there, although isn't all that many.

Off to Edinburgh then for 2 more days, and there's 40 within 2 miles of the main train station, so I'll be a busy boy for the duration of my stay!

Really looking forward to this trip, as it's my first real Geocaching trip, and I'm anxious to get alot of caches under my belt as I've been very quiet in the last month or two with college exams!

Also looking forward to caching in Edinburgh as it offers a nice selection of Multis, traditionals, virtual, mystery, webcam and earthcaches..

So here's to a good trip !!

Wooo !

- Mark

dino

Post by dino » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:58 pm

I've done one cache in Glasgow and really enjoyed it. I had a lay-over between a flight and a bus of about 3 hours and I was surprised that it took nearly all that to finish. I really enjoyed it despite the fact that it was chucking it down in true Glaswegian style :mrgreen:

Shopping and Caching
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:56 pm

I've done a few in Edinburgh. The city itself doesn't have any particularly great ones - I think Greyfriars Bobby stood out, as well as Athens of the North.
However, the area around Arthur's Seat was a very nice surprise. It's well within walking distance of the city centre, yet feels very country-ish, and has some nice hills to climb. Don't miss that - very scenic area.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Fjon wrote:....around Arthur's Seat was a very nice surprise....
Top of my watchlist at the moment :wink:

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Have a look at this link to Haggis Hunter's bookmark list. It should help you get more bang for your buck!

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Defau ... 1a2dbc0c52

Then click on the bookmark lists tab.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:59 am

Cheers !!

Looks like I have my plan all made out so now :D

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Got alot of caches in Edinburgh while I was there, very happy with my Saturdays work... got 12 caches, and covered 34km by foot in doing so!

Fab city, and will deffinately have to make it back here in the future to grab those ones I couldnt walk to !!

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Spark_ie wrote: 34km by foot
fair play to you!
hello...