March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Switzerland

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Switzerland

Post by daraconn » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:56 pm

I'm going to Zürich on Tuesday, which is the reason I sadly won't be attending the Rathlin event. But just now I've discovered there's an event on in Zürich on Wednesday evening - apparently it's the first they've had in ages. I posted an "I Will Attend"; not sure how they'll feel about a non-German speaking cacher couple turning up, but we won't be the only ones. MissJenn, a Groundspeak employee, will be there.

One other name on the "I Will Attend" list should be familiar to many of us from cache logs: Herr und Frau Knowhow, who blasted their way through 50 caches in two weeks all over Ireland earlier this summer.

So that's our dinner plans for Wednesday evening sorted - as soon as I finish work in Dübendorf, I can meet up with Yuko, buy some meat for the grill, and head over to the event!

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:06 pm

On Friday, we made a brief visit to Liechtenstein, in which, frustratingly, I was unable to log a cache despite frantic efforts.

Our bus tour deposited us in the centre of Vaduz (capital "city" of Liechtenstein), with strict instructions (and by God, our guide was strict about punctuality - we had been given out to at length for being 1 minute late at the last stop) to be back on the bus within 45 minutes.

The nearest cache, Ländle 4 - Franz I, was a mere 250 metres up the cliff towards the Royal palace. So we started making our way up. But when I checked the PDA, I discovered it was a multi; only 2-stage, but not knowing the total distance, I decided not to chance it.

The only other cache showing nearby, Ländle 5 - St.Florin, was around 500 metres in the opposite direction, and with 30 minutes left, I set off at a fast clip, leaving Yuko behind to do some shopping for souvenirs. Checking the PDA again, I found to my horror that this one was a 4-stage multi. I spent the next 10 minutes counting steps, checking dates on statues, and calculating co-ordinates. But when I worked out the final location, it turned out to be also up the cliff towards the Royal palace. Out of reach - there was no way I would be able to get there and back in the time available.

Especially frustrating was that in hindsight, we might well have been able to find the first one, had we kept going. Equally, had we had an hour in Vaduz instead of a rather pointless 45 minutes, we would have had a better chance. But so it goes.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:23 pm

Switzerland is a good caching destination. The density of caches is so high (thousands within 30 miles of Zürich) that the visitor can freely pick and choose between urban micros, town-tour multis, puzzles, parks, forests or mountain hikes. Quality is generally good, and there is no shortage of picturesque locations. Some cache descriptions are bilingual, some German-only. Most of the logs seem to be by locals, with surprisingly few (compared to Ireland) visitors.

It was interesting to me how incomprehensible the Swiss German dialects are. I had learned German for Leaving Cert, but the language spoken in Zürich is almost unrecognisable as German. Anyway, lots of people speak really excellent English.

Caching time was limited because of work and because Yuko likes to do other things too. I managed to log 5 in total, including 1 event, 2 puzzles, a multi and a rural micro. A couple I failed to find, including a long forest hike that didn't work out.

The popularity of caching in Switzerland was evident at the event. There were well over 100 people there, and find-counts in the thousands or high hundreds seem typical. We were made to feel very welcome. I won a "geocaching lackey" coin in a raffle. We brought our own meat for the barbecue, and there was plenty of food and drink laid on - salads, bread, soft drinks and beer. Quite a few of the people there had been to Ireland - one couple had logged 80 in Ireland in a single week.

The purpose of the event was for Groundspeak (in the person of MissJenn) to meet and greet the cachers in the area, as part of a wider outreach programme which includes Jeremy's visit to London. Apparently Ireland isn't on their radar just yet, but she knew that some people including dino-irl are travelling over to London. She also announced a plan to translate the geocaching website into various languages. I had a chance to chat with her for a while, which was interesting.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:00 pm

daraconn wrote: It was interesting to me how incomprehensible the Swiss German dialects are. I had learned German for Leaving Cert, but the language spoken in Zürich is almost unrecognisable as German. Anyway, lots of people speak really excellent English.
I'm a native speaker and it really is like another language. But it's not too dissimilar from the incomprehension an English-speaker might have in Glasgow, or Ireland, or Australia.