March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Asturias, Northern Spain

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bickerson female
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Asturias, Northern Spain

Post by Bickerson female » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Off on 4th September on a house shopping trip for a few weeks. There are a few caches that we plan on doing. Really hoping to buy a house, a nice stone house in the mountains with room for a pool and pony!!! Will keep yis all posted on how we get on. :D

dino

Post by dino » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Oh how the other half live....it was bad enough listening to Sean's exploits now we'll have to put up with you lot as well ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by klaus23 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:43 pm

dino wrote:Oh how the other half live...
Don't forget the comfortable middle classes... :wink:

Bickerson female

Post by Bickerson female » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:30 am

dino wrote:Oh how the other half live....it was bad enough listening to Sean's exploits now we'll have to put up with you lot as well ;)

I feel an international Event in the making.......a weekend caching in the Europa Mountains!!!!! Cheap Easyjet flight out!!! Watch this space...

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:26 am

We're building a power plant in Asturias at the moment (at Tamón, near Avilés) - once it's commissioned I'll probably be a regular visitor to the area. I've already mostly exhausted the caching potential around our other station in the Basque country. So start laying out those caches, I'll be over in 2009!

Bickerson female

Post by Bickerson female » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:51 am

daraconn wrote:We're building a power plant in Asturias at the moment (at Tamón, near Avilés) - once it's commissioned I'll probably be a regular visitor to the area. I've already mostly exhausted the caching potential around our other station in the Basque country. So start laying out those caches, I'll be over in 2009!
That's great although I really do hope that power plant is NOWHERE near my back garden!!!!! We should be living full time out there by 2009 2010 so you will have to meet up with us for sure. When you live abroad, it is nice to catch up with yer auld irish pals over a pint (of wine) while nibbling some local cured meats and cheeses, sitting outside on the patio beside the wood-oven, under the stars........in a t-shirt!!!!! :D :D :D :D