March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Thailand and Vietnam

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Kili or bust

Thailand and Vietnam

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:29 pm

After Frankfurt and a couple of visits to London I will be off to catch up on me Missus in Vietnam via a bit of a mountain trek in Thailand. Anybody know 'out about caches in those countries? Will also be close to Calcutta and southern China. If I thought I could grab a cache anywhere interesting in either I would love to have an excuse to visit!
This will be late November and early December.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:39 am

Have you tried searching on GC.com?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:55 am

Don't worry Dino, I will get to that. I just wondered if anyone knew any places of particular interest or with really good caches.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:14 am

I wish I did :(

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Had a good look at these countries and Thailand seems fine for caches but those in Vietnam and Cambodia are thin on the ground. Anything that is seems to be there since 2002 and none seem to have been found in recent times. Lots of DNFs. Not great!

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Off next Wednesday for a month lads and lasses so probably very little contact for a while. I know you will all miss me but don't worry Santa is coming. By the way, he already arrived for Steve, Alan and meself!!! :D :D :D 2008 is going to be quite a new experience! :wink: :wink: :wink:

The Windsockers

Post by The Windsockers » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Kili or bust wrote:Off next Wednesday for a month lads and lasses so probably very little contact for a while. I know you will all miss me but don't worry Santa is coming. By the way, he already arrived for Steve, Alan and meself!!! :D :D :D 2008 is going to be quite a new experience! :wink: :wink: :wink:

don't go letting the pussy out of the bag :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:37 pm

Think the pussy might make a little more than a meeow!

Steve is gone now lads we can all start talking about him!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dino

Post by dino » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:16 pm

Have a great time Sean, say hello to Joan from the Donegal branch and see you when you get back :mrgreen:

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Think the pussy might make a little more than a meeow!

Have a great time Sean, keep away from the cats in Thailand, I hear they can be quite tiring for the older man :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Thanks Dino, will do!

As for the "older man" Mr Parkmoy, I will let that one go until you see, or more likely HEAR, the three of us MEEEYOWing around your territory in the new year!
Watch this space!! 8) 8) 8)

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:11 pm

As for the "older man" Mr Parkmoy, I will let that one go until you see, or more likely HEAR, the three of us MEEEYOWing around your territory in the new year!
Well if you're going chasing pussy in Fermanagh I suppose that means you'll be having another go at Ding Dong Bell?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:44 am

Hi Guys, having a ball in Thailand. I am up in the mountains in the north at a place called Pai. Grand little cache behind a restaurant. Makes a nice change from the one in Chaing Mai where you have to wait for the owners of a shop to be open to go in and ask for the cache which is behind the till!! Tearin around the mountain roads on a Honda 50 at the moment!! Great gas!

dino

Post by dino » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:16 am

Good to see you're still alive and enjoying yourself out there!

Did you see my note about Ballyshannon?......drop me a line if you want me to re-enable it and you can't get access.....my alter-ego can take care of it for you ;)

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

My My what a change Ho Chi Minh City is from Thailand or even Bangkok. I found Bangkok to be far more affluent than I expected. Plenty of poverty as with anywhere of that size but major enterprise also and huge wealth in places. Stayed in every kind of digs in Thailand from mountain tribe huts with the dreaded "long drops" etc. etc. (nuff said!) to 5 star hotels of astonishing quality and service for quite modest prices. Boy, could we all learn a thing or two about service and grace from those beautiful people!
Vietnam is quite another story so far anyhow. Absolute bottom line poverty and breadline stuff with major remnants of war and human cost. Perhaps because of the work Joan is doing here I am seeing some of the lesser sides but how people survive with some of the crippling loss and disfigurement as a result of "Agent Orange" etc. is beyond me. The authoritarian regime and a great deal of accompanying corrumption is also quite evident and while most people are exptremely friendly and nice there is also quite a desperation and numerical jostling going on simply to live. The movement of people up to 20 hours a day on every conceivable mode of transport is incredible to witness. Bangkok was one thing where most roads and alleys were just wide enough to cope with a population similar to London's but Ho Chi Minh City which is similar in numbers tries manfully to move these numbers around on woefully inadeguate infrastructure. One tourist info book I read projects that the population of Ho Chi Minh City will double by 2020. The mind boggles!!
If any of you guys have been here you probably know about the motorbikes but they were and continue to be a huge culture shock for me. Thousands of Honda 50s comin at ya from every direction and going by 20 deep for hours on end. The numbers just leave me speechless. Don't think I will complain about Dublin's gridlock (for 5 mins anyway).
Sanitation is another matter and what the monsoon rains drag up doesn't bear thinking about. Hygiene is a real concern as the general feeling is that it is someone elses problem. You can imagine what that leads to.
Eating out is something of a picky thing as you really have to have some sort of idea how they prepare the food beforehand. A gentle stroll along the alleyways during the afternoon can be more than revealing.
As I started by saying there is quite a difference between 2 countires so closely tied geograpically. Each amazingly beauitiful with interesting and diverse peoples and cultures. I would love to think that Thailand is Vietnam's future but unless there are some pretty stark changes at all levels I would have me doubts.