March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Visiting Ireland!

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
lonehenrik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Visiting Ireland

Post by lonehenrik » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Hallo Ireland!

I'm a danish geocacher who are going to visit your great island next week for the first time. I would very much like to visit some of your caches. I can see that one of my fellow geocachers in denmark PLI previously have ask for PQ that will give informations of the cashes in your area. I will take them with me.

You have a great country I'm sure, but I think one should concinder a travelling time between places higher than we would in Denmark. If I where asked how long it wood take to travel from Dublin to Limerick what would you say?

We are not quite sure of where we are going to on the trip yet, but leaving Dublin the 10. of july going for area round Limericks and then moving to country about Kilkenny could be very possible, before returning to Dublin.

Off course it would be nice if some of you would said. Ok. then you just have to go to... but if not, I look at the PQ.

One other thing that I have been wondering about is, that we have heard about great masses of rain falling over at your place. Are you badly hurt and are there anything we should concider in that matter.

First of all. I look very much furhter to visiting your country.

Best regards
Lone

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Lone,

Welcome to the forums. For your travelling, please try our Interactive Map, you'll see Kilkenny and Limerick as you move in a south-west line away from Dublin.

(edit: for travel times in Ireland, please try the AAIreland route planner. Their time for travel between Dublin and Limerick is 2hrs 14 minutes. I think they calculate the journey based on speed limits that apply on the trip and assume you observe - or reach - all of them. I would allow between 2.5 and 3 hours for that trip.)

As for rain, it rains a lot, but we're never badly hurt and you don't have to worry. Just bring a jacket, or two. :D

If you know where you're planning to stay or stop on your travels we can recommend some caches for you.
If you have any specific questions about visiting Ireland or about your holiday, we can help with those too.

8)

lonehenrik

Post by lonehenrik » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:55 am

klaus23 wrote:Hi Lone,

Welcome to the forums. For your travelling, please try our Interactive Map, you'll see Kilkenny and Limerick as you move in a south-west line away from Dublin.

(edit: for travel times in Ireland, please try the AAIreland route planner. Their time for travel between Dublin and Limerick is 2hrs 14 minutes. I think they calculate the journey based on speed limits that apply on the trip and assume you observe - or reach - all of them. I would allow between 2.5 and 3 hours for that trip.)

As for rain, it rains a lot, but we're never badly hurt and you don't have to worry. Just bring a jacket, or two. :D

If you know where you're planning to stay or stop on your travels we can recommend some caches for you.
If you have any specific questions about visiting Ireland or about your holiday, we can help with those too.

8)
Thank you Klaus for your kindly answer. and tips.

By the way, your name sounds very Danish. Are you a true viking :wink:
I'm glad to see the time scedules look ok.

I have seen that you have placed some caches not to far from Limerick. I might visit some. The Burren could be a place we would go to.

Right now my greatest worry is, that my internet has broken down. I am now sitting in an public office that is closing in 5 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to get the PQ somewhere from.

I hope for the best.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:33 pm

lonehenrik wrote: By the way, your name sounds very Danish. Are you a true viking :wink:
I'm glad to see the time scedules look ok.

I have seen that you have placed some caches not to far from Limerick. I might visit some. The Burren could be a place we would go to.

Right now my greatest worry is, that my internet has broken down. I am now sitting in an public office that is closing in 5 minutes. Hopefully I will be able to get the PQ somewhere from.

I hope for the best.
Not a Viking, I'm afraid. My father is German, his family are from Schleswig-Holstein originally, not far from you. We used to live in Flensburg, not far from Denmark. When I was young we used to go up there a lot.

My caches are around Galway, where I live. It's just over 1 hour from Limerick. I would recommend visiting the Burren though, and Connemara in West Galway also. There's more caches in Connemara :wink:

Hope you get that PQ. :D

lonehenrik

Post by lonehenrik » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Gosh! One is in trouble now a days if you don't have internetaccess. When mine broke down, I was in the middle of contacting you, mailing contacts to Bead and breakfast ordering. Gettting the information of the irish caches. How is the weather, how much do I have on my bankaccount, I would like one more print of my e-ticket for the flight and car rent. Nothing is possibly without the internet... It has taken me long time and great effort, but now I am almost sure we have places to stay and it seems like your cache waypoint are installed on both my GPS and PDA.

Trip will be 3 days near Limerick, 3 days near Kilkenny and finally one day in Dublin on the 16th of july.

Off cource I would be very glad to here where it would be good to go. To Klaus23 I certaintly hope we reach both The Burren, Gallway and Cannemare. It seems to be really great places. Hopefully we also can get near the ring of Kerry or just parts of it.

I have one speciel interest very much linked to Ireland. I play fiddle in two bands. We mostly plays nordic folk music. But tunes like Off to California and Sligo fancy is part of our repertoire to.

Therefore I hope to meet some irish folkmusic on my visit to Ireland, though I have that problem that my 3 fellow travelleres aren't interesting in neither geocaching or folkmusic. The irish folkmusic allthough is the kind they would prefer if asked..

I would therefore be very glad to hear if some of you knows about any folkmusic in the places we will go.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:50 pm

lonehenrik wrote: Therefore I hope to meet some irish folkmusic on my visit to Ireland, though I have that problem that my 3 fellow travelleres aren't interesting in neither geocaching or folkmusic. The irish folkmusic allthough is the kind they would prefer if asked..
For traditional music, Galway and Clare are the places to go.

In Clare, head for Gus O'Connor's pub in Doolin, near Lisdoonvarna - or either of the two other pubs in the village. Doolin is considered the World headquarters of Irish music. A visit to the nearby Cliffs of Moher is also a must.

In Galway, try The Crane, in the west side of town. (nearby, the Roisin Dubh is also worth a visit).

Both O'Connors and The Crane have Irish music nightly.

lonehenrik

Post by lonehenrik » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:45 pm

klaus23 wrote: For traditional music, Galway and Clare are the places to go.

In Clare, head for Gus O'Connor's pub in Doolin, near Lisdoonvarna - or either of the two other pubs in the village. Doolin is considered the World headquarters of Irish music. A visit to the nearby Cliffs of Moher is also a must.

In Galway, try The Crane, in the west side of town. (nearby, the Roisin Dubh is also worth a visit).

Both O'Connors and The Crane have Irish music nightly.
How lucky can one be. I certaintly will try to get some of this places incorperetated in our tour. Thank you very much for your advise. Hopefully I would be able to give useful hints if you ever would go to Denmark.

Regards
Lone

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:30 pm

lonehenrik wrote:Hopefully I would be able to give useful hints if you ever would go to Denmark.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lonehenrik

Post by lonehenrik » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:00 am

Oh yes. there are in fact some interesting breweries here (and it is not carlsberg I am refering to.) I wouldn't have dared mention that for an irishman. But you took it up :D

However I am looking forward to taste some of your great beers. I Just had birthday and some friendly persons brought me some Kilkenny draughts just so that I could begin adjust for the taste.

lonehenrik

Post by lonehenrik » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:56 pm

lonehenrik wrote:Oh yes. there are in fact some interesting breweries here (and it is not carlsberg I am refering to.) I wouldn't have dared mention that for an irishman. But you took it up :D

However I am looking forward to taste some of your great beers. I Just had birthday and some friendly persons brought me some Kilkenny draughts just so that I could begin adjust for the taste.

Hi Ireland again.

Now I have visit your great Island. It was a great experience. I manages to find some of yours caches, but I was travelling with 3 people who wasn't geocachers, so I could only take the ones we where passing by. But I want to say, that travelling arround your country we met the most helpfull and nicest people I have met for a long time, and I will be remembering that.

I read that you have recommended a card for the GPS that could lead you throught Ireland. I didn't managage to get it, and therefore we where often in no mans area. Anyway we were glad of the help getting throught Dublin. Took some while, but I think it would have lasted longer if we didn't have the GPS.

I thank you for your help and surtently hope to come back.

Best regards

Lonehenrik

dino

Post by dino » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:15 am

Good to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you hope to come back.

Give us a shout if you do and maybe we might be able to organise an event around it this time :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

lonehenrik

Post by lonehenrik » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:04 am

dino wrote:Good to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you hope to come back.

Give us a shout if you do and maybe we might be able to organise an event around it this time :)
Oh yes. I will remember to do that. :wink: