March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ireland

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

pli

Ireland

Post by pli » Tue May 22, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi

Im planning a week vacation in Ireland in August. B&B. I would like to prepare some PQ to cover all caches in Ireland. Do you have any information available about how to do this?

As I have no plan yet where to go, I would like to have information avaliable on my PDa for whatever I (and my wife :D) feel like to visit.

Best Regards

pli, Peter Lindemann

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Tue May 22, 2007 4:14 pm

This thread might help

http://www.forums.geocachingireland.com ... php?t=1115

Welcome aboard!
hello...

pli

Post by pli » Tue May 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Thanks.

PQ-1 : 160 caches
PQ-2 : 405 caches (some must have been disabled ! previous figure was 490!!
PQ-3 : 178

as of 22. May 2007

Looking forward, now well prepared !!

dino

Post by dino » Tue May 22, 2007 5:00 pm

The figure for PQ2 includes Temporarily Disabled caches which I like to keep in GSAK.

Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask for more help about good places to stay, visit, etc.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

pli

Post by pli » Tue May 22, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks.

My figures excludes not active caches, of course. Not relevant for a short vacation.

Well until now, we have only booked the flight, and are considering car-rental at: http://www.ebiludlejning.dk/ or similar. It seems we can get a Nissan Primera class car for 8 days incl Aircon, for the price of 350 euro. And we budget B&B for 70 euro a night for 2 persons. Do you think this is excessive ?

/peter

pli

Post by pli » Tue May 22, 2007 5:47 pm

By the way, is it nessescary to Book the B&B's in advance ?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue May 22, 2007 6:00 pm

That car rental definitely seems very expensive. You won't need aircon, and I am not sure you'd need such a big car (unless you want to of course!).
Have a look here - you should be able to get it for around €100 less:

http://www.comparecarrentals.com/

pli

Post by pli » Tue May 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for the Comparison site.

My thougth was that it is summer, thats why the aircon! But if you say so.. And maybe my price is incl. 1 extra driver (70 euro)? I like to relaxe sometimes, and then my wife drives (and after visiting destilleries :D)

regarding PQ's

What if you have too many caches for our GPS (max 1000) at the time of august.

Can we divide the PQ's in some way then?

Or maybe we should have use the traditionals only?

/p

dino

Post by dino » Tue May 22, 2007 8:29 pm

You may have that problem already if you use Additional Waypoints. They count as waypoints on the GPS and will easily push you over your 1000 limit if you try to carry all the Irish caches on it.

Maybe you should select certain areas and download caches for them only?

If you're trying to reduce numbers I wouldn't discount Multis. Some very good caches will be lost that way. Also there are two excellent Earthcaches in Ireland which shouldn't be missed out if you're in the area. Reducing cache numbers could be difficult at this rate!
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed May 23, 2007 10:47 am

Couple of points. Fjon is absolutely right about the aircon. In Ireland rarely "needed" but having said that you may just arrive for our 2 hours of "heatwave" which is as regular as clockwork every 42 years, usually a blue moon at night!
I don't know if you are familiar with the Emerald Isle but it sounds to me like you may imagine it to be small and that you can get around to "all" the caches in whatever amount of time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Driving around Ireland can be laboriously slow, especially during the tourist season. Towns and cities have major traffic problems. While we have some motorways, the smaller rural roads can add huge chunks of time to your journeys. The signposting on these you will find "quaint", to say the least!

Welcome! Hope you have a blast!!

pli

Post by pli » Wed May 23, 2007 11:00 am

Thanks for the warning.

We're a bit aquainted, been to Dublin two years ago, and a little in the rural areas, but under other conditions.

We have of course to buy some books and find out where to go, and I don't expect more than 10 caches a day :D. What I would avoid, is to be there, and then no cache info at all!

/p

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Wed May 23, 2007 2:08 pm

dino wrote:You may have that problem already if you use Additional Waypoints. They count as waypoints on the GPS and will easily push you over your 1000 limit if you try to carry all the Irish caches on it.
You can get around this by uploading them as POI's. Then you are only limited by the storage memory. However if you have the Geocaching feature on your GPS it won't work for POI's. Fair trade off though.