March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

The Kingdom of Kerry!

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hello, I'm Johnny Cache
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Kingdom of Kerry!

Post by Hello, I'm Johnny Cache » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi guys im heading down to Kerry on the last weekend in march. Its the 30th and 31st. Can anyone recommend some interesting places to go. They dont necessarily have to be cache orientated. Thanks in advance.

Jan

Bootle
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Bootle » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:15 pm

I don’t think you can go too far wrong with Kerry. The Dingle peninsula is well worth a visit – great scenery – beautiful mountains, beaches, sea, islands, nice villages… Cool for a bit of walking or driving or just chilling out… The Iveragh peninsula / Ring of Kerry is also beautiful from my fading childhood memories. Apart from that Listowel is grand, Kilorglin has a funky railway bridge and a statue of a goat, Killarney has a really nice national park and Tarbert has a great power station if you’re into that sort of thing. Marcus and some other folks could probably recommend you more specific things to see.
hello...

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm

If you like hill walking, the Kerry Way is far and away the best way to do the Ring of Kerry. Usually about 500 to 1000 feet above the road on tracks etc. Some of the best scenery you will ever see!!! I guess you won't have enough time to see much of that but nice to know anyway.
Killarney town is great for the bit of craic and there is always something happening like festivals or whatever. Your dates coincide with the usual influx of Americans and other foreigners for Paddy's Day (well, they will still be around then doing the "Ireland" tour) so there will be quite a buzz about the town, particularly at night in the pubs. Muckross House and a boat trip on the lake worth a look. Drive around the Ring and great places to stop for lunches or anything else, Killorglin, Glenbeigh, Caherciveen, Waterville, Caherdaniel, Sneem and Kenmare, all fabulous places to visit and some fantastic pubs. Pat Spillane's place between Sneem and Kenmare does a sea food chowder to DIE for!!!!
Ah! Putting the longin' on me you are!!
Much more knowledgeable locals will give you more detail I'm sure. Some of the best caches in the whole island down around there. Atlantic Whirpool, Dutch 4, Highlands of Kerry, The Liberator, Beginish Island, Dingle Dangle and many many more!

Hello, I'm Johnny Cache

Post by Hello, I'm Johnny Cache » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:11 pm

Cool thanks guys! Staying in Caherdaniel so will visit a few of those places.

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: The Kingdom of Kerry!

Post by klaus23 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Hello, I'm Johnny Cache wrote:They dont necessarily have to be cache orientated.
What he's not telling you, lads, is that he's going for a drrrrrty weekend with the missus and he's looking for some romantic spots.

I'm not joking... :wink:

MadraRua

Re: The Kingdom of Kerry!

Post by MadraRua » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:23 pm

klaus23 wrote:
Hello, I'm Johnny Cache wrote:They dont necessarily have to be cache orientated.
What he's not telling you, lads, is that he's going for a drrrrrty weekend with the missus and he's looking for some romantic spots.
I'm not joking... :wink:
What!? First Klaus and now Jan?! What's going on?
Check with Marcus Jan. He knows that corner of the Kingdom like is back pocket.
If you ask him nicely he might take you on a boat trip to 'his' island.

I'd also recommend Valencia and the chocolate factory in Ballinskelligs.
Waterville and Lough Currane is nice too.
Glenbeigh you already know. There were two new caches with romatic walks - but they have been stolen :(

Hello, I'm Johnny Cache

Post by Hello, I'm Johnny Cache » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm

Thanks guys! And thanks klaus! For anyone interested we are staying at picin cottage in Caherdaniel.
http://www.picincottage.com/Home.html

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klaus23 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Hello, I'm Johnny Cache wrote:For anyone interested we are staying at picin cottage in Caherdaniel.
There's other websites for that car-keys-in-the-fruitbowl carry-on, young man... :wink: