March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Lithuania in August

Use this forum To announce a destination you might be heading To.

Moderator: GCI Admins

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Lithuania in August

Post by daraconn » Fri May 26, 2006 8:09 am

I'm off TO Lithuania FOR a week WITH a GROUP OF friends later this summer. It will be my SECOND visit, but I hadn't even heard of geocaching last time!

It turns out that caches ARE very thin ON the ground IN Lithuania - there ARE 16 IN total, OF which several ARE credibly reported TO be missing, two ARE accessible mainly (OR ONLY) by water, one IS IN a forbidden ZONE AT the Russian border AND hence completely inaccessible.

Out OF 16, an amazing 9 have NO "FOUND" logs AT ALL. However a couple OF times, FOREIGN cachers mentioned that there were far MORE entries IN the physical log than appear ON the website. This makes me suspect that there IS a parallel system IN operation WHERE cache finds ARE being reported somewhere ELSE online. It's even possible that caches are being published in this parallel system and not appearing on gc.com.

ON the good side, I've identified several caches that appear to be active and that we could realistically visit - 3 near Vilnius, one near Kaunas.

Shay

Post by Shay » Fri May 26, 2006 12:37 pm

In Hungary, the listings on geocaching.com aren't always accurate OR give proper inforamtion. SOME logs say TO CHECK out geocaching.hu.

If you try geocaching.li you GET forwarded TO geocaching.ch, maybe this will have MORE information if you can GET someone TO TRANSLATE!

EDIT: actually li IS FOR Liechtenstein, lt IS Lithuania which doesn't have an obvious url.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Fri May 26, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks for the tip, Shay. That's interesting about Hungary. I wonder why the main gc.com site isn't used by preference. Is it perhaps because of the language?

I did find www.gps.lt/geocaching AND www.gps.lt/forum (which includes a geocaching forum) but neither OF these seem TO include listings, nor mentions OF "phantom" caches.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Wed May 31, 2006 11:17 am

As a follow-up, I note from the gps.lt forums (which are not terribly active) that there are actually no phantom caches. In fact, two recent threads are on the subject of why there are so few caches in Lithuania, by comparison with similar-sized or smaller countries like Latvia (47), Estonia (326) and Luxembourg (92). They could have added Ireland to that list!

TO me, it's simple: if there are very few caches, people won't develop OR sustain an interest IN caching, AND there won't be an active caching community to place new caches. It's a vicious circle.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:05 am

Geocaching in Lithuania seems to have broken out of its long period of stagnation and is growing fast - since I posted in May the number of caches has grown from 16 to 37. Ireland must have gone through a similar initial spurt of growth at some stage; I wonder if anyone here remembers that?

Anyway, I'll have time to find a couple of caches over there (won't be able to set aside much time for caching, unfortunately), so if anyone wants to send a coin or a bug that way, drop it into Marlay Cache before Wednesday evening and send me an email.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:14 pm

Just back yesterday, and managed to find 4 caches in Lithuania and 1 in Latvia. Could have found more, but geocaching had to take its place alongside other activities, and while my travelling companions are patient people, some compromise is necessary!

The 4 Lithuanian ones were all quite traditional, easy finds, and all scored highly in terms of the location being well worth a visit. Two (Vilnius High and Nida Cache) were in places I knew well from previous visits, before I started caching. The other two (RumsiskesLBM and Palanga Botanical Park) were either scheduled stop-offs or a short detour off our route.

In Latvia, I had one relatively easy find (an urban micro called Casement Cache) and one slightly bizarre DNF: Bastejkalns strikes again. This one appears to be hidden under a manhole cover in a city park. The cache description refers to a waypoint where you can find the necessary "gear" to open it, being sure to come at night and bring a helper. But the whole enterprise seemed extremely dubious to me and likely to result in spending a night in a police cell.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:29 pm

Off to Lithuania again tomorrow, and it's amazing how much has changed over the past 6 months - 12 (mainly micro) caches within the Vilnius city centre area alone. I should be able to spend some time caching around the city on Monday. It will be interesting to see what it's like caching in the snow (and the cold!).