March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Year gone and following year

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Year gone and following year

Post by theswerve » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Sooo....2015 has been and gone....hope everybody reached their goal for the year..

Myself...I set out to,
1..keep the daily streak going...
2..to keep the monthly FTF going and
3..to beat my previous years finds...
All 3 achieved..beat my yearly finds no problem(1250)...Just about kept the FTF streak going and thanks to all the COs,the daily streak keeps alive

So,,whats for 2016...Hopefully finish off round 3 of the D/T grid (5) and get all the european jasmars done...Think about 8 or so...must check Project-GC

So,,whats your aim for 2016

Mervyn

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Year gone and following year

Post by TXLiz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:12 am

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle”
~ Albert Einstein
“And, in the end ..The love you take
is equal to the love you make”
~ Paul McCartney
Happy Caching in the New Year, Y'aLL!
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:42 pm

theswerve wrote:Sooo....2015 has been and gone....hope everybody reached their goal for the year..

So,,whats your aim for 2016
2015 was the year that the Walk in the Garden bug bit me and bit deep. No finds up to August and 13 since then. This year I hope to do more for themselves, and to contribute to the completion of further challenges. Beyond the Garden, I also hope to spend more time in the Mournes. pay my respects to Galtymore, then Carrauntoohil by way of the Coumloughra Horseshoe.

2015 saw me cache East of the Prime Meridian for the first time, complete the 32 County and NW Evil Challenges and make driving route decisions based on Jasmer needs rather than shortest distance :).

But the best memories are with the company kept :wink:.

gilgameshepic
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by gilgameshepic » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Mine are fairly simple in comparison. To try and get out caching more every month, to log more finds than 2015, (200 thereabouts), and to get to more events. Always seem to not find the time to go, and end up missing out on the fun.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.