March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Online geo-shopping

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Online geo-shopping

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:42 pm

F.Y.I. : -

Oct 20th - ordered geo-goodies from pulse72 http://www.pulse72geocaching.co.uk/

Nov 4th - email sent to them as no goods arrived

Nov 10th - no response was received from them. Had to text them to try get in touch with them to which I got a response that evening saying they would check their emails tomorrow.

Nov 12th - Texted them again because I hadn't heard back. Got a response saying they would post order to me tomorrow and it looks like the first had gone missing.

Nov 13th - I emailed them for confirmation when the package had been posted. They replied same day to say it was posted and it should take 2days..."Sorry again about the delay! Very uncharecteristic of us ;)"

Dec 02nd - No geo-goodies received. Email sent requesting refund.

Dec 03rd - 2 responses received. The first saying "Sorry to hear this. Not sure what is happening here. We have sent the order twice…Will of course refund if they haven’t arrived" The second saying "I’m really sorry but I’m struggling to find your order, Was it ebay or our webshop?"

Dec 04th - I forwarded original order email that I got when I made the order. We confirmed the correct delivery address and I said I wasn't willing to wait further and wished the matter to be resolved quickly to wish I got the reply "I will refund your payment ASAP, Sorry again about this, but I must stress, they were posted" later today, refund was received.

I thought I should share this experience with everyone and begin this thread so others can share their own online geo-shopping experiences, good or bad. Were do you buy your geo-goodies? Who do you recommend? Who do you not?

Previous to this geo-goodies ordering disaster, I shopped here: http://www.worldcaching.com/ (Canadian store!) I wanted somewhere closer (only because I thought it would arrive quicker! HA!) to home WITH the kinda stuff I wanted which was why I went for Pulse72 over other UK stores. I don't mind when delays or mistakes happen, what I do note Is how something is dealt with when these things do happen.

- Abbey

sgtzara
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Re: Online geo-shopping

Post by sgtzara » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:16 pm

I confess I'm a bit of a geocaching 'tart'. Don't stick to any particular store. Probably the majority of my purchases have been from various random e-bay sellers. I have bought several things from Pulse72 though on different occasions. Only one small blip when I ordered a geocoin from their e-bay store which as it turned out, they didn't actually have in stock. Advised me of this quickly mind and asked if I was happy to wait a week or so until it arrived back in stock or if not, I could have a refund. Was in no panic for it and settled for the first and fair dues, it arrived within the fortnight.

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Title: Horse LOL

Post by Yer_Man » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Oh Abbey, Sorry to hear of your Geo shopping troubles...
BUT I am a BIG fan of Pulse72.

When I didn't know any better, I did my very 1st bit of Geo shopping in USA c/o Ebay- the guy said I was his 1st Irish customer!

Then I discovered Pulse72 & gave him loads of orders- I was a bit pissed off that I couldn't click a "continue shopping" button on Ebay, because each thing I bought went through as a separate order & for days I was getting 2 or 3 packets by post LOL.
So, I now buy direct from their own online shop & they give you loyalty points. I think they are Great!

Best regards,
Yer_Man

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 pm

@ Yer_Man
:( yeah I thought the points idea was cool. Pity it didn't work for me. I'm sure they have tonnes of happy customers (otherwise they wouldn't be in business right?) but I wasn't one of them! :cry: couldn't possibly try order from them again. Wonder what happened to the posted parcels though...I liked their stock too!

@sgtzara
soooo...what you're saying is, I should be a bit more of a geocaching tart? :shock: interesting advice :lol: :wink:
glad to hear you had a good shopping experience with them. I know it's the same anywhere you shop, you'll have good and bad shopping experiences but when it's geo-goodies shopping and the order doesn't arrive, well it's akin to someone who likes Christmas waiting for Christmas day to arrive and it never does :( imagine! :shock: :lol:

Never shopped on ebay...hmmm...there's a thought.

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Denise, I've ordered from Pulse loads of times and had absolutely no issues. They're my second favourite website for geo-goodies. My favourite is geocoinshop.de - German website (although they have an English version); I like their selection and again I've had no issues with them. I just ordered another geocoin from them today (must. Stop. Buying. Geocoins).

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Yer_Man » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Eh Abbey....I bet ur nosey neighbour got your parceles.
Here, how bout this...
Send me the details of what u want & I order it 4u & u can square it @ one of the Christmas get togethers,
it'll all be coola boola

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Yer_Man » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm

@sarah
Geocoins like shoes... a girl can never have enough
LOL

U'll be attending Geocoin detox after Christmas LOL

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:17 am

Sarah is spot-on... Geocoinshop.de is brilliant! Their range is fantastic, and their service and efficiency is, well, German!

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:50 am

I use base of tree.com and delivery has been quick. Package arrived last week with bonus geo swag thrown in... Nice touch!

sgtzara

Post by sgtzara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Anyone able to comment on the shipping cost of geocoinshop.de? Reasonable enough?

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:29 pm

@ sgtzara, I ordered one coin the other day and it was €4.90. When I order multiple items it's €6.90

sgtzara

Post by sgtzara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:45 pm

That's probably not what I wanted to hear Sarah. Now there's a strong possibility that I'm going to spend some money ............... :D

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:35 pm

They also give you free gifts when you spend certain amounts of money but don't forget to add the gift to your basket before checking out. Sorry, I'm just encouraging you now 8)

sgtzara

Post by sgtzara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Pah, bound to be a done deal now. The variety of stuff they have is amazing.

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:56 pm

New recommendation from me: adventure-caching.de
First time I've ordered from them and I just received the coin and the travel tag I ordered, plus they threw in a free tag!! Which is pretty awesome. Not sure if the website has an English version but I can help if anybody wants to order something :D

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:05 pm

Thanks for the tip-off Sarah...hadn't see them before
There's a little flag at the top of their webpage which allows you to view it it English, but I'm sure you don't need that!
We'll check that out too...

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm

By the way meant to say there's better value for fake rocks and cones which are very expensive on the .de website at €14.95 before postage... Check out your local Mr Price store which does them for €2.99 or less and there's no P&P charges involved. We've nabbed them while in Galway, Dublin and Carlow and are sure they can likely be got in their other branches too!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks TMSR will check out Mr.Price so [:D]

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 pm

€14.95 for a fake rock :shock:
I only looked at the geocoins and trackable tags, didn't realise how expensive they were for those things!

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Online geo-shoppingF

Post by Tmsr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 am

just placed my first order with geocinshop.de and will be interested to see how it goes. Thought their shipping was very good for the weight of the goods I needed so expect stereotypical efficiency!