March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Towns /Cities outside Dublin for great weekend of geocaching

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Wa wa
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Towns /Cities outside Dublin for great weekend of geocaching

Post by Wa wa » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a great town or city or costal location to visit for a weekend of Geocaching, either within or outside of Ireland. I am trying to pick a destination to meet with my brother who lives in Germany? Where is the place that you enjoyed the most and why ? Alternatively does your home town or city have something great to offer?
Any tips
Laura

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Towns /Cities outside Dublin for great weekend of geocac

Post by Tmsr » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:31 am

Hi Laura, That is a vast field to search, but it depends on how far you are looking to travel and where you are starting from.
For a fairly local outing, we enjoyed an event in Kilkenny a couple of yeArs ago as there is a good range of caches in an attractive walkable area, and a riverside trail and caches in interesting towns nearby. There's plenty of accommodation and alternatively the proximity to Dublin makes it a day trip possibility either.

bawnman
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by bawnman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:00 pm

An hour's drive north from Dublin to Newry and Armagh, some great caches and a lot of History.

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m
Title: **Child**

Post by diosma1 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Nenagh :D. Just kidding, there's nothing here. To be honest I'd recommend Waterford. It's around a 2 hour train from Dublin (and 2 hours to drive too). It has a wide variety of caches with many things to do. There's a great puzzle that I didn't get to try. Waterford, while not on the coast has a beautiful river running through it with boats passing through the city.

No doubt that's what I recommend. It would be a fantastic day trip, the caches aren't too hard. Only downside is the weather :D

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:56 am

Train to Waterford passes and stops at Kilkenny, you could split your time between the two cities, only 30 mins on the motorway but go the scenic route and collect the boxes!!

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m
Title: **Child**

Post by diosma1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Serapis wrote:Train to Waterford passes and stops at Kilkenny, you could split your time between the two cities, only 30 mins on the motorway but go the scenic route and collect the boxes!!
That would actually be a great idea!

Wa wa
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Wa wa » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions :D
Very kind of you all
Laura