March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Unsociable Hours Caching

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Yer_Man
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Title: Horse LOL

Unsociable Hours Caching

Post by Yer_Man » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:07 pm

Heya guys!
I was quited shocked when I spotted the FTF's of recent caches logged at 02:28 & 03:00!!! This is INSANE!
I noticed also that a cacher posted that while searching for various caches, he was intercepted by the neighbourhood watch!
Seriously guys! We don't want to attract bad press or have anyone arrested!
Anyone looking for caches in the countryside at night could be shot by a resident for alleged trespassing or attempted burglary!
Could the reviewer or cache publisher insist of caching during daylight hours? & make it safe for everyone.
Just a thought.
Yer_Man

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Unsociable Hours Caching

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Well it's a bit late to be getting this kind of feedback! :twisted:

The gardaí have already been called on cachers on numerous occasions. The bomb squad too. I recall a couple of caches getting blown up. Makes for a far more interesting log don't you think, when the gardaí are involved? :wink:
you might not have come across too many of theses incidents yet but here's a funny one were the gardaí actually signed the logbook :lol:
logbook signed by gardaí.jpg
That's from GC47WTM BRPT - 29 Harbour Rd (March 2013)
It's even funnier that the cachers who were thought to have been the drug dealers DNF'd the cache #-o

Anyone else got some neighbourhood watch, police, bomb squad stories?

A trucker called the cops on Ackbar while he was looking for a cache by Dublin Airport. I think there's a few of those stories around.

I think it's funny that you say someone could get shot and in the countryside too...did we weigh anchor and drift across to the States while I slept last night & isn't it funny to think you would be less likely to get shot in the city...

and if a cacher gets shot for attempted burglary, they definitely weren't doing it right :D What the blazes would they have to be caught doing to get shot for attempted burglary? :lol: No shootings of cachers stories that I can recall anyway...

...and why would you be less likely to be shot in the daytime? Is that because the shotgun toting farmers are busy milking the cows? Top tip - thank you :wink:

Sounds like marshal law giving cachers a curfew. Would it not make more sense to inquire after the caches being published in the morning time instead of insisting cachers cache during daylight...NOT that i'm inquiring after that! :-D especially given the fact that I was out after dark on a FTF hunt last night (had to settle for STF)

- Abbey

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:20 pm

My two cents: if you don't feel comfortable looking for caches at 3am, don't go and find them. Everyone plays the game their own way, each to their own. If they're not worried, you shouldn't be. It's not as if it's widely reported in the news every week that yet again a geocacher was shot by a homeowner who thought they were trespassing. :shock:
And it's not the reviewers' jobs to 'babysit' geocachers and tell them when they can go out caching.... I actually find the suggestion somewhat ludicrous :lol: I'm sure Inishanier and Croaghan have better things to do then put cachers on the naughty step for getting an FTF in the middle of the night :lol: :lol:

Cache&Cookies
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Cache&Cookies » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 am

I also think there should be a rule about unsociable/cynical logs or criticizing caches as opposed to saying thanks for the time spent placing them there and maintaining them.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

..another rule? :?
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:06 am

Another thing to keep in mind is the local txt alert committee. My brother in rural Co Louth is part of one and the stuff that gets txted out is mad altogether and also quite funny. There are plenty of people out there with nothing else to do but watch out for strangers in their neighbourhood and jump to far fetched conclusions!

As for looking for caches at 3.00am - yeah sure go for it, but you probably need your head examined.

Will try and find HEADLINE from Mid Louth Independent a few months back and post it up...

B

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:28 am

Bomb Alert.JPG
Here it is....