March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

How cute is that :D

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

How cute is that :D

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Basic Member.jpg
Basic Member.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
AbbeyAckbar, Basic Member O:)

I just spotted this when I couldn't understand why I couldn't see certain cache listings and it was telling me to upgrade to premium membership and i'm thinking I am a premium member... not so, membership is up for renewal and they made me a basic member (without giving us notification that our premium membership was up for renewal come to think of it :-k I'm sure we used to get those emails...)

- Abbey

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: How cute is that :D

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:29 pm

The novelty has wore off now and it's less cute with each frustrating minute that passes as I try to upgrade :evil:
tried each link in the payment section:auto-renewal yearly, one-off year, 3mth...nada. Then I tried to think of another way of upgrading so I thought of gifting the premium membership to myself :-D but they don't remember me anymore, sniff... :( Jeez, I'm just a day or two out of the premium membership and they can't remember our name already :lol: tough club
not found.jpg
not found.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
tried all lowercase, tried with a space...nothing worked. At least I can log in as AbbeyAckbar so I exist in there somewhere. I love the "check the spelling and try again!" the exclamation mark hammering it home that i'm the dumbass who can't spell my own name. Where's the "How about you check your database and you try again!!" button :roll: or the "If your upgrade link worked I wouldn't have to try alternative methods to upgrade" button ](*,)

- Abbey

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:01 pm

If you can log in it should work...
Try going through the quick view menu...On the right hand side below where it says Hello AbbeyAckbar there is a link to renew membership which brings you to a seperate page where you scroll to the bottom and Go Premium and renew there....Just a thought...

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Were you *really* the worldwide Geocacher of the month...?!

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:41 pm

theswerve wrote:If you can log in it should work...
Try going through the quick view menu...On the right hand side below where it says Hello AbbeyAckbar there is a link to renew membership which brings you to a seperate page where you scroll to the bottom and Go Premium and renew there....Just a thought...
tried that - didn't work. the page just won't load.
Doug.G wrote:Were you *really* the worldwide Geocacher of the month...?!
Yes 8)

dino

Post by dino » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:47 am

Email Groundspeak. I don't think you can receive a PM gift if you have already been a PM :(
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dino

Post by dino » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 am

Oh and there is a cheaper way to buy membership. I've seen it on Facebook but can't remember how. Maybe someone else here has used it. Eileen possibly?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Back in business 8)

I contacted HQ and got a reply that said " This was a known bug that has now been resolved. "
So what did I miss...(finally able to look at the geo-map without the couple 100 smileys obscuring my view) where did that new tradi in Dalkey come from, who put that new cache in Bayside - BAYSIDE!, a rare Northside cache publication and I don't get a notification about it, typical :roll: OoOOoh, new puzzle, what's that about. Ok, can't type anymore, got some caching up to do :lol:

- Abbey

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:09 am

abbeyackbar wrote:Back in business 8)

I contacted HQ and got a reply that said " This was a known bug that has now been resolved. "
So what did I miss...(finally able to look at the geo-map without the couple 100 smileys obscuring my view) where did that new tradi in Dalkey come from, who put that new cache in Bayside - BAYSIDE!, a rare Northside cache publication and I don't get a notification about it, typical :roll: OoOOoh, new puzzle, what's that about. Ok, can't type anymore, got some caching up to do :lol:

- Abbey
Welcome back 8) 8) 8)