March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

County blitz

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

County blitz

Post by fitzet » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Earlier this week, I had an opportunity to take a scenic route from Dublin Airport to Goresbridge. The route I took included logging caches in 7 counties, 5 of which were 'new'. Self awareness, and over 300 miles of driving, made me realise that this was not rational activity.

As Dublin went through the motions of the second half against Monaghan, I was browsing in project-gc and noticed that two prominent Dublin cachers had engaged in a similar activity in the same week, independent of each other.

Is there something in the water :oops: :roll: 8) ?

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: County blitz

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Not the water, but perhaps the moon :wink:

I noticed a particularly big bright full moon last night. Turns out the full moon is set for 1910 tomorrow http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/moo ... .html?n=78 and not only that, tomorrow's full moon is a "Super Full Moon" http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/mo ... -moon.html It is said that anything can happen during and leading up to a full moon as it effects peoples behaviour. So even the most level headed person normally, can make taking the least direct route to their destination (just to pick off several counties on their geo-map) seem like rational behaviour...

...i'm hoping for clear skies tomorrow so I can see the Super moon 8)
(that's if i'm not too busy seeking tupperware with a piece of paper inside that I just have to sign :twisted: :skull 8))

- Abbey

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Something in the water...? Definitely something at the bar at the end of a crazy 9-county day..
Attachments
image.jpg

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:18 pm

So you don't always take the shortest route :)
The Shortest Route.jpg
The Shortest Route.jpg (3.04 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
- Abbey

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 pm

The "Super Moon". I took this photo a few minutes ago:
Super Moon.jpg
Came across this article about the night sky tonight:
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ne ... 97064.html