March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

7 Souvenirs of August

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 7 Souvenirs of August

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:09 pm

eh, why does my profile have a Souvenir for the socializer? I haven't attended an event in August...yet. I have the explorer souvenir too which is right as I've found plenty of traditionals. Anybody else have a 7 Souvenirs of August souvenir that they shouldn't have?

- Abbey

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Doug.G » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am

Maybe it's honorary? ...bestowed by Groundspeak on the select few.

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:16 pm

abbeyackbar wrote:eh, why does my profile have a Souvenir for the socializer? I haven't attended an event in August...yet. I have the explorer souvenir too which is right as I've found plenty of traditionals. Anybody else have a 7 Souvenirs of August souvenir that they shouldn't have?

- Abbey
Doug.G wrote:Maybe it's honorary? ...bestowed by Groundspeak on the select few.
Did you log a 'will attend'? Maybe that triggered it?

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:40 am

I contactd HQ & apparently I received it a little early for the event I attended on the 30th July

- Abbey

dino

Post by dino » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am

Probably a timezone thing. It was probably the 1st of August in Seattle :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Nomen Luni
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by Nomen Luni » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Three down, three to go. The mystery cache will be the most awkward. Closest one is in Carrick-on-Suir but I will be attending Sarahmur's event next Monday so I had a look around and the phone box one in Dawson Street looks like a lot of fun.

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 am

Done, all seven are now on the souvenir page. Not quite as though as last year though

Nomen Luni

Post by Nomen Luni » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 am

Got the seventh souvenir yesterday. Yay!

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Just snuck over the line before the end of the month thanks to Abbey Ackbar (for the only unfound letterbox within about 100 miles) and to sarahmur for organising a very enjoyable event.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 am

Have to find a Multi and a Letterbox hybrid...and they've got to be done on Saturday...Panic! :shock: (please don't rain, please don't rain, please don't rain... [-o<)

- Abbey

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:45 pm

55681... did the first 5 on one short evening in Scotland - and neglected to log an earthcache until now... tut, tut, tut! Still and all - job done! 8)
Image Image