March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

7 Souvenirs of August

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

7 Souvenirs of August

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:02 pm

7 Souvenirs of August - "This August, your mission is to explore more of the geocaching universe. Find specific geocache types and earn six unique souvenirs for your geocaching profile. Earn all six and you'll be among the super-cachers that unlock a special seventh souvenir"

1. Explorer - Tradi
2. Puzzler - Mystery
3. Sightseer - Multi
4. NatureLover - CITO or Earthcache
5. Socializer - Event
6. Collector - Virtual/WerIgo/Webcam/LBH
7. The Achiever is the bonus Souvenir attained by collecting all the others first.

Who is accepting this mission? Are you a super-cacher? :D

The tradi will be the easiest to pick off

The mystery will be one of my stock pile for the great date puzzle challengehttp://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3G ... -challenge for which I need to find one that month anyway.

The Multi - this is were it gets a little trickier with far fewer unfound ones left, but you only need one right :D so maybe a re-visit to St.Catherine's Park http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4A ... rines-park to finish #1 8) and simultaneously knock one off the to-do list for the Dublin's Top 20 Multi Challenge...http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4M ... -challenge

How fortuitous (for me :twisted:) that Christ Church Cathedral Earthcache http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC56 ... -cathedral was published recently and I haven't "found" it yet which takes care of the NatureLover Souvenir as there are no upcoming local CITOs published...yet.

The event for the Socializer should be easy too (pending I don't get another bout of the apocalyptic flu i'm recovering from :skull)

Now...The Collector...that's the trickiest one I think for me with no close unfound Virtual or Webcam. There is the Wherigo: LOTR #6 On Their Trail http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4H ... heir-trail or maybe the LBH: Lehaunstown Power Trail http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4R ... ower-trail

What's your list? Is everyone covered or are you short one? Could get people thinking of publishing different cache types for that month. Could get me motivated to publish a few unfinished ones I have too.

- Abbey

sgtzara
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 7 Souvenirs of August

Post by sgtzara » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Naturally the challenge is accepted. I'd hope to get all 7 too.

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:48 pm

I hope to get all 7 too. Will get a lot of these while at the UK mega :)

sgtzara

Post by sgtzara » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:25 pm

Likewise, we'll hopefully tick off a few boxes at the Mega - not long now, was printing out tickets & stuff for it the other day. Can't wait!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm hoping to get this one too. The hardest for me will be the Socializer. Last I looked there was only one Event in Dublin in August, and if I can't make that I'm not sure I can get it.

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:44 pm

I could be persuaded to have a small event to celebrate my year of geocaching on August 25th? It's a Monday. Thoughts?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:43 am

That would be good, especially if it's in Bray ;)
I see there's now also a Chatty cache published, so things are looking up.
My main issue is I am expecting baby #2 in the next 2 weeks so not sure how much free time I'll have soon.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 am

The Chatty Cache is actually 30th July - sorry - but we could easily have another event a the start or middle of August then people have a choice & if they miss it they could hit your's Sarah, or the Cruinniu one - both nearer the end of August. I wouldn't make Bray area on a Monday evening / night. :(
Abbey are you thinking of one in the city centre at the start or middle of the month? let us know and if not we'll see what we can russle up.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:30 am

Eileen I was thinking the Mespil Hotel actually, not Bray. I'll go ahead and set it up for 25th August

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Just submitted an event for 25th August in the Mespil :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Excellent - great venue. Went down well at the last one :D

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm

International Geocaching Day is Saturday August 16th. I was thinking of hosting a CITO for it...

- Abbey

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:12 pm

abbeyackbar wrote:International Geocaching Day is Saturday August 16th. I was thinking of hosting a CITO for it...

- Abbey
Great idea! :D

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Fjon wrote:That would be good, especially if it's in Bray ;)
I see there's now also a Chatty cache published, so things are looking up.
My main issue is I am expecting baby #2 in the next 2 weeks so not sure how much free time I'll have soon.
I'm guessing, in this instance, the equation is 1+1=0 :)
until you can achieve this :lol: :
cute.png
cute.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
so...by late August then :wink:
All the best to you and Enigmafish (and Babyfish! :D) Looking forward to meeting the newest member of the family at an event sometime :)

- Abbey

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:23 pm

abbeyackbar wrote: All the best to you and Enigmafish (and Babyfish! :D) Looking forward to meeting the newest member of the family at an event sometime :)

- Abbey
Looks like baby decided to come a little early, i.e. today!! congrats Fjon, Enigmafish and big sister Babyfish :D :D :D

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Congratulations!! =D> =D> :-$ :-$ :-$
Up is good!!

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:29 pm

More of a July souvenir, really, then? :lol:
Image Image

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:01 am

Yep, now there are 3 girls in the household. Need to think of a new caching name - think I'll use Babyfjon.
I've also got leave for one event in August, and the CITO so all is good.
Let the sleepless nights begin.

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Wooohoo....#4283 in the world...
Thats it for august now...What to do next...Jasmers???...Still have two to qualify for the gold and platinum...one up a mountain and the other on an island out west...might spend a weekend in Galway to get one of them..

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

7 Souvenirs of August

Post by Doug.G » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:08 am

Right behind you Merv... I'm in at #5230... with the Achill Island Earth Cache in West Mayo rounding out my August souvenir collection.