March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Cache Q - Bluestack Mts. WW2 Crash Site, Co. Donegal

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Cache Q - Bluestack Mts. WW2 Crash Site, Co. Donegal

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you could help me. In WW2 an RAF Sunderland crashed in the Bluestack Mountains in Co. Donegal after being diverted towards Castle Archdale RAF base outside Enniskillen.

I seem to faintly recall that there was a geocache placed there some time ago, the reason I ask is that from my recollection it's quite a remote walk and I was hoping to have the geocache co-ords as (part of) a navigational aid. I tried to search geocaching.com but now that there are so many caches it was difficult to pick the listing out. Does anyone know this cache, assuming it is still a live listing and would you be able to link to it?

Many thanks in advance
Klaus

http://www.finnvalley.ie/glenfin/other/ ... hrist.html
http://iwwguide.files.wordpress.com/201 ... h-site.pdf

klaus23
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Cache Q - Bluestack Mts. WW2 Crash Site, Co. Donegal

Post by klaus23 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Ah - I found it. http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCREPD_blue-away

Has anybody on here done this? Seems like a 5hr walk from the logs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Despite it being one of my closest unfound I've never been up to it. It's tough terrain with no easy way to access. Netdrum used to have a cache nearby and TeamHousty helped him with it. Might be worth asking one of them for a suitable route.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Also check out MountainViews.ie Track 1457 and 2170. That's probably the best way to go.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

bluestackboy
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by bluestackboy » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 am

Hi, sorry it's taken till now to reply to your query. The answer is 'Yes', the cache is very much active. It is called Blue Away.
Good luck if you decide to log it.
Bluestackboy.