March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Barrow and Nore

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Barrow and Nore

Post by Serapis » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:30 am

I passed over the Barrow & Nore this morning and both have burst their banks. Hard to see where the river is, just a mass of water. I think all caches along the banks are probably out of bound for the minute. :?

haggaeus
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Barrow and Nore

Post by haggaeus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Yes it was a nice ride down the river from Monasterevin to Athy two weeks ago.
Only one cache at that part of the river though, and I forgot to load it into my GPS, so I just enjoyed the fast flow and took some pictures :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:43 am

Some really nice shots there Haggaeus =D> =D> =D>

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:40 am

Super pictures...wonder if it has improved recently. We have one blank on the Nore river trail nearer the Bennettsbridge end and are in the area Sunday morning?
Last edited by Tmsr on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Having seen a find logged yesterday, we thought we'd take a spin out that way today. We had wellies with us but the amount of flooding in the fields adjoining the Bennettsbridge starting end put us off, and we continued on to Waterford. We'll be back when it's drier!

Mini-Tap
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by Mini-Tap » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Don't forget the Suir.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:18 am

Sure who could... OK I'll get me coat!