March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New recruit trying to log every cache in Ireland in one day!

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

New recruit trying to log every cache in Ireland in one day!

Post by Tmsr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Doug G just noticed a newbie who is logging hundreds of caches today.
Member: ottm143
CACHES FOUND
Member Since:Sunday, 09 February 2014 : Last Visit:Sunday, 09 February 2014

He's been pretty busy allegedly from Inishdugga to Youghal to Dundalk and Dublin - seems islands, mountains, tides and all those challenges are no problem to this energetic rookie. he must ha.ve been wind assisted
I've deleted the found log on one of mine in Artane, but he should be appearing on the leaderboards fairly soon...!
Creative and appreciative too - log entries are all TFTC...

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: New recruit trying to log every cache in Ireland in one

Post by Serapis » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Tony, you beat me two it.........

Not bad for a first day!
Attachments
First Day.jpg

Bootle

Post by Bootle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:50 pm

The Milestone Congratulations Thread needs to be updated a few times for this guy! :D

I wonder is he part of a team and is logging his finds separately? It would be helpful if this was put in his logs though, as I'm sort of tempted just to delete his logs on my caches.
hello...

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:12 pm

the person who logged all those caches today from cork to clare kilkenny carlow dundalk dublin and climbed a lot of mountains
has messed up -- all WATCH lists and people will recieve E-MAILS as finds
has logged- THE cache of bring back the cache with no information - has found caches that have been checked
to be defo gone ( check einstein logs in dublin city centre ) but this logger has found gone caches
its messing up the watch lists

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Eoin, I'm afraid I'm suspecting he's a solo chancer who discovered the website today and has mastered Ctrl C and Ctrl V rather than actually visiting any caches.

His achievement in managing the Bring back the Cache Challenge on his first day is certainly worthy of congratulation...he could have brought back any number of unarchived ones single-handedly from the comfort of his sofa
Wonder if he went up the Cooley mountains before he crossed to Inishdugga or was that on the way back from Youghal?
The feat of the likes of those early pioneers who did the country in 23 hours pales into comparison with this individual who not only visited all those counties but practically every cache amongst them.
Truly awesome! - wonder why I'm suspecting it's a male...

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:15 pm

It's definitely armchair logging! Not possible to have covered every corner of the island the way he's logged - he got to Clifden as well LOL - :D :D :D Maybe he has some kind of a tardis or other machine that we don't know about!
[-X [-X [-X

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:30 pm

does any one know what happens to someone logging like what happened today
should i delete watch list so i dont get e-mails that just says found tftc -????????????????

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:16 am

You are all being too cruel... It's obvious he wears a Red Cape with a Big "S" on his chest and his underwear outside his tights!!
That last part is highly appropriate for this guy.

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:03 am

Is it OTT and Medic143 playing a joke??

The Casual Geocacher

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:21 am

I've deleted his entries on the two caches of mine that he found, until he proves otherwise.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:37 am

Didn't 'log' any of mine, feeling left out :oops:.

:D

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Daithi2004 wrote:Is it OTT and Medic143 playing a joke??
Unless it's OTP? - doubt it - the M143 is interesting though - someone else abusing Medic perhaps?

Daithi2004
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by Daithi2004 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 pm

Didn't log mine only cache...

The Casual Geocacher

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Anyone try contacting them through their profile? I just did anyway. Seems a bit shoot first, ask questions later here. Just cause I don't know the reason behind this doesn't mean there isn't one. I'm thinking back logging, someone who found the caches as part of a team now going solo. Or they could just be doing it to see the reaction :lol: Doubt it's someone who just discovered the game, picked those caches at random and started logging. It must have taken a hell of a long tome to log those finds, even with a simple TFTC. Seems like a lot of effort for that.

Abbey

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:50 pm

If it was someone now going solo they should explain why they are logging a find under a name and date that is not signed on the logbooks. (in fact ask permission to do that)
Lots of talk on the various caching FB pages about this, people have checked logbooks etc and then deleted logs.
I do think it's someone taking the proverbial and sitting back to see the reaction. [-X [-X [-X

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Yeah, I agree, it would save a lot of grief if they had explained themselves in their logs (or sought permission). Perhaps they thought no one would notice! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't have bothered checking the logbooks on the caches of ours that they logged because it's a dead cert I wouldn't find their name in them because it's not possible they put their name, stamp or sticker in 200+ caches in one day...or is it...sounds like a challenge! who's up for it? anybody, anyone? no? no takers?, just me then 8-[ What about all the counties in 24hrs? County Challenge: The next Generation 8)

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 am

I doubt it is a team splitting up since he just found most of my caches around Kilkenny, including the series along the Nore which is from the autumn

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 am

28 TFTC logs now deleted, and his/hers found count down to 233

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:12 am

Probably just better for Graham or that other guy... what's his name again... Neill? ;) to just get GroundSpeak to lock the account and seek an explanation otherwise those BBTC's will be disrupted.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:29 pm

abbeyackbar wrote:Yeah, I agree, it would save a lot of grief if they had explained themselves in their logs (or sought permission). Perhaps they thought no one would notice! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't have bothered checking the logbooks on the caches of ours that they logged because it's a dead cert I wouldn't find their name in them because it's not possible they put their name, stamp or sticker in 200+ caches in one day...or is it...sounds like a challenge! who's up for it? anybody, anyone? no? no takers?, just me then 8-[ What about all the counties in 24hrs? County Challenge: The next Generation 8)
Afraid the 24 hrs All County Challenge was already done by a team (and in 23hrs) ...Donnacha, Hezekiah or some of those still around would be happy to tell the tale!