March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

I<3Geocaching

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

I<3Geocaching

Post by abbeyackbar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 pm

So the word is out. Just read the email about it.
"For the month of February every Premium Member will be able to hide one personalized, temporary geocache for one person. Once the geocache is found and logged by one account it is automatically archived"
Looking into it more on the blog next. Haven't got my head around it yet. http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/01/iheartgeocachingfaq/
Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about it so we can discuss it.

As an aside, I know it's meant to read I heart geocaching, but old fashioned me, not used to text speak just reads it as 'one less than 3 geocaching' :lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shocker 1: I can't believe they're promoting Love Locks :shock:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: I<3Geocaching

Post by TXLiz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:38 am

Had to Google "Love Locks" and saw this :shock:

https://www.google.com/search?q=love+lo ... 19&bih=398
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by theswerve » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

How to pick one person will be difficult without offending :roll: ....Who will i choose :?:

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:24 am

Feel free to hide as many as you want around the Blackrock area ;-)
I have had 3 STF's lately and have started to question my resolve at nabbing FTF's!!!?
So surely if only one person can actually make the Find, then I may actually stand a slim chance at being that person and cracking a FTF...

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:19 pm

From what I can gather, even if you found one of these caches, it wouldn't show up in statistics anyway so FTF would be moot Doug.
It will count to your overall finds, but won't show in stats. Weird. Not sure what to think of it.

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Feeling bad after having beaten you to a couple recently Doug, so I will offer you the opportunity to find one that I'll plant this month for you especially - once I get my head around this whole lab cache thingy!

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:52 pm

I just tried to create a second lab cache but it looks like you can't create more than one :mys
Is that right? am I doing something wrong? I just went into the link in the email received about creating labcaches on Feb 03rd and it says the lab cache has been created and found and cannot be edited and Ii don't see anywere to create a new one.

Bit of a bummer if you can only create one. Not much of a test if that's the case, because you can only trial one idea.

Abbey

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Yep - only one allowed per person. I remember reading that somewhere.

Which reminds me... I need to get cracking. February is running out!

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Crikey, had forgotten all about that... best get on with it...
Image Image

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:54 am

We've already done ours - I did one for himself for his birthday at the start of Feb - we had great fun with it - and then he did one for me for 14th Feb >3
Yes, you can only create one, yes it is archived as soon as it's logged. Yes it shows as a "lab" icon on your finds and yes it counts to your stats (another smilie )
Enjoy folks.

Didn't someone suggest at the last event about putting all the names in a hat and drawing out who to do one for - like Kris Kindle thing?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:23 pm

Further to a discussion on this topic at the Swedish Breakfast this morning - both Toffee Man & myself have checked our stats and the Lab cache is definitely counted in our totals.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Blue Jay wrote:Yes it shows as a "lab" icon on your finds and yes it counts to your stats
It adds to the total displayed on your public profile page, but it has no effect on your statistics page. The total count on my statistics page now lags one behind my profile. From the FAQ:
Q: Does a Lab Cache effect the statistics on my Geocaching profile page?
A: The short answer is, “It will in the future.” The current statistics system does not support Lab Cache finds, but it will in the future. We’ll keep you posted.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:02 pm

That's a bit mad - you'd think it would add on or not!