March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Community Maintenance of Old Caches

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by Croaghan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 pm

A member of the community steps forward, contacts a reviewer and agrees to be the nominated maintainer of the cache. The reviewer places an admin note on the cache indicating who the maintainer is. In the event that a cache has a NA log or a landowner issue then the community maintainer will be the primary point of contact. If the cache needs a coordinate change or a Needs Maintenance flag cleared then a reviewer will assist if contacted by the community maintainer. If a community maintainer decides to pass on maintenance then a reviewer needs to be contacted to make the necessary updates at the admin level.

A few points to note:

1. Every cache must have an individual member of GC.com taking responsibility for individual caches. It isn't enough to have a group of people acting like a committee taking care of a group of caches.

2. Reviewers will work with the original CO or a nominated community maintainer only.

3. This creates quite a bit of extra work for reviewers so please ensure that the caches being selected for this process are worthy of the extra work (old "historic" date or location, rare D/T combination, etc).

4. If the original CO resurfaces and decides to archive the listing then they have final say.

5. If a cache does not have a nominated maintainer and has a Needs Archived (NA) log posted then it will be actioned by a reviewer unless the original CO responds and performs cache maintenance. If they don't the cache will be archived. This also applies if the cache is being unofficially maintained by the community.

6. Please be 100% sure that the original CO has left the game or abandoned the cache and don't just assume so without making a determined effort to get in touch with them.
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Community Maintenance of Old Caches

Post by Spark_ie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:24 am

For a few years now, I've been looking after the Ancient Symbol multi cache in Dublin (GC1EQ2H).

Is there anyone interested in maintaining this cache into the future?

The original final location has been compromised, and now requires a new hide.

Cache has 24hrs before being archived, so if you're interested out your hand up fast :-)

dino

Post by dino » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Can you repost in the FB groups. You're more likely to get takers there. Also I'm sure Graham will give you a stay if you're trying to sort this one out.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Just posted on FB but I will take over if nobody else offers - only issue is I won't be able to replace until Wednesday as I'm in the UK . Let me know

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:31 pm

I will have to bow out of this one. The CO is not willing to let me adopt the cache. He is happy for someone to maintain while it stays in his name though, so if someone is happy to do it that way, they should contact him directly.

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Doug.G » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:35 pm

If the CO is being precious and not letting people adopt it, but still wants someone else to maintain it, then let it be archived to free up the location.

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Doug.G wrote:If the CO is being precious and not letting people adopt it, but still wants someone else to maintain it, then let it be archived to free up the location.
Looks like that will happen now

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 am

Afraid I agree on this one. If you cannot maintain a cache, archiving or adoption seems the best route unless your absence is a temporary one. With city centre caches being high maintenance from our experience, it is best to have control of the management of the cache should new location be required etc. We too were initially tempted to offer assistance, but think community maintenance works best when the CO is no longer a factor and no alternative exists...

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Last year after e-mail CO of Dun Eochla View on Inishmore http://coord.info/GCHEQ5 on NO REPLY I did maintenance to that cache (placed brand new container and log, etc) ....
This year I did similar story with 'First' in Europe (Co Kerrry) http://coord.info/GCG7JY

Don`t know yet what Island I will visit next but if there will be cache with some "problems" I will do my best. :mrgreen:

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Ancient Symbol got archived yesterday by Graham. Good call I say given whats happened. When someone offers to take over a cache that needs maintenance, for goodness sake let them adopt it.

Its sad though as we have lost one of our best caches, but this one should be remade I think.