March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Effect of Luas BxD on current Dublin city center caches

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Effect of Luas BxD on current Dublin city center caches

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:25 pm

As we all know, the government, balking at the cost of Metro North or the Dart Underground, are going to connect up the Luas lines in Dublin and extend them to Broombridge. Its going to make a massive difference to public transport in Dublin and can only be thought of as a good thing.

However, it looks like a number of our city center caches will have to go or be removed during the construction phase, as Heritage Works will move them.

Heres the brochure and an extract.

http://dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/10187/Lua ... nglish.pdf
Heritage wor ks
To ensure their protection, various monuments and statues of historic and
architectural importance along the route will be temporarily removed during the
construction works.
These items will be carefully recorded during dismantling and then put into secure storage during the
building activities. Once the construction works are completed, these items will be returned to the
streets and re-erected at locations to be agreed in the future. The key monuments and statues being
removed are:

1. Lady Grattan Fountain and two associated stone horse troughs from St. Stephen’s Green North;
2. The Steine Sculpture at D’Olier Street/College Street island; <- Ein Stein cache will have to be moved
3. The Thomas Moore Statue and Ulysses Plaque at College Street; <- Ulysses cache will have to be modified
4. The Molly Malone Statue on Grafton Street Lower; <- Learning Money And Seafood will probably have its final location blocked off
5. Fr. Theobald Mathew Statue on O’ Connell Street.
Other items such as lamp posts, railings, bollards and antique paving will be removed temporarily.
Its only minor, but these are some of our most famous caches in Dublin. Just flagging to the cache owners that changes will have to be made. Hopefully we'll be able to keep them all going at slightly different locations!

Others might be effected too. I can't see Art Deco Dublin - Gasworks surviving as it stands, but I'm sure we'll find something to replace it with!