March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

New look site

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
theswerve
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New look site

Post by theswerve » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:52 pm

At last as promised all traces of challenges have disappeared =D> =D>

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New look site

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Well spotted Swerve. The Challenges tab is still in our profile, I like their message in it
"In our effort to inspire outdoor play through Geocaching, we are often faced with decisions about what to focus on next, and what to focus on less. It is through these decisions that we explore opportunities to grow the global game of geocaching.

Occasionally, during this process, we are faced with the reality that certain ideas don't catch on as we had hoped. In these situations we owe it to ourselves and to you to make tough decisions about the future of every project and the resources to be applied to each. Sometimes, as a result, cool features must become casualties.

In this spirit, we have decided to retire Geocaching Challenges.

On an office wall here at HQ is a sign that reads, "Let's make better mistakes tomorrow." By accepting that we will sometimes get it wrong, we can allow ourselves to learn from and imagine new opportunities in the world of Geocaching. Our hope is we can take the lessons from Challenges and create better tools to guide you on your next adventure."

In otherwords: "You were right, Challenges sucked" :wink: :lol:
(or fill in the "In otherwords:__________" yourself ;))

I remember at the time there was this expectation of what they were going to bring out, and what they were doing was so hushed that people were able to come up with other ideas in the mean time :lol: , then when met with the reality it didn't match up to the ideas they had.

So long Challenges :cry:, though I won't notice you're gone, you were a Tab on our profile that was never visited.
Feel sorry for anyone who liked Challenge caching though. They came to an abrupt end. Imagine they suddenly took away something from the game or site that I cared for like...oh, I don't know, Trackables! or the gallery Tab :)

Abbey

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

Good riddance, it was always rubbish. I tried a few virtual ones and then got them removed from my profile as I felt durty!!!

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 am

I heard they might replace it with a QR code based games like munzies. This might be just hearsay though

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Surprised they got rid of challenges, and yet Waymarking remains. I guess more people have invested time in Waymarking.
I can't find the release notes for this update - usually they are posted in the forums.
I've noticed a few changes, most obvious being the redesign of a lot of the icons. I don't think I like the grey look of most of the new icons as it's very hard at a glance to make them out.
Take an event cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8ff26fe011
It's really not that easy to make out "Will Attend", "Write Note" and "Announcement" by icon alone.
One change I do like is there's now a link directly to your GC.com map right beside "Search for geocaches near your home location"

Also just noticed that sometimes that stars for Difficulty and Terrain are red, and sometimes they're blue. What's that about?

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Never liked them - never did one - won't miss them .
Fair play to them for recognizing that they were a mistake - onwards.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Is it me or has the smiley changed now???
Image Image

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 am

Spotted that yesterday. I don't really like the new smiley, much preferred not the old one, but the original one before it :(