March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

When is a power trail not a power trail ?

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

When is a power trail not a power trail ?

Post by fitzet » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 pm

I am considering setting 8/10 caches over a 2/3 mile walk. The individual locations will be far enough apart to not be too near each other. If I choose to group this set as a power trail, are there other conditions to fulfil, e.g. not enough caches to call it a power trail ?

I found on a thread on GC.com where someone posted that one should try to fit in as many as are possible, i.e. one every 500 feet ? Would the details above meet the criteria for a power trail ?

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: When is a power trail not a power trail ?

Post by klossner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Groundspeak removed the prohibition of power trails from the placement guidelines. In my city, at least, it has seriously hurt the game.

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm

I reckon the amount you have in mind is plenty to be consdered a power trail. I wouldn't necessarily agree that you should try to fit in as many as possible every 500ft-ish. It depends on the locations you want to place your caches, there may not be a suitable hiding spot every 500ft. I say go ahead and hide them and put them up for review, then the reviewer may let you know in a reviewer note if there's any issues with them. The longer you wait the more chance someone may hide a cache were you had planned to put one, It happens. So I say when you get an idea for a cache hide, go for it.
I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open for new cache notifications soon then eh :wink:
:sm

Abbey

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 am

Yep what Abbey said - go for it and I look forward to finding them too. :lol:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I definitely recommend going further apart than the minimum 161m. Just this week I had a CO submit 11 caches in a series and I had to send at least 4 of them back as they were too close to each other. It's not always that easy to ensure distance apart.

Also please bear in mind that this is just an arbitrary distance and the idea is to prevent over satuaration of an area. Before you place the series think to yourself if *every* location is good enough to be a standalone cache.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Before you place the series think to yourself if *every* location is good enough to be a standalone cache.
I've walked the route and taken note of approx. 10 locations for caches. Many of these would not, on their own, justify a cache. The rating for each will probably be 1/1.

The context of the powertrail is the prime consideration for the placement. In fact, I would be struggling to include anything noteworthy in the description for some of the caches, other than 'Cache X of Y in ZZZ powertrail' :oops:.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Look at the Blackrock Power Trail series in Dublin as to how to do a good power trail. Varied selection of boxes, interesting locations, close enough together (2-300m) and most are a nice little spot with a varied challenge.

Dont do what they do in the UK and have a film canister hidden in the briars by every stile or ditch on a looped walk! :)

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Couldn't have put it better Chris, those types of caches are just pointless!

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 am

Dont do what they do in the UK and have a film canister hidden in the briars by every stile or ditch on a looped walk!
Regardless of the container, the locations in mind would be just that. The point of setting these caches would be an incentive for people to walk a route that they might not otherwise do, or be aware of. I could place one at one end of the walk and a second at the other end, but those would then be stand-alone and capable of retrieval by car. The intention of having other caches, between the start and end, is to encourage the route to walked.

If each discrete cache should stand up to scrutiny as a stand-alone, most of what I have in mind will fail that test. But is that a fair test ? As I posted earlier, each is intended to be viewed in the context of the overall end to end walk, not individually.

Blackrock Power Trail is a good standard to aspire to, but if I cannot match that standard, should I just not bother ? That trail has two at Idrone Terrace where one is sufficient. Should the CO not have bothered with one of them ? I have no issue with any of those placements, but one of them, IMHO, doesn't meet the standard being referred to in other posts.
Last edited by fitzet on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:59 am

TBH If the only reason for a cache placement is the cache itself then it shouldn't be there, its one of the fundamental guidelines Groundspeak try to instil in caching!

SaaX
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SaaX » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm

I would carry on with your general idea - and I personally really enjoy cache trails that make you walk the whole path. I don't think that each individual cache has to be at a "special" spot - but I do think that the distances shouldn't be any close to the minimum allowed. We own some of these power trails (although I wouldn't call some of them power trails - the ones that only have 5 caches for example). If you like I can send you the links to our trails and you can have a look - just let me know...

Cheers,
Axel

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:54 pm

I agree with SaAx - the circluar loop etc is enough and is very enjoyable - great picking up however many caches on the way - I've done loads of those type of walks /power trails - again I say go for it.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:39 pm

How about place all the containers, but have it as a 5 or 6 stage multi where you get a little bit of a very simple puzzle at each location? Then once you've gotten them all and solved the puzzle, you can go to the final.

dino

Post by dino » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm with Chris on this one :)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

SaaX
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by SaaX » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 pm

That's very close to our way of placing trails - we have a "bonus" multi as a final. We make people collect information on the trail - but we don't put the required information into the boxes along the trail to avoid that you cannot solve the puzzle if one went missing...

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 pm

THE_Chris wrote:How about place all the containers, but have it as a 5 or 6 stage multi where you get a little bit of a very simple puzzle at each location? Then once you've gotten them all and solved the puzzle, you can go to the final.
You will get <10 visitors a year if you do this, unless it's in the City Centre.
Cachers are lazy and many will be put off by long multis, especially in Ireland. I enjoy this type of cache a lot, but many won't unfortunately.
Most tourists won't bother with it either.

I would go with the SaaX approach - maybe 5 caches on the way to ensure that people walk the entire route. A Bonus cache at the end is a very good idea.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I am now thinking of 4. One at either end (it's not a loop), and two others. I can write something different about each, and still link them together. I won't call it a powertrail. The hides will be straightforward. If searching for a camoflagued cache in a tree is your thing, head for North County Dublin :P !

Now I have to stop talking about it and get on with it :roll:.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm

fitzet wrote:Now I have to stop talking about it and get on with it :roll:.
6 months later :oops: .. 3 caches sent for review/publication ;)