March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Newbie Advice on finding an empty cache

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

jaxh725

Newbie Advice on finding an empty cache

Post by jaxh725 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, wasn't sure where I should post it.

I was out for the first time tonight and found two cache's :D

The first was fine but the second (GC340M7) was empty. Looking at the description and the name of the cache I'm certain I found the outer container but nothing inside.

Just wanted some advice on how to log this? Do I still log it as found even though there was no log for me to sign but with a maintenance note/flag or do I log it as not found? I took a pic of the outer container but not sure if I should add this too the log as it would be a big clue as to what future cache'rs should look for.

Thanks for any advice.

John

Team Vorst
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Re: Newbie Advice on finding an empty cache

Post by Team Vorst » Sun May 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi John. I think it's okay how you did it. I would have done it probably the same way. BUT, in some cases caches can be tricky :-) You think you've found the cache and the logbook seems to be missing, but the logbook is there and you have to figure out how to get it. I know a dozen of such caches but they usually have a higher difficulty rating than yours. Anyway, if the owner of the cache thinks you have to log it, then he might delete your log. You would notice this. And of course, I am sure we have people here around who think this is not a valid found :-) Christoph

jaxh725

Post by jaxh725 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Christoph.

Happy to relog if the CO decides this isn't a valid "Found it", it's only up the road from me :)

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:40 pm

In that situation (container present but logbook missing) I would log it on a piece of paper taken from my own notebook or similar. Ideally with space for some additional logs. And of course let the CO know it needs maintenance.

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I wouldn't upload the photo on the cache page, but offer to send it to the co. And if you are certain that the log is missing add a emergency log if possible.