March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Logging caches as 'Found it'

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Re: Logging caches as 'Found it'

Post by dr dingdong » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 pm

thanks i have done as you said and i now have 4 caches less than i thought i had...thanks for the help,it makes it easy when its kept simple!!..
cheers...

Zalgariath

Post by Zalgariath » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:26 pm

I have many more Finds then Distinct caches... Movables on GCA, they count as a find every time you grab them :D hehe

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:28 pm

I originally posted this in 'Ask the Reviewer' who clarified for me that it's not a Reviewer matter :oops:.

The Jasmer Challenge caches, recently published, have a 'rolling' set of qualifications. If I want to log, say, the Bronze Challenge today, I must have logged finds on caches published for each of the months in 2010, 2011 & 2012.

Assume I have done so. If, in January 2014, I have a logged find on a cache published for each of the months in 2013, can I then claim a second find on the Jasmer Challenge (Bronze), i.e. claim for 2011, 2012 & 2013 ?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:25 pm

I personally wouldn't, as I wouldn't like to have more than one find on the same cache, but I'm not going to delete a log if someone wants to do it.
In my opinion it's not really in the spirit of challenges. To me a challenge requires meeting a set criteria, finding and logging the cache, then moving on to the next one.
But play the game whichever way you want!

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Fjon wrote:I personally wouldn't, as I wouldn't like to have more than one find on the same cache
+1 ;)

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 pm

For me the cleanest thing is to have no more than one find on any cache, and that's how I prefer to play it. But that's just me.

Edit: As I already said 2 years ago in this thread :oops: . Nice to know I'm consistent at least.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 am

I came across another instance of logging caches that seems odd to me.

Some recent logs in Dublin are showing as 'Finds' when the cache is not present, i.e. log sheet has not been signed. The log entry states that they're logging as found because they found the location the cache should be / would have been.

Hmmm :?

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:18 pm

If the CO is active they should be deleting these. I know I wouldn't accept them!
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Yep, i'm still active :D if it's a recent log on one of ours that Fitzet noticed. I read a log on one of ours this evening when I went to post a maintenance log & re-enable the listing. They said they found GZ and that the previous log (my temporarily disabled log) explains why they didn't find the cache. They also said "can't sign a log that isn't there"...but apparently they think you can log a cache as found that isn't there...:?

It has been deleted and the Cachers emailed just letting them know why I deleted their log.

I've had some funny logs lately....

- Abbey

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 am

abbeyackbar wrote:.. if it's a recent log on one of ours that Fitzet noticed.
Yours was not the only one I noticed :shock:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... 585b1cda18

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... ca798464af

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... a194cc759f

:roll:

sarahmur
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by sarahmur » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 am

Just think of what number I would be on if I logged all the caches I didn't find :shock: :shock: :shock:

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 am

sarahmur wrote:Just think of what number I would be on if I logged all the caches I didn't find :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes, it would be a easy way to tick off some nemesis caches of mine :oops:.

And it might have saved me some effort on others 8).

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:59 am

That guy should know better with over 9000 finds. Or maybe that's part of the reason he has so many?
I would definitely delete the logs