March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Logging caches as 'Found it'

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Logging caches as 'Found it'

Post by fitzet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:42 am

A couple of days ago, I noticed that a cacher known to us had reached a milestone total. On looking at the finds logged, I noticed they had gone from (milestone -2) to (milestone) by logging 2 'Found it's for the same cache. Furthermore, the statistics show them as having found (milestone) number of finds on (milestone -7) number of caches.

Why are you allowed log more than one 'Found it' on the same cache :o ?

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Logging caches as 'Found it'

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:50 am

I'm 99.9% sure that they updated the website a while back to not count multiple Finds on one cache.. So even if you logged 4 finds on the same cache, it will only log as 1...

Also, to answer the missing caches you mentioned, if you have any cache on your ignore list it won't show on any list of caches you look at...
For example, the person you mention has found 100 caches, and then when you click on their profile to see which 100 they are, and suddenly there is only 96 etc.. (where are the 4 missing gone??)

Well, if that person found any cache that you currently have on your ignore list, then those caches won't show (as you have said you don't ever want to see those caches again!)

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:37 pm

A question I should have included in the original post, is "is there a 'legitimate' use for recording a second find on a cache' ?

And, in response to spark's suggestion, I don't have an ignore list.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Hehe, there's no way of 'finding' a cache twice.. You find it once, and then you know where it is ! 8) Anyone trying to log multiple logs is simply fooling themself..

Hmm, If you don't use your ignore list, then I can't account for those missing caches so #-o

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:34 pm

It's happened me twice that I've inadvertantly logged the same cache twice - I only noticed by looking at the "x number of finds on y number of original caches". I had a job to find which one I had logged twice the last time & got the quick method on this forum (using CacheStats) - that's how I know it's happened to others on here too - is it possible this person hasn't realised about the multilple logs?

Also, I thought it was legitimate to log the same cache if it has been moved - i.e. you found it twice - in 2 different locations. Haven't actually come across this, but I think i read it somewhere.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:28 pm

after some heated debate about the new challenges etc with niall I am now playing the game as I see fit and if this cacher does it leave him off....i did on one occasion have 223 no of finds on 222 caches and couldnt suss it but again cachestats sorted that so if the person wants to double or triple log let them....in my case I have found exactly the number of caches it states on my profile.

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Happened to me recently as well - had logged two caches accidentally twice while on holidays and using my android to log them on the spot. Using "CacheStats" I found out quick enough my mistake - removed doubles and issue was sorted =D>

dino

Post by dino » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:43 pm

I've logged a cache twice. It was moved considerably and I happened to be back in the same area. The CO was encouraging people to log it a second time so I did. Have also managed what Eileen described using the GC app but caught on and deleted it.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:21 pm

I just noticed my count had changed, but by only 1 in 600+ so I'm not bovvered.
Its probably for the best

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm

There should be some way the website could prompt people to say they have already logged the cache as found when they are trying to log it as found again to stop people making a mistake. (Maybe this is in the Feedback section already :-k)

I have contacted people who have logged 'found it' more than once on our hides. Mostly it has been a mistake by people new to geocaching and they didn't realise they logged the cache as found more than once. I like to let people know in case it was a mistake and they don't know their stats are wrong (sometimes people have logged a 2nd find when it should have been logged as a note, for to say 'TB dip for mileage' for example). Also it messes up our stats for 'finds on our hides'. I didn't realise the website was updated a while back to not count multiple finds on one cache, so does this mean it would not count on our 'finds on our hides' stats too?

Our profile (updated a while ago) says we have 786 Finds on 785 unique geocaches. A mistake with a cache that was just edited but had the same GC# and we thought it was new or something like that, I can't remember really. We let it be anyhow and so we just keep a closer eye when logging our caches now so as not to make the mistake again.

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:29 am

dino wrote:I've logged a cache twice. It was moved considerably and I happened to be back in the same area. The CO was encouraging people to log it a second time so I did. Have also managed what Eileen described using the GC app but caught on and deleted it.
What about finding a cache twice and logging it once, ie forgetting you found it :roll: :roll: :D I found Killarney Micro #1 twice but forgot to log it the first time :oops:

BTY what does the site stats mean by 'distinct' caches? As opposed to.....

I have one less cache found as distinct in mt statistics??

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 am

My 2nd time logging one twice was to do with logging with the iPhone, I must have hit the button twice - I know there was a bad signal & I thought it hadn't gone - but it went twice anyhow. :roll:
Serapis wrote:BTY what does the site stats mean by 'distinct' caches? As opposed to.....

I have one less cache found as distinct in mt statistics??
I think this means you have logged a find twice.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:33 am

For the cacher referred to in my original post, I believe the incidence of 'double logging' is a genuine error. The logs that brought them over the milestone have since been resolved.

And Blue Jay's comment about the iPhone app resonates with me. I once 'denied' someone an FTF cos I logged my FTF with the app, but it wasn't posted so the 2TF arrived at the cache thinking they were first cos no FTF log had been published :oops:.

I still can't see why it should be allowed :? . The incidence of caches moving significantly, so that it is legitimate to allow a second 'Found It', is, IMHO, low.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:43 pm

The incidence is relatively low. But it does happen. An example is the Dublin Airport TB Hotel which moved to a completely different location and the new hide presented a new and difficult challenge to find. Several people logged their finds in both locations and I think that's reasonable since they genuinely found the cache twice. Sword in the Stone is another one (that reminds me - I need to go out and take a look at that one) which I had difficulty in finding at each of two locations.

For myself I don't log "Found it" twice because I like to keep it tidy and have the same number of "found" as "distinct caches" in my stats.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Someone posted a find on one of my caches in Galway the other day, saying "nice easy find, TFTC" but he had selected Did Not Find in the dropdown menu. Oops! Send off an email to see if he wanted to change his log!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I notice quite a lot of people log events as "Write Note", instead of "Attended", meaning you don't get a smiley for the event.

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:08 pm

Yes, I've made that mistake, and deprived myself of a 10 year souvenir as a result.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:37 pm

im sure a quick email to gsp would sort out that souvenier dara?

on that im still waiting for my bleedin igdo1 souv.

dr dingdong
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by dr dingdong » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm

hi guys i have been reading this and then had a look at my statastics page and it reads i have found 677 caches (673 distinct caches)..
does this mean i have double logged a few caches? if so how do i find and sort it out?
keep it simple as i am not very computerised...
thanks...

thomasvm

Post by thomasvm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Download CacheStats and run your "My Finds" (GC.com) on it - it finds out in seconds if you have double logged any caches... =D>