March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Garmin Edge 705

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Garmin Edge 705

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32 am

I have a friend who is a keen cyclist and also does a bit of caching. He asked me if the Garmin edge 705 would be a good purchase for him.
Does anyone have any experience using the unit? Is it suitable for caching ie can you download cache info clues etc?

Thanks in advance.

medic143
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Garmin Edge 705

Post by medic143 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Have a colleague using an earlier model. Said it was accurate but that the compass is based on movement to a set of coors rather than magnetic. Serious drawback for a hand held.

Unless he needs the bike specific functions of the 705 or likes the size, he could go with an Oregon, + bike mount + cadence sensor and heart monitor etc.

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 am

~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:13 am

The Edge doesn't support paperless caching, so to look for cache's he'll have to input the coords specifically and get it to then route to the co-ords.

Unless he's one of those bike nuts who has carbon fibre everything to shave weight off his bike (but then has an extra 10kg around his waist), and will want a dinky 705 on his 'dash', then an Oregon on the handlebars will be perfect - Especially given that the Oregon will do all this bike things (Cadence, distance travelled, altitude gained, time moving, time stopped, distance to next etc), plus it'll allow him to Geocache paperless-ly (and hike etc if he's into that?)

The one thing the Oregon won't do, and from what I've heard the Edge doesn't do well anyway, is to calculate Calories burned.

Even with my dodgy Colorado on my bike for the last 2/3 years it's been perfect - And I've used it on a number of multi-day cycling trips (plus training cycles too)

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:46 pm

medic143 wrote:Have a colleague using an earlier model. Said it was accurate but that the compass is based on movement to a set of coors rather than magnetic. Serious drawback for a hand held.
I disagree that it's a serious drawback. I use a 60CSx which is an excellent handheld receiver and has a built-in digital compass. But the compass never points in the right direction - I can't be bothered to calibrate it because the calibration is not very persistent so I would have to calibrate it every time I use it. I prefer to set the compass settings with a strong preference for "motion" rather than "compass" (i.e. to remain at "motion" even at low speeds and even if I've stopped for a while). This gives me extremely accurate direction-finding as I am walking towards the cache, then when I arrive within a few metres I can put down the receiver and search. I never find myself in a situation where I feel magnetic direction-finding would be helpful.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 pm

I have a 60CSx that I use extensively on my bike, and my wife has an Oregon. I would recommend the new Garmin 62 over the Oregon because you can read the screen without turning on the backlight. And, while you're peddling, it's easier to punch the hard buttons than it is to touch the correct spot on the screen. The compass has three axes instead of two so its performance should be better, but I haven't tried it myself.

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I will pass on all the comments...and any extra if theres anymore to add.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:25 am

just on this i picked up an oregon this week fir 99 euro in aldi as a back up to my current gpsr but for the life of me still can't figure out where the usb thing is on it cant even load a pq on there...anyone any suggestions....heres a picture of the unit

http://aldi.ie/ie/media/offers/01_11_we ... _Wk346.jpg

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:54 am

barraseaclaid wrote:just on this i picked up an oregon this week fir 99 euro in aldi as a back up to my current gpsr but for the life of me still can't figure out where the usb thing is on it cant even load a pq on there...anyone any suggestions....heres a picture of the unit

=D> =D> =D>

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:15 am

barraseaclaid wrote:just on this i picked up an oregon this week fir 99 euro in aldi as a back up to my current gpsr but for the life of me still can't figure out where the usb thing is on it cant even load a pq on there...anyone any suggestions....heres a picture of the unit

Cutting edge technology, anyone? :lol:
Up is good!!

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:52 am

Hezekiah wrote:
Cutting edge technology, anyone? :lol:
=D> =D> =D> :lol:

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I just bought a new bicycle for my adult daughter. She wanted a GPS on the handlebar for the maps so she won't get lost. (She has no interest in geocaching.) As it happens, the Oregon 450 is on sale at the local store this week for $US 250, so I bought her that and the City Navigator maps.

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 am

#-o Barry, the USB is at the back to the left of the spark plug. Just be careful when plugging, the chain tends to jump slightly, possibly cutting the USB cable if in the way.....

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Just the job for forest caches, cuts a straight line between you and the GZ :lol: