[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Geocaching Ireland • safety and disclaimer
Page 1 of 2

safety and disclaimer

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:18 pm
by barraseaclaid
If I am planning a cache that was say a little more dangerous than the run of the mill park and grab should I explicitly state that the finder assumes all risks or is this covered by the geocaching.com disclaimer because i know kili has disclaimers on some of his walks in the garden whereas something like bats dare doesnt...

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:51 pm
by Jumpin Jiminie
I would stick one on just in case.

Looking forward to doing it by the way! I am intrigued :D

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:06 pm
by johnrm
Its always best to put disclaimers where there is a risk.
example...
http://coord.info/GC1T8MG

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:00 pm
by medic143
Will it be as dangerous as I considered this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... be9f8b31ac

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:13 pm
by barraseaclaid
ha ha john its your likely to get a tad more wet than luxuriant in dung and pigs well unless you fall off the pier in clarecastle

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:15 pm
by barraseaclaid
@medic its probably on par with daniels rock....and knowing you youll probably bring a boat to keep dry!

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 pm
by medic143
barraseaclaid wrote:and knowing you youll probably bring a boat to keep dry!
I don't mind water on the outside (try sitting behind freakycat in a tandem :roll: ) it's when it fills up the interior spaces (e.g. lungs) I tend to get a little cranky. #-o

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 pm
by barraseaclaid
yup it can be problematic on the inside...what ever about water its DHMO and hydric acid im worried about.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:48 pm
by wildfowler
barraseaclaid wrote:its DHMO and hydric acid im worried about.
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
Scarily dangerous sounding stuff that DHMO! :shock:




:wink:

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:24 pm
by barraseaclaid
To be honest I can't believe its not been mentioned here before.

Its a serious health risk and geocachers being such outdoor enthusiasts are more likely to come into contact with it than the average passer by.
Most worryingly it is encountered on beaches, in forests and on mountainsides all places where caches are likely to be hidden. Ive even come across it in urban areas.
Not only is it a serious health hazard that can cause skin irritation on prolonged contact it damages the lungs and can even impair breathing. Actually ive even witnessed some caches with DHMO on the inside as the smell of it can be quite distinct so its worth while bringing some method of protecting against it. Personally most of the gear Ive bought in the last while protect against DHMO notably gloves, a northface jacket and even got a special case to protect my gpsr from it.

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:09 am
by wildfowler
barraseaclaid wrote:To be honest I can't believe its not been mentioned here before.

Its a serious health risk and geocachers being such outdoor enthusiasts are more likely to come into contact with it than the average passer by.
Most worryingly it is encountered on beaches, in forests and on mountainsides all places where caches are likely to be hidden. Ive even come across it in urban areas.
Not only is it a serious health hazard that can cause skin irritation on prolonged contact it damages the lungs and can even impair breathing. Actually ive even witnessed some caches with DHMO on the inside as the smell of it can be quite distinct so its worth while bringing some method of protecting against it. Personally most of the gear Ive bought in the last while protect against DHMO notably gloves, a northface jacket and even got a special case to protect my gpsr from it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:^o

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 pm
by Zalgariath
Hey dont laugh! It has killed more people throughout history then every single other chemical combined! :twisted:

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:12 pm
by Hezekiah
Zalgariath wrote:Hey dont laugh! It has killed more people throughout history then every single other chemical combined! :twisted:
So they finally found the chemical formula for stupidity??...... :twisted: Scary!!

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 am
by TXLiz

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:29 pm
by klossner
Reminds me of a joke from primary school. In the following, replace <ethnic> with whatever ethnic group is made fun of in your area ...

Did you hear that the <ethnic> ice factory had to shut down?
Their chemists lost the formula.

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:56 pm
by magra11
medic143 wrote:Will it be as dangerous as I considered this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... be9f8b31ac
I'm really sorry about your experience. Today is my first day online for two and a half weeks and I just saw your log. After reading it I considered archiving it. Now I don't think I will but could you please help me. I've decided to re-write the safety and disclaimer and I was wondering if you could advise me on what to say/ how to phrase it. I don't want a death on my conscience.
Thank you , Michael.


+ you wrote " the CO ""says"" :wink: he got to the top three times" .You are right though, I meant I got on to the rock three times. I was only at the very top twice (where the cache is placed) and was helped both times,though my father was able to get up himself.

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 pm
by TXLiz
:arrow: Use Common Sense * Cache At Your Own Risk

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 pm
by barraseaclaid
magra you could use the following html if you are intrested

Code: Select all

<center>
<p><strong><br />
<font color="red">The Terrain/Difficulty rating for this cache
reflects that seeking this cache can be dangerous. This cache is
attempted entirely at your own risk as per the geocaching.com
<a ref=
"http://www.geocaching.com/about/disclaimer.aspx">disclaimer</a>.</font></strong></p>

The Terrain/Difficulty rating for this cache reflects that seeking this cache can be dangerous. This cache is attempted entirely at your own risk as per the geocaching.com disclaimer

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:41 am
by daraconn
I am not a lawyer and don't purport to give legal advice.

My own understanding is that such disclaimers have no legal effect at all. IF you have a duty of care in the first place, you can not abdicate it by uttering a form of words on the cache page. Ultimately, of course, if someone gets hurt it is for a jury to decide whether such a duty of care exists (or, in a criminal case, whether you are guilty of reckless endangerment).

My own feeling is that a warning is more appropriate than a disclaimer. If you clearly describe the nature of the risks, your fellow-geocacher can make an informed decision about whether to attempt the find.

Re: safety and disclaimer

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 am
by barraseaclaid
@medic...legal opinion?

the gc.com disclaimer is quite detailed and seems to cover it but I take your point about a warning...