March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Church Micro IE Series

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Church Micro IE Series

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 pm

I probably should have posted about this series awhile back but anyway.

People who have been to the UK have no doubt heard of the Church Micro Series by sadexploration, as there are about 1800 located in the UK and NI.

http://www.15ddv.me.uk/geo/cm/notes.html

Its a simple idea, traditionals or multis located at or near churches. A bit of history thrown in for good measure.

I'm in the process of trying to set up a Church Micro IE series here, so far we have:

1 Church Micro IE 1 - St Pius X, Templeogue GC2JRV4 THE_Chris Replaced by GC315VC
2 Church Micro IE 2 - Kimmage Manor GC2YV21 THE_Chris Archived
3 Church Micro IE 3 - St Colmans Cathedral, Cobh GC19PDK THE_Chris
4 Church Micro IE 4 - St. Marys, Knockbridge GC2WRT5 medic143
5 Church Micro IE 5 - Methodist Church, Rathgar GC2K9TA THE_Chris
6 Church Micro IE 6 - St Josephs, Terenure GC2KMP6 THE_Chris
7 Church Micro IE 7 - Ballymore Church, Cobh GC2KMV1 THE_Chris
8 Church Micro IE 8 - Holy Rosary, Brid-A-Chrin GC2YZPK medic143
9 Church Micro IE 9 - The Green Church, Dundalk GC2ZKMB Mental Medic
10 Church Micro IE 10 - Church of the Assumption, Howth GC30ZCX AbbeyAckbar
11 Church Micro IE 11 - Immaculate Conception, Louth GC30WME Mental Medic
12 Church Micro IE 12 - St. Michael's, Carlingford Mental Medic
13 Church Micro IE 13 - St. Brigid's, Kilcurry Mental Medic
14 Church Micro IE 14 - St. James', Grange Mental Medic
15 Church Micro IE 15 - Sacred Heart, Donnybrook THE_Chris

The missing numbers I'd allocated a few months ago to people who unfortunately never placed (or renamed) the caches.

I'm just wondering what people think of this series: is it worth trying to get the numbers up and is there sufficient interest in the series? I can put more caches out, thats no problem, I have a bag of about 80 film canisters in my cupboard. I'd like to get others on board though. I dont want to put so many caches out myself that it blocks off other peoples ability to place caches due to the 150m rule (or whatever it is).

Anyone out there fancy placing a Church Micro IE cache? All I'd ask on the cache page is a photo of the inside and outside if possible (either your own or off the internet), and the following text:

"Church Micro IE caches, based on the Church Micro series by sadexploration in the UK, are designed to be reasonably quick but interesting caches linked, unsurprisingly, to churches of any denomination. "

"I want to place a Church Micro cache too

The Church Micro IE series is open to everyone; if you have a church you would like to place a cache at then please contact THE_Chris through Geocaching.com. This is to keep track of the numbers of the churches and give you the general format for the cache page. In the UK there are ~1500 caches in the series so we have some catching up to do! Also, if you currently have a published cache at a church that you would like to include in the series, get in contact and we can add it."

--------------

Sadexploration in the UK knows about the series over here but he'd prefer we keep it as an ROI series as he has enough trouble keeping up with the UK series.

Anyone interested in joining in or making any comments? Is this series even worth pursuing?
Last edited by THE_Chris on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barraseaclaid

Re: Church Micro IE Series

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 pm

tbh i have grabbed a few caches that are already in churches and some are worth the visit most are not. Not a criticism of the idea but at some point it becomes all about the numbers much in the same vein as the pitstops/sidetracked/ and what i have commonly come to known them as down here in waterford....yags (yet another graveyard stash!)...again its all a matter of opinion....if for example i was to hide a cache at every hospital in Ireland would you have any interest in completing all 51 caches (at least not counting private/small hospitals!)? I suppose its of interest to some but it would be a case of if im in the area for me....

TXLiz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by TXLiz » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:35 am

moved post to another area ...nothing here move on
:ot
Last edited by TXLiz on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal~

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:46 am

I have a micro opposite the church in Knockbridge. Allocate a number and I'll edit the name.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Would Church Micro IE 4 - St Marys, Knockbridge be ok? If you have a pic of the outside of the church too for the cache page that would be great, but no worries if you dont.

Good stuff! Will be good to get some more involved in the series. #2 has been sent in for review too.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Name updated. Photo will have to wait until I'm out there again. Freakycat still has to do it so shouldn't take too long.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:19 am

total side note to this. I found when doing my caches which had ERCA tour in them it was better to put the ERCA tour part after the name of the cache or in your case church. Just means those who use the cache names rather than GC code find it easier than having all their caches... ERCA Tou.... on the GPS.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 am

Donmoore wrote:total side note to this. I found when doing my caches which had ERCA tour in them it was better to put the ERCA tour part after the name of the cache or in your case church. Just means those who use the cache names rather than GC code find it easier than having all their caches... ERCA Tou.... on the GPS.
Agreed, or at least put the number first, like the Walk in the Garden caches? E.g. 14 - A walk in the garden.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Hmm will have a think about that.

Got three big (non Church Micro) multis planned for the Terenure and Rathmines area so plenty of goodies to come!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am

Assign a number to Church of the Holy Rosary, Brid-A-Chrin

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:46 pm

How does Church Micro IE 8 - Holy Rosary, Brid-A-Chrin sound?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Thats okay. Put one out a while ago but trying to find some info prior to publishing

Have it now so hopefully will get it submitted tomorrow for review

Mental Medic

Post by Mental Medic » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi chris,
Ive a micro at the Green Church in Dundalk ready to go if you'd be kind enough to assign a number, many thanks
John

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 pm

I think there is a curse on this series. IE 8 had to be replaced before it was found, IE 4 had to be replaced tonight (it had previously been replaced before being found). Was going to move another church cache to the IE series after maintenance tonight to discover it was gone too. :evil:

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 am

Mental Medic wrote:Hi chris,
Ive a micro at the Green Church in Dundalk ready to go if you'd be kind enough to assign a number, many thanks
John
Church Micro IE 9 - The Green Church, Dundalk

And yeah, cursed is the word, my #10 went missing that time, so did #6 :(

Mental Medic

Post by Mental Medic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi Chris, another church micro ready to go if you'd kindly assign a number
Its at The Church of the Immaculate Conception in Louth Village
Many thanks
John

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Go nuts :D

Church Micro IE 11 - Immaculate Conception, Louth Village

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Passed through Louth Village today - was nearly back in Dublin when the email cam in :evil:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Mental Medic

Post by Mental Medic » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 am

Hi Chris,
I've 3 more coming in the next couple of weeks if you'd assign numbers :)

St. Michael's Church, Carlingford
St. Brigid's Church, Kilcurry
St. James' Church, Grange

Many thanks
John

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:44 am

Excellent :D

Church Micro IE 12 - St. Michael's, Carlingford