March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Twin Caches in Germany and Ireland with swopping items

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Kniepzwicker

Twin Caches in Germany and Ireland with swopping items

Post by Kniepzwicker » Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 am

Hi,
I´m a 42 old Geocacher from Germany and I love Ireland very much. I´ve been to your beautiful country for seven times so far and cycled all the way along the coast from Derry to Cork. :D
I need a Geocacher in Ireland who wants to place a cache in Ireland with typical German trade items. It should be a mystery with question about Germany to answer. Every Irish Cacher who finds this cache puts in a typical Irish trade item (buttons, ball pens, stickers, beer mug, pins, lanyards etc) and takes out a typical German trade item.
There will be a twin Cache in Germany for German Cachers to swop German trade items with Irish ones. I take out the German trade items and send them to the Irish Geocacher who puts the German trade items in the Irish cache and cares for it and who sends me the Irish trade items, that I will put in the German twin cache. Could be great fun. :wink:
Do you understand, what I mean?
Happy hunting
Ronny
PS: I manage a German Event on 2nd of July. If an Irish Geocacher will place a cache soon, I will ask the cachers, who wants to attend, to bring typical German trade items, so I can bring them all to Ireland, when I will go on holiday in Ireland in July. So there would be many German trade items for the Irish cache. The cache should be absolutely safe for muggels, because I would be a pity, if this cache will be muggled with all the nice trade items. And the cache should be large enough for a few items and should be at a nice place not to difficault to reach.