March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Coins/Tb's in caches that go awol

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

barraseaclaid

Coins/Tb's in caches that go awol

Post by barraseaclaid » Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 pm

So....
Just got a DNF on my cache "The Cat Flap" and figured there is no way it got muggled by passers by as its a pretty inconspicuous hide so drove out to check on it and sure enough it had been muggled well in fact the whole area had been....by the well intentioned co. council. The cache is in a layby with a great view of the suspension bridge in waterford and owning to the fact that the tall ships are due here in the next month it is a case of a moneygall-esque spring clean going on (without the lashings of free dulux paint!). So Kilkenny coco have cleaned up the area and i was lucky enough to get chatting to a nice fella at GZ who told me that KK COCO had skimmed off the top layer of soil 100m either side of GZ and removed the metal post that the cache was hidden inside and brought it away in trucks....now while I am glad that the place is gettting a clean up unfortunately there were three geocoins/tbs inside and im debating as to how to proceed....

1. does anyone have a metal detector as there is quite a conspicuous pile of rubble/soil near gz... that i might go digging through
2. what is the etiquitte for coins that go missing do i just report them as such and leave be and then send a message to the Coin owner

Like is it "MY" fault that they went missing or is that just the nature of the game....its not like it was a wee guard rail cache!!!

Zalgariath

Re: Coins/Tb's in caches that go awol

Post by Zalgariath » Tue May 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Unfortunately things happen like this... I dropped a coin in a cache the other month and when I went to log that night found the cache had been archived, but I hadnt had an updated GPX and the owner had posted a note saying he'd moved... but not removed the container. Id just send a note to the TB owners explaining what happened. Have a look if you can find them great! But if not, smeg happens... part of the risk of releasing a TB :(

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:15 pm

Grrr...That is the worst news Barry.
Im gutted to have been the bearer of bad news. If its any consolation it was a great area for a cache and was looking forward to the find.
Also know how it feels to "feel responsible" for coins going missing, especially from an "un muggle able" cache.
I saw that pile of rubble myself, as I was hoping to drive up to the cache, but couldnt get the car up past it. Hope you get some success from this.

Jonny.

dino

Post by dino » Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 pm

If you archive the cache the site automatically puts a log on the TB owner's page.

As the cache owner where the TBs are logged into you can also go to their TB page and mark them as missing. If you wish you could always email the owner via the site too and let them know what happened?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed May 25, 2011 12:32 am

done and dusted...three owners contacted one who sent back a nice reply...I wouldnt mind but one of the coins was so nice I actually for a split second thought of holding on to it for a while to show people...but i dropped it in on the 8th of may in the evening...I was driving past last sunday did a cache check and everything was in place and then today well the rest is history...ah well