March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

L200

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

barraseaclaid

L200

Post by barraseaclaid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Windsockers, the L200 has been known to reach many a far off cache site...would it make this one...think of the milage your bugs would get on this one....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

jme1979

Re: L200

Post by jme1979 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:26 am

barraseaclaid wrote:Windsockers, the L200 has been known to reach many a far off cache site...would it make this one...think of the milage your bugs would get on this one....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=
LOL they should have given it its own star rating! Its very cool though :D

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:56 am

the guy who placed it has plenty of $$$...and went up as a space tourist perhaps if richie branson caches the bug he will offer ryanairish style prices to the cache...

dino

Post by dino » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:48 am

At the time this was published there was a huge row on the forums from people giving out that it was against the guidelines and moaning about it. It was unbelievable :( Why can't people just allow others to have fun sometimes :roll:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 am

How come the coords are in Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan? was that where it was launched from?
Its way outside the guidelines, and it should only be registered as a traveller, that way, if you had a Telescope big enough, you could log a 'discovered'.

dino

Post by dino » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:17 am

iryshe = Jeremy Irish ;)

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:34 pm

I just spotted the bug, can't get the code off it though!

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:00 pm

I put this on my watchlist to see if anyone really tries for it.

Got dozens of notifications for it today. This was one if the best.

http://coord.info/GL4JTTHA

dino

Post by dino » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:16 pm

The log is now gone but this is what it said:
We thought we would try and grab this FTF on 10/10/10, but like many other caches we were hopeful to find first, we had no luck.
Let me tell you of our trip.

We set out early in the morning after months of building, testing, taking apart, rebuilding and retesting our own personal spacecraft. As the countdown began, so did our anxieties. "What if our rocket does not work? What if we don't have enough fuel to get home? What if we are abducted by alien mothership?" And most importantly, "What if we get lost?" No, no. I have my Garmin, she has extra batteries and we have a geosense like no other team.... 4... 3... 2... 1...

BLAST OFF!

With both our eyes shut, we hold on as tight as humanly possible. The rocket roars off of the launch pad, slowly at first, but increasing in speed with each passing second as our hearts do the same. Higher and higher we rip through the sky until we enter the moment we were dreaming of... SPACE! Our main boosters shut down, we gather our wits back about us, and we program our auto-pilot for the ISS.

Traveling through space at unimaginable speeds, my Garmin just couldn't keep up. The numbers were jumping all over the place as if we had entered a black hole where longitude and latitude no longer existed...Then it hit us! There are no coordinates in space! How could I have overlooked such a crucial detail of our journey? Caught up in all the excitement of a FTF on the ISS I had not pondered the need for longitude and latitude. Should we abandon our mission of mishap or venture deeper into the dark depths of the unknown with fleeting hopes that we shall discover what no map can exhibit?

Facing an immense probability of failure, non-return or even almost certain death, we decide to return to the blue sphere in which we were orbiting. Just before our spacecraft blasted back into the atmosphere, we caught a glimpse of the prize that sifted like fine sand through our hopeful-to-sign fingers. The International Space Station, the cache, the First to Find... all lost due to a careless mistake.... made by me, KZJ! Sorry partner.

But we did return in time to attend our first geocaching event, get a FTF, and help break a world record!

10/10/10 was the best day of geocaching ever for Team KZJ! even starting off the day with THE FIRST DNF on the 5/5 space cache. Thanks!