March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Changes to Reviewing in Ireland

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Changes to Reviewing in Ireland

Post by Croaghan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi All,

Due to changes in work I'm now in a position where I have very little spare time any longer. I've found over the last couple of months that reviewing is taking more and more of this time and I'm getting little or no opportunity to spend time walking or caching. As such I've taken the very difficult decision to resign my position as a volunteer reviewer with Groundspeak as of midnight tonight.

I'm sure you will appreciate that this has been a very difficult decision for me to make and will support your new reviewer once he or she is appointed.

If anyone would be interested in becoming the new reviewer I'm happy to take emails and PMs to give people an idea what is expected from the role and what you will be required to do.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have supported me over the last 2.5 years and have made this "job" so worthwhile.

In the interim the UK review team will share the responsibility of Ireland along with their current regions.

Many thanks,

Croaghan signing off :cry:
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Changes to Reviewing in Ireland

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that, you will be missed.

I would like to thank you for the help and support you have given me with caching and other issues.

I hope you will keep on caching.

Lawrence.

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hezekiah » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks for everything, Niall/Dino/Croaghan! Now you might just have time to get out and find a few!! :- :-
Up is good!!

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Tough call Niall and I'm sure not an easy decision to make . Thanks for all you have done for the Irish caching community and on a personal level thanks for all the advice and help you have given me while I have been caching.
Enjoy yourself.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 pm

This is a sad day. :(
You have been a superb to us all and will be missed with your great advice.

I'm sure you will still be hanging around the forum and notching up those numbers.

We wish you the best with your new job etc.

Thanks for putting up with all the grief you had from us submitting 30 caches all at once.

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for all your hard work and patience over the last two and a half years Niall! You'll be a hard man to follow! All the best with your new badge! ;)
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:06 pm

:shock: really?......nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :shock:
only for the fact that you said '..as of midnight tonight..', I would have thought that you were April fooling us! :^o :)
That's got to have been a tough decision but completely understandable. Best of luck with everything!
We really appreciated all the time & effort you put into reviewing (and re-reviewing, and re-reviewing.... :wink: )all the caches. You did a really great job keeping caching in Ireland at a high standard. =D> :hi

Miss you already...somebody get me a tissue! :(

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:42 am

Sorry guys.....I really couldn't resist it :twisted:

Nice to know I'll be missed though, but probably a little less now.....to all those who were nice and sent me messages I'll go extra specially quick from now on and as Abbeyackbar got the closest they'll get extra special standards of speed.

Sorry again :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:05 am

Traditionally, in some countries, such as the UK, Australia, South Africa and parts of Canada, the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool".[1] Elsewhere, such as in France, Ireland, Italy, South Korea, Japan, Russia, The Netherlands, Brazil, and the U.S., the jokes last all day.
Those of us in the North can feel smug about this since your post was at 9.21pm [-X :roll: :D

Anyway, where do you get a job (and a wife) that gives you so much time for playing around on the computer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:37 am

Your so not funny.
I'm going to have to change the event I was planning from bye bye Mr Croaghan to RIP Mr Croaghan. lol

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 am

parkmoy wrote:
Traditionally, in some countries, such as the UK, Australia, South Africa and parts of Canada, the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool".[1] Elsewhere, such as in France, Ireland, Italy, South Korea, Japan, Russia, The Netherlands, Brazil, and the U.S., the jokes last all day.
Those of us in the North can feel smug about this since your post was at 9.21pm [-X :roll: :D
As a kid, I remember anyone who kept an April Fool prank going after lunchtime was jeered with "April Fool is dead and gone, you're the fool to carry it on!"

Ahhh.... simple times :)

So............ you'll be looking after my next mega-series, then? :twisted:
Up is good!!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:20 am

Niall! Tsk, Tsk!

Seriously though, roughly how much time goes into reviewing, say, on a weekly basis?

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:55 am

I feel a power trail coming on . About 200 of them off to gather up some 35mm film pots.....watch your inbox :evil:
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 am

Hezekiah wrote:
parkmoy wrote:
As a kid, I remember anyone who kept an April Fool prank going after lunchtime was jeered with "April Fool is dead and gone, you're the fool to carry it on!"

Ahhh.... simple times :)

So............ you'll be looking after my next mega-series, then? :twisted:
Reviewers work on Seattle time (UTC-8) ;)

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 am

johnrm wrote:Seriously though, roughly how much time goes into reviewing, say, on a weekly basis?
It's hard to quantify as I spend quite a bit of time online anyway. I'd say anything from 1-2 hours a day on average with some days being 3 if there is an event coming up, I get a lot of changed coords or NA emails or I'm doing a monthly sweep of disabled caches.

I get it easy compared to say the UK guys. I know Deceangi recently did a 12 hour day but he was reaching for a milestone of 30K published caches :shock: I've published just over 2K as a comparison.

I also do some extra work for GSP on the Knowledge Books but that's a short term thing and I haven't done much for a couple of weeks now.

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:46 am

Really good Niall!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> Delighted I didn't see the thread till now or I might have come up with some smaltzy c**p!! Glad you are still around to sort out my latest "errors!"

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Reviewers work on Seattle time (UTC-8)
Mmmmmmmmmmm...... some say you're a bit backward (but not me, he hastens to add) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:00 pm

dino wrote:Reviewers work on Seattle time (UTC-8)
Seattle time is "Pacific Daylight Time" UTC-7 from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday of November. Yes, we have "summer time" for two thirds of the year.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Wow, thats a lot of time, but how can someone spend 12 hours a day?!!

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:44 am

dino wrote:.....to all those who were nice and sent me messages I'll go extra specially quick from now on and as Abbeyackbar got the closest they'll get extra special standards of speed.
extra special eh! :ban Now, do we believe you is the question :wink:
Can we swap that for clues on puzzles caches instead :lol: