March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

You know your obsessed with Geocaching when....

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

You know your obsessed with Geocaching when....

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 am

...you have your homepage set to geocaching.com
...you check your emails every 5 minutes (even when your out) to see if theres a new cache, or just to see who found caches on your watchlist.
...you watch the weather on tv, and ignore what the weather is like, but just study the map for areas to cache

...any more?

dogwhisperers
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: You know your obsessed with Geocaching when....

Post by dogwhisperers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

You know your obsessed with Geocaching when...

You take your GPS with you on roller-coaster rides at amusement parks.
When you get pulled over for speeding, you try to beat it by explaining your GPS can't track that fast.
You use Tripmaster on your GPS to make sure your kid is mowing every square inch of the lawn at your house.
Easter-egg hunts for your kids are done using a list of geocache coordinates in your backyard.
Your kids explain how their day in the neighbourhood went using latitude & longitude coordinates.
You geocache your wallet and car keys inside your own home to remember where you last left them.

gilliancclarke
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by gilliancclarke » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:13 pm

You dream you have gone caching with Evel Knievel.... :shock: :D :D

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:19 pm

...As you drive around you can think of hundreds of places that would be good to hide a cache.
...You have a backpack always packed with geocaching essentials, in case of that urge to do a spontaneous cache trip, or a FTF trip.
...You keep GSAK, Satnav and GPSr updated DAILY with your pq's.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am

CluelessTwo wrote:...You keep GSAK, Satnav and GPSr updated DAILY with your pq's...
I'm all for a little addiction but this one goes to far!!
Seriously ... you only get 5 of the critters a day ... how are you doing that?

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:20 am

I only use 2 PQ's per day. So I have all of Ireland updated every week....(I dont know why I like to have all of Ireland, when Im not going to go anywhere near half of it at any one time.)

I just load the 2 PQ's into GSAK every day when I'm checking my emails. It only takes a couple of minutes. I do have to admit to NOT doing the GPSr and SatNav daily though, unless we are going on a trip, but having the GSAK up to date helps.

abra123cadabra

Post by abra123cadabra » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I also like to have all of Ireland covered in GSAK. I've managed to set up 6 PQs which run daily (with a different one missing each day). The secret is the placed date. Took me a while to get 500 cache chunks, though. As mentioned before, I upload them into GSAK when I check my emails.

Once in a while or before heading out I'm updating the car SatNav, the Colorado and the Cacheberry. SatNav and Colorado get a POI file with ALL caches that I haven't found and also around 500 caches around the main destination.

So whenever I'm in the car and have my Blackberry with me, I can do some caching... you never know :roll:

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:42 pm

People name caches in your honour.............. :wink:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

bigstevie1275

Post by bigstevie1275 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 am

always have your batteriers in your gps fully charged and have a spare set just incase the 2week charge isnt long enough.
you open the iphone app when ur at a wedding because you think the old near the hotel has a cache in it
you note down any red phoneboxes you pass because you know youll either put a cache in there and if you dont bats will lol
you get a travelbug tattoo

jme1979

Post by jme1979 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am

bigstevie1275 wrote: you get a travelbug tattoo
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Please tell me noone has one of these!!!!

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 pm

jme1979 wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
No I got one of a pile of sticks and a mound of rocks! :shock:

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 05, 2010 5:07 pm

jme1979 wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
There are a number of these out there :shock:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2800496

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 6cb077e8bd

Worst of the lot: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 5714791413
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed May 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Think I'll stick with me hat! :shock:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

Step_7

Post by Step_7 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:11 pm

.....you leave work at 1am and go hunting for a FTF in the rain with no torch...... :oops:

I did find it though! =D> :lol:

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Step_7 wrote:.....you leave work at 1am and go hunting for a FTF in the rain with no torch...... :oops:

I did find it though! =D> :lol:
I believe a local cacher possibly beefy was looking for your contact details the other day.

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Fri May 07, 2010 1:15 pm

dino wrote:
jme1979 wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
There are a number of these out there :shock:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2800496

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 6cb077e8bd

Worst of the lot: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 5714791413

Niall, stop showing off your tattoos!!!!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri May 07, 2010 3:43 pm

...not forgetting his buddies Kili, Windsockers and Hezekiah ;)

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Fri May 07, 2010 7:28 pm

johnrm wrote:...not forgetting his buddies Kili, Windsockers and Hezekiah ;)
:notme1 :-
Up is good!!

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

alan....seeing as your the local proprietor of our friendly shop do you have any "good" tb codes....either all numbers or a decent string of letters..or does anyone have one that there holding? This could be a very bad idea!

Hezekiah
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Hezekiah » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:59 pm

You need to get out caching a bit more, young man!! [-X [-X

I had a quick look through the various bug and coin codes, but nothing stands out - there may be something that strikes a chord with someone else, though! Have a look through the stock at the next event?
Up is good!!