March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Talk about a power trail...

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Talk about a power trail...

Post by Fjon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm

An upcoming caching trip for Windsockers perhaps?
Attachments
trail.JPG

Donmoore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Talk about a power trail...

Post by Donmoore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm

where is that? I bet if you show sir windsocker that he'll be booked in seconds

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54 pm

It's on the California-Nevada border.
I couldn't fit the whole trail into the pic - there are more caches than that there!
This is the start of the trail - see for yourself.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:55 pm

found it... looks like a great place to visit and those main caches seem to be along a mountain trail.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:43 pm

OMG! There's hundreds of them on top of each other! Mental. Do ya think it just might be about the numbers after all???? :) Is this type of trail very common in the US? I spotted another one, but are there loads?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:27 am

You could not have picked a better road for it Powerline road.
It must be about the numbers and yes I want to go lol.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 am

I really can't imagine a worse way to spend a day :(

I'd much rather have a box at the end of an interesting walk, at the top of a hill or at an interesting site. Stopping every 600ft to sign a log would get very boring very quickly :shock:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 am

dino wrote:I really can't imagine a worse way to spend a day :(

I'd much rather have a box at the end of an interesting walk, at the top of a hill or at an interesting site. Stopping every 600ft to sign a log would get very boring very quickly :shock:
Imagine how'd you'd feel as a reviewer if you got 500+ caches in your queue? :lol: :lol:

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:29 am

I can only imagine the reply if I did this on the Bangor to Belfast road. =;

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:23 am

Fjon wrote:

Imagine how'd you'd feel as a reviewer if you got 500+ caches in your queue? :lol: :lol:
:-x :arrg :rant

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 am

dino wrote:
Fjon wrote:

:-x :arrg :rant
You won't accept power trail caches though, will you?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:51 am

The Power Trail statement was removed from the GC.com Saturation Guideline in one of last year's re-writes:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sat
Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. The ultimate goals of the saturation guideline are to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area, especially by the same hider. Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern.
However, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I'd have no problem with a Power Trail if it was a well thought out series. However, my experience is that the more caches that are placed at the same time by the same person or number of people then the less well thought out they are and the poorer the quality of the hide, container, cache page and total experience.

I probably would publish a Power Trail if it fitted the guidelines but I'd probably then stick it on my Ignore list :|

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:00 pm

You'll be putting ideas into Lawerence's head now! #-o
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:10 pm

You asked the question!

[-X

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Recently I did about 10/12 caches of a power trail in Scotland, along a mountain pass.. [GC1ZGCC] Thought it would be great to drive a nice road, and grab a few caches along the way.. After about 5 I began to get pis*ed off of stopping in the middle of no-where, to search in gorse bushes, bottom of wooden fence stakes for the same flimsy box, within which was the same piece of folded cardboard (logbook) within a unsealed bag.
Just seemed that they were just chucked out with no prior planning other than the fact of being equidistant from the next cache..

This brings me on to my next problem... So you're planning a trip in the summer (Which I am currently) and you can see there's tonnes of caches in the city/area you're going to.. How can you weed out all these rubbish caches? Without having to go into each one... Just want to get the ones like Niall said - at genuine places of interest, scenic places etc.. .??? :cry:

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Spark_ie wrote:Recently I did about 10/12 caches of a power trail in Scotland, along a mountain pass.. [GC1ZGCC] Thought it would be great to drive a nice road, and grab a few caches along the way.. After about 5 I began to get pis*ed off of stopping in the middle of no-where, to search in gorse bushes, bottom of wooden fence stakes for the same flimsy box, within which was the same piece of folded cardboard (logbook) within a unsealed bag.
Just seemed that they were just chucked out with no prior planning other than the fact of being equidistant from the next cache..

This brings me on to my next problem... So you're planning a trip in the summer (Which I am currently) and you can see there's tonnes of caches in the city/area you're going to.. How can you weed out all these rubbish caches? Without having to go into each one... Just want to get the ones like Niall said - at genuine places of interest, scenic places etc.. .??? :cry:
Tough one.. I do lots of pointless useless caches all the time now but I guess living in the area just makes worth finding at some point in time. I guess local knowledge is key and try to find the local forum of where you are going to see what the locals recommend.

Sinbadsfriends

Post by Sinbadsfriends » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:25 pm

I suppose that's the value of GCVote or something similar (see http://gcvote.com/) - which allows cachers to rate caches and displays the average score (1-5 stars) on the geocaching.com webpages and maps. Bit of a pain when it goes down, however, as it did a couple of weeks ago.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 am

GCVote is a nice idea, but not great in practice IMO.
I would have a pretty good idea of the rating of caches and have seen some ratings that are questionable.
Plus theres only about 7/8000 people registered on GCvote, so it hasn't reached any critical mass.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Just downloaded this gcvote thingy... pretty nifty I must say, like the way it all links in with geocaching.

Certainly will make weeding out bad caches a lot easier when travelling to foreign lands !!

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:36 am

This power trail is a hot topic recently on a local Michigan forum too. Even a lot of folk here dont seem interested in the extreme numbers