March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

How did it all start for you?

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dogwhisperers
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How did it all start for you?

Post by dogwhisperers » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:17 pm

God, I am so bored being stuck in so much over the Christmas period. I was supposed to go back to work today but we have a lot of frozen snow here in Wexford and I am just not taking any chances on the roads (I do a 65 mile round trip a day to work) I shall try for Monday, although I hear it is to last for another 10 days at least. Are we coming into another ice age does anybody know? Anyway, now that I have had a good moan about the weather, I was just wondering how this geocaching managed to escape me for years without me ever hearing about it here in Ireland. I was introduced to it by a relative from the UK, who was here on holidays in late October. I thought it was unbelievable that I had never heard about it before now, since I have done a lot of walking, especially in the Wicklow area, and suddenly I was finding that there were lots of hiding places, caches I must have walked by hundreds of times, without knowing that they were there. What I was interested to know is, how did you learn about geocaching? There seem to be a lot of members here who have been involved in geocaching for years. How did it all start for you?

dino

Re: How did it all start for you?

Post by dino » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am

February 2005 and I saw a video diary on BBC Countryfile by a UK cacher called Simply Paul.

Thought to myself that it looked like a good way to get out and about and an excuse to buy a new toy :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:11 pm

I have always been into technology so when SA was disabled I got myself a GPSr. The first geocache in Europe was placed on Bray Head by a local and a friend of mine put one up Rocky Valley. There were only two caches in Ireland at the time so I guess i can say I "cleared" the island. :D There was no fancy gc.com site, caches were posted on Usenet at the time.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fjon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:13 pm

You know I can't remember how it happened? I stumbled across a listing for Bootle's Dun Laoghaire cache somehow and went off to find it (without GPS) and failed. Once I got myself a yellow Garmin I was sorted!

dino

Post by dino » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:53 pm

dino wrote:February 2005
Just realised that I'm coming up to my 6th year anniversary as is this forum and many of the early members :shock:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:22 pm

a friend of mine heard from it from guys in his work and he was given a gps along with many many gadgets for his work and he took me out and showed me what it was about. When he first described it I thought he was suggesting that the caches sent out some kind of signal which his fancy wee gadget picked up and homed in on.. alas it was not as exciting as that but here many moons later I still find myself hunting for tupperware in hedges. Im still just a casual cacher and only get out when I can find the time (perhaps making a few special trips for caching each year)

Jumpin Jiminie

Post by Jumpin Jiminie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:42 pm

I am still a newbie having only started last August...but I am well and truly hooked!!

A few years back, myself and a mate of mine (Kavdublin) worked in a store in Dublin City Centre called Compustore. We started selling Garmin products in the shop and soon heard of a little known hobbie called "Geocaching".

It sounded great but never got around to trying it until last year when we decided to pick one and give it a shot. In my newbie ignorance, I printed off the cache page for Walk in the Garden #12. Didn't realise we had to solve a puzzle first...needless to say we were unsuccessful :oops:

The very next day was much better... this time we actually printed off the cache page and read it! Our first successful cache was St. Kevin's Dental Work in Glendalough.

Haven't looked back since.

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm

dino wrote:
dino wrote:February 2005
Just realised that I'm coming up to my 6th year anniversary as is this forum and many of the early members :shock:

wow! Pretty neat, so what are you planning to do to celebrate this momentous occasion?

Thanks for all the replies, it's interesting to see how people got involved here. I see in the USA there are caches all over the place, you could literally fall over them going for a walk (slight exaggeration). Do you think it would ever get that popular here?

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Strangely enough, I was Googling for location details on a friend's remote cottage down in Brixham, Devon...and top of the google list was a link to a site called geocaching.com where poepl were posting strange messages on the page about finding something in the cliffs near the location of the cottage...had a brief look into this 'treasure hunt' but didn't have the wherewithall (GPSr) to have a go, nor the money to buy one.

Awhile later (maybe a year or so?) later hubby was given a GPSr by work to help him store remote delivery locations etc...and supposedly be able to find them again (pre-Sat navs).

When he brought it home, and was playing in the fields behind with it, something tickled my memory about my former search for the sea-side cottage, so I Googled the cottage again and the GC.com website was again top of the search. So I signed up to the site, stuck in my home co-ords in and hubby and I headed off in the car, GPSr in hand, that afternoon :D

We purchased our own Etrex soon after, and I think the 'work' one is gathering dust in some office somewhere nowadays!

OTP

Post by OTP » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Well, there I was, one cold Sunday afternoon in Newbridge Demesne, minding my own business, tucked up snugly in my lunchbox among the fallen detritus... :^o

Actually, I was introduced to the obsession by a non geocaching friend of another geocacher and worked it out from there.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 pm

This thread will have more answers...
http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... 167#p19167

abbeyackbar
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by abbeyackbar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 pm

In 2007, Ackbar and I went to Iowa, USA to visit his sister 'JeePSer' who was big into 'Geo-somethingorother'. She took us on a drive around the area, and before we knew it, we were rummaging around a forest floor looking under logs and into tree stumps for what turned out to be our first cache. We found a few while we were there, including a great cache called 'Swiss Family Robinson' which involved climbing up a rope ladder to retrieve the cache from a tree.

JeePSer gave us her etrex to take home with us as she had upgraded. We drove to Chicago and found a few caches along the way, we then flew on to New York and found a couple of caches there, but it was a few months before we found our first Irish cache, which was Bootle's 'Howth Cliff Walk - Martello Tower', our 20th find at that stage :D

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 pm

We had enjoyed a lovely phesant lunch in our home one Sunday afternoon with good friends of ours ( candddavey ) they had been introduced to geocaching through the Lantern Walkers.

He did a search on his iPhone for our nearest caches and found some of the Belvoir forest ones on the search. I raked out our car sat-nav and inputted the co-ordinates he gave me. We tried to find Belvoir Treasure box, but between the 4 of us we didn't find it. We then tried to find **Up a gum Tree** with no success either.

Determined to have at least 1 find we went to **Fairy Convenient** and found a little wooden door lying against a tree. There was no logbook or anything resembling a geocache as we now know it, but it was enough to have us hooked.

We came home and later in the evening downloaded the blackberry phone cacheberry app and GCz2 for windows mobile.

We went mental for a couple of months finding all our local caches, even to the point where our poor cat was neglected at home and we ate out in between our finds.

We have to admit to being fair weather geocachers, as our stats have plateaued out over recent months.

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:50 pm

I first heard about geocaching at an annual scrapbooking event I was attending in Tullamore in Feb 2007. One of the scrapbooking teachers was over from Kent and she had recently become a geocacher and was hopiing to find the cache at dublin airport on her way back home. I didn't think to look it up at that stage and didn't know about gps's but I knew that a lot of my fellow paper crafters in the UK were getting very interested in this new hobby.

At the 2008 scrapbooking event in Tullamore, a few more of the attendees had become geocachers and had found a few in the midlands of ireland. When I 'spoke' online to another scrapper in Kent who had just begun to geocache she mentioned that there was a cache at Bunaninver which we would probably pass by on our way to Tory!! I was intrigued, 15 mins later she was back to tell me that there was a cache on Tory Island - I couldn't believe it!! We tried to find the Bunaninver cache a few times without a gps to no avail.

A gps was duely ordered from the USA and when it arrived in early April 2008 we headed out to find the Tory cache which had been placed by Netdrum, and funnily enough we nearly bumped into Netdrum at Bunaninver a few days later, but we were too shy to introduce ourselves at that stage, but we did find that cache within an hour of each other!!

Because of our location we havent found a huge number of caches yet, but it's a fantastic hobby and we are really enjoying it.

junglemac
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by junglemac » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 am

I first heard about geocaching years ago on TV (could have been countryfile or something like that) i found the whole idea interesting and had a look on GC.com but thw nearest cache was miles away. I forgot about it until 2009. A work collegue had told me about it and said there was one very close to work. It was the now infamous Austins cache.

I spent quite a few hours looking for it over the next coming week or so to no avail. But it was enough to get me interested if there was any others near by. So i googled geocaching and found the main listings site, and low and behold there was several within a few miles. and 2 within a mile of home.

That night i looked at the listing and left for work a little earlier than normal. within 10 minutes i had the cache in hand. i havent looked back since then.

fitzet
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by fitzet » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I was aware of it without knowing any detail. One night our son went off with his Cub pack to Saint Annes Park to do some 'geo something'. When he got home his eyes were shining and he was so excited about his first experience of geocaching.

We looked it up on the web and found listings for quite a few near home. A few days later, the kids (fitzeens) and I went to the Hole in the Wall, or Burrow, beach and, using a basic in-car sat nav, managed to locate the one there. The next weekend, with fitzet herself in tow, we went to St. Doulaghs and were treated to a fascinating tour of the church and grounds. The bug was completely on us, and we're now into our 3rd Summer of it.

A Garmin GEKO was bought on ebay, later to be superceded by the iphone app, and now complemented by an inherited eTrex.

A couple of neighbouring families are also enthusiasts and, while there is no stated competition, there is a unspoken practice of keeping an eye on each others activities and not letting any gap get too big.