March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Team vs Solo

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

obclan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Team vs Solo

Post by obclan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:35 pm

I usually go out with my son Lahtac. I like the company and share in the experience. Tried to get the other half involved but no luck so far. Maybe when the weather improves.

hairytoeman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by hairytoeman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Caching in company or alone, both enjoyable.
Mostly cache alone now. On way to work, after work, during work, on way somewhere...
Htm Jr was with me on many early caching forays, but he now prefers TV to small toys. Dog has been out for a few, but still hasn't got the hang of geocaching. Sometimes went with wiltedorchid who is having a break. Wife humours me, but feel guilty letting her humour me too often.
Events are good to meet a random assortment of people at different caches and mix things up a bit, but also enjoyed a caching weekend in Fermanagh with my caching children and the FBZ clan.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:52 am

I'd rather go out with some company but for the most part I usually end up going solo. I like having a co-pilot who knows what to do or where to go. Kids and family get bored if i do more than one on an outing. Events are good for finding other nutters. I just need to find a reliable local nutter to get out with.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Enjoy events and the social side of caching but prefer to cache alone or with other cachers. Family just are not interested and world war 3 breaks out half a mile / 5 minutes before GZ. Wife and kids don't enjoy travelling long distances by car so it's just easier to go by myself.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

CluelessTwo
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by CluelessTwo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:24 pm

We always try to cache together. When we have went solo, we have been told off by the other party about "what could have happened" if I wasn't there. We generally like to try and find a few when were out to make it worth while.

NaDoohans

Post by NaDoohans » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Definately with the family :D Usually it's just me and the children or maybe just one child depending on their mood on the day, but i prefer when my husband can come with us but because of his job that isn't possible very often :cry: My mum also accompanies us on occassion :D

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:38 pm

How many do you need on your team to find 413 in a 24 hour period :?:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 am

4 By the looks of things and to be in Denver :)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 am

cannot begin to imagine how this could be achieved.
taken me almost 5 years to get to nearly 500 :shock:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:57 pm

Think you have to be even more bonkers than the rest of us anyhow :roll:

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde