March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

flooded caches

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dogwhisperers
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

flooded caches

Post by dogwhisperers » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Hello everybody

Having come across some pretty wet cache areas here in the SE, I got to thinking about all the floods in the west of Ireland. I wonder will it wash away some of the caches over there. #-o

Has there been any reports so far?

regards

dogwhisperers

jrm-irl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: flooded caches

Post by jrm-irl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:28 pm

I'd imagine there'd be a few that might have floated away. I guess we won't know until the DNFs start getting posted.

Both my active caches are on high(ish) ground, phew!

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:37 pm

You are lucky, it has made me rethink about places I previously thought would be good to start hiding. Well, better go work on that ark, I hear it is to rain for the next 36 days.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:38 pm

I have one in Limerick, the POI which it is on was mentioned on the news. :(
I'll check in on it in Feb. when I'm FTFing JRM-IRLs Tails'n'snails :twisted:

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 pm

johnrm wrote:I have one in Limerick, the POI which it is on was mentioned on the news. :(
I'll check in on it in Feb. when I'm FTFing JRM-IRLs Tails'n'snails :twisted:
At this rate you'll be safe to leave the Tails'n'Trails FTF until the Summer :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it'll probably be covered by snails then too :twisted:

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:40 am

I may have lost one already, and it's in WIcklow!
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... fcfe7e8b83

This can't be the only one. I bet there will be caches found missing for quite a while after these floods.

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm

What a pity Fjon, that was one of my favourites too. It is just luck that I removed the funky frog TB from the meetings not too long ago and sent him hopping on his way around the world. I remember about 15 years ago when that whole area was under about 20ft of water, the whole Avoca village was in-passable. The government needs to listen to the experts when it comes to dealing with waterway management, the whole weather pattern is going to change over the next 40 years and we need to be ready for this wetter weather and climate changes. It is too late when the damage is done, and people are left homeless. As always it is the little people that suffer.

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:20 am

anyone heard anything from Parkmoy - he is probably under 10 ft of water... :( ..

Fermanagh had 38 days of consecutive rain - hope all is well Parkmoy

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:42 pm

anyone heard anything from Parkmoy - he is probably under 10 ft of water..
:D :D :D

No, still afloat :) Nearest flood about 1 mile away though the fields are pretty sodden. My wee tractor got wet though and the electrics have given up hope :roll: Most of my caches are on high ground thank goodness but there's some of the Eniiskillen series that may be gone. Have to wait for the lough to go down before I can check, meanwhile I'll continue building the Ark just in case :wink:

stormthoughts

Post by stormthoughts » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

As a newby to this caching business I was disappointed when one of my first caches was almost unfindable as Lough Cullinn had risen above it in the previous few months and covered the area with detritus/rotting reeds and lots of plastic containers. I put a maintenance note on the web site, but I did find it!!!

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am

stormthoughts wrote:As a newby to this caching business I was disappointed when one of my first caches was almost unfindable as Lough Cullinn had risen above it in the previous few months and covered the area with detritus/rotting reeds and lots of plastic containers. I put a maintenance note on the web site, but I did find it!!!
I don't think Lough Cullin has ever risen as high. It must have been 2metres at least!
The cache is now dried out and in good condition once again.
Thanks to stormthoughts for drawing attention to the problem.