March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

dino

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by dino » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Phonebox :mrgreen:
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by wildfowler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Do you get a snazzy costume too? :lol:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by parkmoy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Phonebox
Well, if you ask me, ( and I know you haven't :o ) you look damn silly with your underpants on the outside :mrgreen:

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 pm

wildfowler wrote:How'd that happen? One minute it's dino, next minute it's Croaghan?????

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Black Magic! :twisted:

dino

Post by dino » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:40 pm

wildfowler wrote:Do you get a snazzy costume too? :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Croaghan wrote: So what about multi-caches where you have to visit information boards to get information to calculate the location of the cache. It's the same thing.
But you use coordinates to find the cache, so is not the same. Using photo to locate place is not the same as find this place using coordinates, isn't it?
Also what about library caches where you have to find a container that contains a shelf code and book name which is a fake book containing the cache. That is information other than coordinates and they are multi-caches.
I know what cache are you talking about - and I was surprised it was multi, not mystery, when got information to final cache. You are reviewer, and you are most experienced than me, but in my opinion multi-cache is just going "from coordinates to coordinates", and puzzle/mystery when you using something more than GPS and simple calculations. But maybe I'm just wrong.
An LBH cache must contain a stamp. That is what makes it an LBH, not the method of finding it
As I know for this type of cache stamp and mix of coordinates and clues are necessary.

I think some things on Geocaching.com are just not explained well, and every reviewer has his own vision :roll:

dino

Post by dino » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:46 pm

toczygroszek wrote:I think some things on Geocaching.com are just not explained well, and every reviewer has his own vision :roll:
And every cacher it seems ;)

Kili or bust

Post by Kili or bust » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:24 pm

dino wrote:

:D :D :D :D Where do you dig them up?? :D :D :D :D

dino

Post by dino » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:48 am

Kili or bust wrote:
dino wrote:

:D :D :D :D Where do you dig them up?? :D :D :D :D
I'm not sure what you mean but that one came from my personal photo collection :?

:wink:

gilliancclarke

Post by gilliancclarke » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm planning a series of caches with a couple of other cachers. The plan was that I would type up all the cache descriptions but would put the other cachers names into the 'Cached placed by' section.

Does this mean:-

1. That all the notifications will come to me?
2. If I try to log a find under the others names will it allow me?
3. All of them will show under my hidden caches ?

Ta
Gill

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by Croaghan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:40 pm

gilliancclarke wrote:I'm planning a series of caches with a couple of other cachers. The plan was that I would type up all the cache descriptions but would put the other cachers names into the 'Cached placed by' section.

Does this mean:-

1. That all the notifications will come to me?
If the caches are published using your account then no matter what name you put on the cache they are still "owned" by you. This means that all the notifications will come to the email on your account
gilliancclarke wrote:2. If I try to log a find under the others names will it allow me?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this? I think you're asking can you log one of the other caches that is listed against your account but not placed by you? If so then the answer is yes, in fact you can even log one of your own caches and as many times as you want :shock:
gilliancclarke wrote:3. All of them will show under my hidden caches ?
If they are placed using your account then they will.

If you don't want the caches listed on your account then there are a couple of ways around it:

1. List them as your account as suggested with the other owners' names in the "Placed By" section. I'll review and hopefully publish them and then you can adopt them over to whoever you wish. This will transfer the ownership and the new owners will get the emails, etc.

2. Create a new account as a team of cachers with a password and email address that is shared by all members of the team (GMail is good for this). List the caches under this new account and then everyone has the same access etc. There is already a team placing caches like this in the Naas area (Eternal Treasure Seekers).
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:13 pm

What are the rules on placing a series of caches at the minimum distance apart. I would like to plan a walk around an Island.
My understanding is that there is no road around and you would have to walk it.

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:07 pm

This sounds to me like a "Power Trail". This was one of the first questions asked in this thread:

http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... 883#p23883

Since then the guidelines have been re-worded to remove the ban on power trails. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#sat
Cache Saturation

Cache containers and physical stages should generally be separated by a minimum of 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m). A physical stage is defined as any stage that contains a physical element placed by the geocache owner, such as a tag with the next set of coordinates or a container. Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline.

Additionally, within a single multi-cache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between physical elements.

Please don't hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. The ultimate goals of the saturation guideline are to encourage you to seek out new places to hide caches rather than putting them in areas where caches already exist and to limit the number of caches hidden in a particular area, especially by the same hider. Groundspeak may further restrict cache listings in areas where cache saturation becomes a concern.
My personal feeling is that this could be a really good spot for a multi-cache similar to Netdrum's on Tory Island GC13EFP

Its only had three finds and one DNF but that is as much to do with the location of the island and its inaccessibility for much of the year. It looks like it may well become quite a milestone cache though.

If you want more hides then you could also go for a mixture of multis and traditional caches.

Whatever you do decide please try to make them as interesting as possible. Try and have individual pages with information about the area and try and make sure that each cache can stand on its own merits as an interesting location to visit. If they can't then just make it one multi comprised of a nice walk :mrgreen:

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:27 pm

The reason for this is it's an really nice island that I wanted to place caches around it, in the aim to get ppl to come and see this island at minimum distance you might get 10 to 15 caches but I would plant difference caches and make some harder to find.
At the min I am just thinking about it and wanted to see what would be allowed.

Would this be allowed if
I placed most of the caches at places I want ppl to stop and see something not just find a cache

If I made the caches different types and sizes

I was thinking maybe 500m apart.

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:52 am

Whatever you do decide please try to make them as interesting as possible. Try and have individual pages with information about the area and try and make sure that each cache can stand on its own merits as an interesting location to visit. If they can't then just make it one multi comprised of a nice walk
Yes, a really really long multi with lots of stages. Then it can be saved for a rainy day. Oh sorry that's been done already :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 am

Zoe andDaddy wrote:The reason for this is it's an really nice island that I wanted to place caches around it, in the aim to get ppl to come and see this island at minimum distance you might get 10 to 15 caches but I would plant difference caches and make some harder to find.
At the min I am just thinking about it and wanted to see what would be allowed.

Would this be allowed if
I placed most of the caches at places I want ppl to stop and see something not just find a cache

If I made the caches different types and sizes

I was thinking maybe 500m apart.
There's absolutely nothing in the guidelines to prevent doing this and with a bit of thought and planning it could be a great series of caches.

One point of caution. Be wary placing too many caches at the same time. What I've found is that the quality of the cache, container and listing page tends to decrease as the number of placed caches increases. I've fallen victim to this myself when placing caches for an event.

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi all.
I have found all the info on this topic very interesting, although I have to admit I got lost reading some of toczygroszek's questions, let alone follow the answers :)
I have just a small query (by comparison). I'm planning a couple of traditional caches, but with the bad weather finding it hard to check the co-ords properly etc, so I'm stalling them for another few days. In the meantime I'm playing around trying to work out about the background & placing pictures /photos on the page etc.
My query is: I know I can block the reviewer by un-ticking the box until I'm happy enough to submit the cache for review, but once I put the initial page up, is there anything I won't be able to change? For instance the co-ords?
Sorry if this has been asked / answered somewhere else.
Thanks for any help

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:13 am

Eily wrote:Sorry if this has been asked / answered somewhere else.
No matter. This is what this thread is for 8)
Eily wrote:My query is: I know I can block the reviewer by un-ticking the box until I'm happy enough to submit the cache for review, but once I put the initial page up, is there anything I won't be able to change? For instance the co-ords?
You can change the coords if the distance moved is less than 161m/0.1miles. This is to avoid a cacher moving a cache a huge distance and bringing it too close to another or in to an area where caching isn't permitted or where specific permissions are required.

If you try to move the cache too far you will get a message on screen and a prompt to contact your reviewer to change the distance for you. At that stage I will check the new location and if all is well will make the change for you. If there is a problem I'll email you back and we can try to work something out.

Every coordinate change creates a notification email that gets sent to the local reviewer to check even if it is within the 161m. This is to ensure cache owners aren't "leapfrogging" their cache by moving it multiple times of 150m each time to eventually end up 5km away!

The only other thing I can think of right now that you can't change is the cache type once published. Once again though I can do that for you if requested by email.

Hope that helps

:mrgreen:

edit: I've just re-read your query and I think you were asking about changes prior to publication? If so you can change anything before it's published. The limits I explained above are only post-publication!

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl