March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by Blue Jay » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 pm

dino wrote:There is no way to view archived listings via GC.com

The only way you could do this would be if you had been keeping and offline DB of all Irish caches and keeping it up do date on a daily basis. You would need to be a real nerdy weirdo to do this ;)
Oh I wonder would we know anyone at all who would have such a database? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Silver Soldier - I just noticed a reference on a log on a cache in Wales where people were visiting particular caches on their birthdays for a challenge in Glasgow - not sure of the details but could be worth mulling over (also not sure how it would sit now within the guidelines) just floating the idea as you were looking for ideas for challenges.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

silver soldier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by silver soldier » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:27 am

i was wondering about the 6 icon in a day cache and then the cache itself
judging by the distance to log this from southern ireland
is there any possibility of maybe a leinster 6 icon challenge or can there only be 1 on
the island of ireland ---- even if it has to be varied in some way

diosma1
Knockmealdown 794m
Knockmealdown 794m
Title: **Child**

Post by diosma1 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi. It would be great if the reviewers could give me their opinion on having a foreign exchange cache in Ireland? It's where a person has to go to one place to get the co-ordinates for the other place. They can get help from other people, etc. An example is the Amsterdam-Atlanta.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:02 pm

There's one in Cork ;)

http://coord.info/GC4ZD19

GoldCircle
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by GoldCircle » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:51 pm

And there'll be one in Dublin/New Jersey very soon too! :wink:
Image Image

Tmsr
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Tmsr » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:03 am

Been asked to do something simikar for Virginia (not Cavan) but think it might be more like a Stargate...
Some very ambitious all countries of Europe proposal I agreed to from someone in Portugal seems to have died!

dino

Post by dino » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 am

There have been a few of these and they used to be quite good with COs sending each other trade items from their own country and keeping them themed. If there is a dedicated maintenance plan with a local cacher then they are usually fine. Most of what I have seen recently are just holiday caches as someone wants to own a cache in Ireland :(

Only issue to avoid is a group called International Cache Exchange (ICE). They managed to piss off GC HQ and can't be mentioned.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 pm

This cache in New York is said to exchange contents with a cache in Dublin.

japandamo
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by japandamo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:42 am

Hi there,

Just wondering, why is it that some events show up on the geocaching map over others. I've created a CITO event in Listowel (thanks very much for publishing it by the way), which is visible when I zoom out beyond the 10km scale it vanishes from the map. Is this something that happens with CITO events, as I haven't come across any among the many random samples I have selected on the map at this scale.

Am I as well off creating a regular event for the morning of, or the evening after or before (or all of these) so that all of them can be found on the map. As a first-time event organiser the thought is a little bit daunting, but I can make it happen!

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:25 am

The GC site is very slow due to all the PI day activity (cost me my PI day unknown souvenir after a DNF on my planned one, thanks GC) and I've noticed that with new caches they don't immediately display at every zoom level... must be the way the site parses data. I have seen it before, if you wait a day it'll probably all be ok.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 pm

Why are you creating multiple events? It will show up in all the lists that folks use to see what's happening.

japandamo
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by japandamo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:09 am

Hey guys thanks for getting back to me, I had thought I'd get an email to notify me if I got a reply, but obviously I haven't set that up!
dino wrote:Why are you creating multiple events? It will show up in all the lists that folks use to see what's happening.
Lists you say? I've tried hunting around for a list but I couldn't find one...at least not one that isn't mostly comprised of overseas events.
THE_Chris wrote:The GC site is very slow due to all the PI day activity (cost me my PI day unknown souvenir after a DNF on my planned one, thanks GC) and I've noticed that with new caches they don't immediately display at every zoom level... must be the way the site parses data. I have seen it before, if you wait a day it'll probably all be ok.
Hmm...it's still not coming up. Sorry to hear you missed out on your PI day souvenir.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:32 pm

The CO allowed me to log the cache as found, so I got my souvenir in the end :D Will head up that direction sometime soon to find the container anyway but kudos to the CO for giving me the thumbs up :D

japandamo
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by japandamo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Another question, once again regarding my CITO event this weekend. Is it possible to publish a geocache, but to have it go live at a certain time? Say...three o'clock this Saturday, which would be after the CITO and just after the teas and coffees?

Not sure what a reviewers capabilities are, can you schedule it? Or would you have to have your finger on the button waiting for 3pm?

Thanks a million.

dino

Post by dino » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:45 pm

It *can* be organised but it takes longer than normal and we prefer advanced notice for caches organised in conjunction with an event. There's no guarantee your cache will pass review first time around and 4 days is tight as we don't review every day.

japandamo
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by japandamo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Ah.

Right. The curse of the sudden, but belated, flash of inspiration. Was at work all day today too, so now it's looking like three days.

I'm going to go ahead and hope for the best anyway [-o< , sure the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work! I'll be more prepared next time around!

Thanks for the reply, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. I guess that I just put the time in the Reviewer notes...

dino

Post by dino » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 am

japandamo wrote:I guess that I just put the time in the Reviewer notes...
Correct 8-)

Doug.G
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Ask The Reviewer

Post by Doug.G » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:40 am

I was searching for geocaches that had the SCUBA attribute as it is something I am genuinely interested in doing. Bizarrely I stumbled across a series of Ireland EVENT caches that also had the Scuba attribute ticked... as well as snowshoes, snowmobiles, and WHEELCHAIRS! Refer images below.

These are obviously bogus attributes... Should these be checked when the cache is first published? Obviously attributes can be subjective, but snowshoes and scuba-gear for wheelchair users on DT 1/1 event caches is *dubious* to say the least. Perhaps Reviewers could check the Attributes for Event caches to stop this bizarre practice.

And I didn't find the legitimate scuba-cache that I was looking for...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441539432.998931.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441539432.998931.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 2864 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441539412.198702.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441539412.198702.jpg (81.06 KiB) Viewed 2864 times

dino

Post by dino » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Bonkers as it may seem attributes are not part of the review process and with the exception of a few (Wheelchair accessible, beacon and field puzzle) GC HQ have asked us not to delay publish because of attributes.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:29 pm

There are some challenges where you need to have logged finds on x number of caches with x attributes - scuba diving being one - this is a way of doing that :D - Also it makes it easy to search for certain caches - like some power runs - bizarrely I don't even swim let alone scuba dive but I believe I have logged about 400 caches on Route 66 with scuba attribute. :lol: :lol: I think in that case it's to help with sorting and searching etc .

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde