March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

dino

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by dino » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:16 am

Permission is required for *every* cache placement *everywhere*. However, as reviewers we operate on a "permission presumed" basis as you tick the box to say you have read and adhere to the GC.com guidelines. One of these is that you state you have obtained appropriate permission to place the cache.

We only ask for details when the cache is placed in a historically or environmentally sensitive area, private property or an area managed by a landowner that either has specific requirements or has banned Geocaching altogether.

In the case of a university campus there will be security staff and CCTV so any suspicious activity is likely to cause concerns. To protect the owner and anyone searching the cache the university authorities would need to sanction the placement.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:55 pm

"Lackey Eric Schudiske told It’s Not About The Numbers that its two month-long event cache trial in Ontario, Canada had gone exceptionally well; so well that it intends to rewrite the rules of our favourite game, thereby allowing organised group cache hunts to become a permanent, worldwide feature."

http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2012/ ... -calendar/

Any idea if and when the rules will be rewritten. Not planning one myself, just nosey. :-

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:53 pm

It's been discussed in the Reviewers' forum and I'm aware of the trial and the possible change but I've no idea if/when it will be implemented.

Even if I did I don't think I'd be able to say anything until the official announcement was made ;)

miah505

Post by miah505 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I have geocaching relations coming with us tomorrow and I have a premium member cache on the to do list. Is it ok if they log that cache as a find (assuming we find it) or is it wrong for a non-premium member to log it?

dino

Post by dino » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Some COs are a bit funny about this but most are usually fine. There is a way they can log it but I don't recall what it is, someone else will need to give that information.

However, I would suggest emailing the CO to let them know your family are planning to log the cache before writing the actual log.

miah505

Post by miah505 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks Dino. I will do that.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 pm

dino wrote:There is a way they can log it but I don't recall what it is, someone else will need to give that information.
Type a URL such as this into your browser's address window: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?wp=gc8, substituting the GC number of the cache you want to log.

The cache owner isn't notified that the log came from a non-premium member. They would have to visit the log and click through to the logger's profile.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:44 am

Two other ways to log a premium cache if not a premium member

(1) geocachingadmin.com, enter the GC code and choose log

(2) If their unit generates field notes just upload it to their profile and it will bring them to the log screen.

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm

I can find answer anywhere but I know it was somewhere here.

I would like to place cache in Coillte Forest - Killinthomas in Co.Kildare.

Do I need permission from Collite ?

MunsterFan
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by MunsterFan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 pm

tramyard
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by tramyard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks!

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Couple of queries

Came across a cache which had been archived by a reviewer because of the container type - a glass jar. Should all of these types of containers have NA's put on them. Did one recently in Dublin which was a glass jar.

Geoart - am toying around with a geo art made up of puzzle caches. Technically the cache coordinates published are supposed to be within a reasonable distance of the actual puzzle. Might come to nothing but before I spend a lot of time on it, whats the rough max distance above. Trying to avoid using putting them at random posts to keep them all within a couple of kms.

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by THE_Chris » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Are you planning a Sussex Olympic Ring marathon?

[Search the map for "borde hill lane sussex"]

dino

Post by dino » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:41 pm

medic143 wrote:Came across a cache which had been archived by a reviewer because of the container type - a glass jar.
Was this in Ireland? I'm ambivalent towards them but they can be a risk to animals and people if they get broken. I know many US cachers use them in desert conditions as they are good for extreme temperature changes experienced there.
medic143 wrote:Geoart - am toying around with a geo art made up of puzzle caches. Technically the cache coordinates published are supposed to be within a reasonable distance of the actual puzzle. Might come to nothing but before I spend a lot of time on it, whats the rough max distance above. Trying to avoid using putting them at random posts to keep them all within a couple of kms.
Guidelines are your friend: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... 308#puzzle

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

dino wrote:
medic143 wrote:Came across a cache which had been archived by a reviewer because of the container type - a glass jar.
Was this in Ireland? I'm ambivalent towards them but they can be a risk to animals and people if they get broken. I know many US cachers use them in desert conditions as they are good for extreme temperature changes experienced there.

Yes, up the North. "Archiving cache due to unsuitable container".

Guidelines are your friend: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... 308#puzzle
Badly phrased question initially. I know the guidelines, the question was how rigidly it would be applied. In order not to have the art disturbed it would have to go over water so you're generally losing distance straight off. Haven't plotted it out but I figure with 2-3 km I might end up putting stuff in any old spot just to keep it within the 3km cutoff.

Not a fan of throwing stuff out randomly just for a pretty picture. Have seen a few in the US and am highly skeptical that they're within 3km. I understand the need for the rule. Spent a while solving one yards from my Vegas hotel to find the verified final 14km away in the hills #-o

Anyhow the idea knocking around in my head is the star trek logo as I've been dreaming up all sorts of nasty puzzles in response to other cachers fan themed caches. Might opt for something like the alchemy series in the UK with progressive levels and sod the art.

dino

Post by dino » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:37 pm

medic143 wrote:the question was how rigidly it would be applied.
We always keep to the 3km limit

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:31 pm

It's just been pointed out to me that one of the caches I adopted is 2.95 km from the original co-ords - while this is within the limits I think it's more than most people expect so I would like to move it a bit.
What is the procedure for this? Just move it & you get notified to check it? Do it by a reviewers note? Email you the details?
Thanks

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

dino

Post by dino » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Email me the GC Code and proposed coordinates and I'll check them for proximity etc.

This is assuming you mean the final coords. If it's the posted coordinates then you just change them as normal using an "Update Coordinates" log.

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks Dino - it is the posted co-ords so I'll just do that then :D

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Won't let me do that as it says it's too far & to contact you - so I'll email you on your profile with the details.