March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by THE_Chris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:51 am

Here was the (quite enterprising) solution to putting the clue to a cache inside the Deutsches Museum in Munich. A seperate puzzle that means you dont have to go inside if you dont want to (but everyone did).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCW5DH

English at the bottom.

barraseaclaid
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 am

@medic

was that the one with the control number etc..we had to get the resident numerologist to figure that one out!

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:03 pm

medic143 wrote:Did a cache in Kerry published in 2010 (not an earth cache) where there s no log sheet to sign. Thought all caches needed a log sheet even "others" ?
Do you have the GC number of it?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 pm

wildfowler wrote:
GC24E1B

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:37 pm

barraseaclaid wrote:@medic

was that the one with the control number etc..we had to get the resident numerologist to figure that one out!
I took a photo of the instructions and still can't work out what they mean. I assume they're written by someone with english as a second language but buggered if I can work out what they want multiplied.

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:44 pm

medic143 wrote:
wildfowler wrote:
GC24E1B
I'll let Niall answer that one since he published it! :roll:

GC24E1B Cache Page Link
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am

@medic.....ask the maths genius....(aka jme)

dino

Post by dino » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 pm

medic143 wrote:
wildfowler wrote:
GC24E1B
No indication on the cache page that there is no logbook. I have a feeling that it has gone missing?

Anyway I'll be contacting the COs to sort it out pronto.

The code calculation is optional so I'd be happy to ignore it ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:17 pm

definetely no room for a logbook in that one as its about 3cm x 3cm x2mm!

interesting and tricky hide all the same

medic143

Post by medic143 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Q on minimum separation. Not sure if it's even going to be an issue until I eventually get round to walking/kayaking a particular spot but say you've two river walks, one on each side of a 100m wide river. Technically you could have 2 caches within 160m of each other but since this is only a guideline and they'd be on opposite sides of a river which couldn't be waded and where there is no close bridge, problem or not ?

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:57 pm

It's funny that you should ask that, because I asked Niall almost exactly the same question some time ago. I was placing a cache in Knocksink Wood near Enniskerry and originally planned to put a corresponding one on the other side of the river, less than 160 metres away.

In the end it didn't work out because I needed to seek permission from the Wicklow Mountains National Park, and only sought permission for one.

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 pm

medic143 wrote:Q on minimum separation. Not sure if it's even going to be an issue until I eventually get round to walking/kayaking a particular spot but say you've two river walks, one on each side of a 100m wide river. Technically you could have 2 caches within 160m of each other but since this is only a guideline and they'd be on opposite sides of a river which couldn't be waded and where there is no close bridge, problem or not ?
Technically you could do that but it's down to the discretion of the Reviewer whether or not they grant an exemption to the 161m guideline. The Guideline is referring to saturation as to restrict the number of caches in an area and not overpopulate it. We work to straight line distances too, so we ignore the fact that you may have to follow roads, paths etc and go directly as the crow flies. This can mean that distance is reduced if there is a substantial physical barrier in the way such as rivers, gorges, canyons etc. Buildings not so much.

See here for more explanation of the saturation guideline - http://support.groundspeak.com/index.ph ... saturation

I will treat each submission on it's own merits and no cache will set a precedence for other caches. So submit it and I will work with you to get it published.
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Are you allowed to hide the final cache of a multi indoor in a building where there is public access

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Well there's a precedence for it anyway 8)

Not sure if you need special dispensation though?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

mr.-oda wrote:Are you allowed to hide the final cache of a multi indoor in a building where there is public access
There's one in Dublin that is a multi with a final indoors,and I've done one in Arizona (regular, not multi) located IN the tourist office.

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Another question, is the landowner liable if a person falls into a river og injure one self during the search, if I has highligtet on the cachepage, that searching for it is on ones own responsibility?

Serapis
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Serapis » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:05 pm

medic143 wrote:
mr.-oda wrote:Are you allowed to hide the final cache of a multi indoor in a building where there is public access
There's one in Dublin that is a multi with a final indoors,and I've done one in Arizona (regular, not multi) located IN the tourist office.

I done an Earth Cache in an Ubahn station in Berlin

http://coord.info/GC23D2J

mr.-oda
Lugnaquillia 925m
Lugnaquillia 925m

Post by mr.-oda » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Ok, then it is out to seek permissions.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:51 pm

mr.-oda wrote:Ok, then it is out to seek permissions.
Whether you can do it is up to the reviewers. I don't think it's actually against the rules as long as there is no entry fee to access the cache, there is promotion of the business as a result of entering the premises and there is no requirement to interact with anyone there.

Subject to being corrected I would imagine a requirement to enter a free non profit museum might be okay but having to ask a time share salesman in his office for information might be pushing the envelope too far.

dino

Re: Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by dino » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 pm

As some have said already it will depend on the building and access.

However, you must include an element of gps use during the search for the cache. This doesn't have to be the final and can be the first stage and/or intermediate stages.

Posted via Tapatalk on Android
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."