March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

andymacmyc
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by andymacmyc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm just wondering how you every manage to find caches Lawrence lol.

Zoe andDaddy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm

If it was a plastic tub and hidden I would have found it, as it was right there I could not see it. lol

Midnighthunter
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Midnighthunter » Tue May 10, 2011 12:05 pm

andymacmyc wrote:I'm just wondering how you every manage to find caches Lawrence lol.
Andy
At least he is finding them still and not resorted to just hiding them.
It's time you got out there and reached the 200 while driving around the peninsula hiding your new series, lol.

andymacmyc

Post by andymacmyc » Tue May 10, 2011 2:19 pm

What can I say Lee I just like to give back to the community. Did you go and disinfect GC2VP5Q lol.

Midnighthunter
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Midnighthunter » Tue May 10, 2011 2:33 pm

andymacmyc wrote:What can I say Lee I just like to give back to the community. Did you go and disinfect GC2VP5Q lol.
Im waiting for you to find it 1st.
Although it's in Ards, I might be waiting a while.

Hurry up and get the rest of that Peninsula drive out so I can get another day out and try to beat my 22 finds in a day.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:59 am

Almost certain I'm right on this one. (1) I can put out a letter box cache whose listed coordinates are within 160m of another physical cache as long as the end coordinates are more than the 160m away. (2) The only requirement that makes it a letter box is the stamp. (3) I can pretty much make the journey to the final location anything I want from follow a trail of breadcrumbs to a descriptive route.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Fri May 13, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm not a reviewer, but I don't think that's right. A letterbox cache is one that is listed both on a letterbox site and on geocaching.com. For the latter, you must give its final coordinates.

If you use the puzzle cache type instead of letterbox, you could set up a letterbox cache, list it on both sites, and use letterbox-style instructions starting from the published coordinates (e.g., from the car park, walk 150 steps north to a gnarled tree, turn right and head for the stone monument ...) In the U.S. at least, the final cache must be within two miles of the published coordinates.

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 13, 2011 8:43 pm

The "Letterbox Hybrid Cache" (LBH) is probably the least understood of all cache types. It even creates a lot of discussion among reviewers when trying to decide if one is designed properly.

Essentially an LBH is a standard cache with a stamp. It can be a traditional, multi, puzzle, whatever but once you add the stamp (and *only* then) you can call it a LBH.

My personal favourite versions of LBH are as follows:

1. A cache which can be found using *either* GPS coords or clues. The posted coordinates are for the general area and the actual cache location is on the cache page as a visible Additional Waypoint.

2. A cache which is found using a combination of clues and GPS coordinates. The posted coordinates are usually for a specific, difficult to find location (satisfying the GPS requirement) and then you follow clues to the cache either from the cache description or from a container hidden at the posted coordinates.

To me these both preserve the essence of a Letterbox while still feeling like a cache 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

dino

Post by dino » Fri May 13, 2011 8:45 pm

medic143 wrote:Almost certain I'm right on this one. (1) I can put out a letter box cache whose listed coordinates are within 160m of another physical cache as long as the end coordinates are more than the 160m away. (2) The only requirement that makes it a letter box is the stamp. (3) I can pretty much make the journey to the final location anything I want from follow a trail of breadcrumbs to a descriptive route.
(1) As long as the posted coordinates are for a virtual waypoint only and not a physical container.

(2) Correct

(3) Correct. However, there *must* be some component of GPS usage as it must also qualify as a cache.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks, now first thing I'll need is a stamp.... :)

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Just noticed that Niall has beaten me to answering this one but here's my tuppence worth on the subject too!

From the KB -
Letterbox Hybrid

This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. Letterbox hybrids must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. A letterbox hybrid may have a mystery or puzzle element, but cannot be designed to be found by only using clues. To seek a letterbox hybrid, you will not need your own personal stamp and letterboxing logbook.
So basically any type of cache can be turned into a Letterbox Hybrid (LBH) with the addition of a stamp. But unlike a Letterbox which is found using clues only , a LBH must be found using a GPS.

The cache listing on Geocaching.com may contain a "treasure hunt or clues" story - possibly a copy of the one from a letterboxing site - but it must either have accurate coordinates for the box ("Traditional/Letterbox hybrid") or a GPS-based puzzle ("Multi-Mystery/Letterbox hybrid").
klossner wrote:A letterbox cache is one that is listed both on a letterbox site and on geocaching.com.
It is not necessary to list it on a Letterboxing site. You can do if you so wish but it is not necessary in order to get it published as a LBH.
klossner wrote:If you use the puzzle cache type instead of letterbox, you could set up a letterbox cache, list it on both sites, and use letterbox-style instructions starting from the published coordinates (e.g., from the car park, walk 150 steps north to a gnarled tree, turn right and head for the stone monument ...) In the U.S. at least, the final cache must be within two miles of the published coordinates.
If you decide to turn a Mystery or a Multi cache into a LBH then the relevant guidelines applying to those cache types also apply. That includes proximity, distance from posted to final etc.

So to answer Eric's original questions -
medic143 wrote:Almost certain I'm right on this one. (1) I can put out a letter box cache whose listed coordinates are within 160m of another physical cache as long as the end coordinates are more than the 160m away. (2) The only requirement that makes it a letter box is the stamp. (3) I can pretty much make the journey to the final location anything I want from follow a trail of breadcrumbs to a descriptive route.
1) Yes but only if it is a mystery/puzzle type of LBH.
2) Yes, all LBH require a stamp that MUST remain in the cache.
3) Yes but there must also be sufficient GPS usage in order to find the final location.
(If the LBH type is of the multi or mystery/puzzle, the final location must be added as an additional waypoint. It can be hidden obviously)
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Fri May 13, 2011 9:22 pm

You can get rubber stamps made by 'The Rubber Stamp Company' in Dublin.
http://rubberstampcompany.goldenpages.ie/
I think they're about EUR10, no doubt you'll get them cheaper on the net, but its nice to buy Irish.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Tue May 24, 2011 10:22 pm

I am sure this question has been asked before but I would like to know if it is possible to change a multi to traditional cache without have to archive the multi ?????

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:51 am

spy caleb wrote:I am sure this question has been asked before but I would like to know if it is possible to change a multi to traditional cache without have to archive the multi ?????
Was done for me by Niall when the info boards for the IPs on a multi were removed. Sure it can be done for you.

dino

Post by dino » Wed May 25, 2011 8:03 am

It can be done but I really prefer not to as it affects the stats of those who have already found it. It is much better to archive the old cache and publish a new one as the experience is now different. If the area was worth visiting the first time then it is worth bringing someone back again.

The exception to this is if a cache was published using the wrong designation from the beginning or if it hasn't been found and the CO needs to change the cache design for some reason.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:46 am

I could have sworn there was a prohibition on publishing caches that require an entry fee to be paid to do the cache (e.g. putting one inside Dublin Zoo) but having checked the guidelines can't just see one. Am I making up my own rules or searching badly ? =P~

dino

Post by dino » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm

It's part of the commercial guideline:
Commercial caches are disallowed. As a general rule, reviewers will not publish cache pages that seem commercial. A commercial cache has one or more of the following characteristics:

It requires the finder to go inside a business, interact with employees and/or purchase a product or service.
It has overtones of advertising, marketing or promotion.
It contains links to businesses, commercial advertisers, charities, political agendas or social agendas.
It contains the logo of a business or organization, including non-profit organizations.
The name of a business or commercial product is on the cache page.
On very rare occasions, Groundspeak makes an exception for a commercial cache. Arrangements are made before placement. If your cache is commercial in any way, please contact Groundspeak for clarification about how to comply with cache listing guidelines.
However, depending on the site (if is Not For Profit for example) this might be waived. A number of caches have been published recently on NT or OPW properties that require an entrance fee but these are not commercial ventures.

Is that why you were asking or have you a cache idea?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:54 pm

dino wrote:
However, depending on the site (if is Not For Profit for example) this might be waived. A number of caches have been published recently on NT or OPW properties that require an entrance fee but these are not commercial ventures.

Is that why you were asking or have you a cache idea?[/quote]

I saw one of the NT ones and I had this notion (wrongly as it transpires) that all fee paying caches were on santa's naughty list but when I did my own checking I found what you stated. Guess my imagination is just playing tricks on me. #-o

PS: I have loads of caches ideas, I even have containers sitting on the desk looking at me - logs in them and all. Just have to stop finding them and go and place some. 8)

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:02 pm

I recently did a cache with two friends in a NT site, lucky I'm a member but they had to fork out the £5.80 each to visit the site. In the end we got a joint FTF and no one complained. Given the support that the NT has given to the placement of caches the odd entrance fee is not too much to be expected.

Also most NT properties are not secured and if you don't want to pay you have two options, don't do the cache or park outside the site and find another entrance point which by passes the payment, but at least do feel guilty if you chose the second option.

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:10 am

Did a cache in Kerry published in 2010 (not an earth cache) where there s no log sheet to sign. Thought all caches needed a log sheet even "others" ?