March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by Croaghan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 am

Sorry Kevin, I don't review ECs. These are looked after by a specific team of reviewers and a specific set of guidelines that are agreed by the Geographical Society of America. There is however, a specific Groundspeak Forum for ECs: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=67

This is a link to the EC guidelines: http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/guidelines.htm on the EC homepage http://www.earthcache.org/

This is probably the section you want (my emphasis):
6. Logging of an EarthCache must involve visitors undertaking some educational task that relates to the Earth science at the site. This could involve measuring or estimating the size of some feature or aspect of the site, collecting and recording data (such as time of a tidal bore), or sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the answer to Earth science related questions they obtained by reading an information display. While photographs may be requested, they do not take the place of other logging requirements. Taking a photograph alone or asking people to do internet research does NOT meet these logging guidelines. Requests for specific content in the photograph (must include the visitor's face, for example) will be considered an additional logging requirement and must be optional. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.
Now saying that some of the older ECs with a publish date prior to this guideline may have that request and may be grandfathered. My own EC, for example, requires a photograph to log a find. However, you would need to ask an EC reviewer specifically.

GeowareUK looks after ECs in Ireland and is a member of this forum so posting in their introduction thread (http://forums.geocachingireland.com/vie ... =15&t=2709) might be a good place to start.

8)
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

geoawareUK
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by geoawareUK » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Sorry, but you cannot require a photograph of the cacher or their GPS. You can, however require one related to the Earth science 'lesson' such as "find and photograph one of the dinosaur footprints and say which of the dinosaurs shown on the information board made it".

GeoawareUK

Donmoore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Donmoore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:56 pm

I did a new one at the weekend that required me to be photographed in front of the detroit river. saying that I have logged it and others and still have not uploaded the photos I took but I did do all that was asked of me.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... c79eff13e1

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 am

geoawareUK wrote:Sorry, but you cannot require a photograph of the cacher or their GPS. You can, however require one related to the Earth science 'lesson' such as "find and photograph one of the dinosaur footprints and say which of the dinosaurs shown on the information board made it".

GeoawareUK
I also have logged finds through submitting a photo of myself, with GPSr, infront of the subject. I believe though, if you are extremely camera shy, you can just have, say, your hand holding gps, am I correct?

geoawareUK

Post by geoawareUK » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 pm

dogwhisperers wrote: I also have logged finds through submitting a photo of myself, with GPSr, infront of the subject. I believe though, if you are extremely camera shy, you can just have, say, your hand holding gps, am I correct?

EarthCaches published under the previous guidlines (and which were 'grandfathered' in after the new guidelines came out) normally require a photo, and often state '...of you and your GPS'.

This is a bit tricky (to say the least!) to arrange if you are on your own (or are just shy!) so most EC owners will accept a photo of your GPSr with the EC subject clearly visible in the background, particularly if you've had a good stab at the logging questions/tasks.

In the US, some EC owners may be a bit stricter on this (though I've never had any problems personally) but if you are unsure, you could always ask in advance and if your log is deleted [-X (which would sem highly unlikely) then contact GC.com or the reviewer that published the EC.

Hope this helps.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 am

no grandfathering with the one i linked to as its new but still a photo is a logging requirement.

geoawareUK

Post by geoawareUK » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:11 pm

But it doesn't ask for a picture of the cacher and/or their GPSr.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:00 am

fair enough on that but a photo in front of the detroit river is hardly related either. I dont really mind ALR's anyway.

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey Niall,

What is your advice if you find a cache that has been moved since your last visit?

I found a couple on sunday in carryduff and then went back today to finsih the series off (terrible caches hidden amongst broken bottles and a local flytip) with Loz. 2 of the caches I had found have been moved from where they were and there is no mention of this being down by the CO.

dino

Post by dino » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 pm

I would take coordinates of the "new" location and put a note on the cache page. I'd probably also take a photo and email the CO to let them know and offer to send them the photos.

If the CO is inactive then I'd be tempted to put it back in the original location if the coordinates match the posted cache coordinates.

If you want to email me the GC Codes via my profile http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid ... b922a3ba87 then I can check if the CO ever posted a change coordinates log and then deleted it. In that case it may not be a good idea to move the cache again ;)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm gonna lock this thread until I'm back in the saddle again.

8)
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

dino

Post by dino » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:34 am

This thread has been reactivated now that I'm back reviewing again and that Graham has also been appointed.

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm

So its official then, Welcome Back Niall!

(The Lone Ranger and Tonto!)

Inishanier
Great Sugarloaf 501m
Great Sugarloaf 501m

Post by Inishanier » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:51 pm

johnrm wrote:So its official then, Welcome Back Niall!

(The Lone Ranger and Tonto!)
But which one is which? :twisted:
Volunteer Reviewer for Ireland

Caching as wildfowler

Reviewing as Inishanier and GeoAwareIRL

Check out [Knowledge Books] for additional tips and answers to frequently asked questions.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:23 pm

Just a quick question about the notifications.
I have noticed this on a few of these and I am not sure if I have done something wrong.
On the email notification for Wood You Find? it said 13.8 mi NW on the cache page it said 21.4 mi from your home location.
Why is there this difference is the email not from my home location?

dino

Post by dino » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Is the origin of your notification different to your "Home Location"?

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 pm

For some reason it was set for somewhere west of Belfast. I'm not sure why I did that.
Thanks

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 am

When they did the power trail near Las Vegas they placed all the caches just for an event then did a CITO to clean them up. Is this temporary placement of caches allowed?

My idea is to run an event and place a load of caches in that area for the event, then could these caches be removed the next day?

dino

Post by dino » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:19 pm

If the caches will only be in place for one day then they can't be listed on GC.com. You can still put them out but no smilies.

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:21 pm

What I was hoping for is caches that can be put in place for an event then removed and used in a different place for an event. Is there a length of time they need to be in place?