March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Ask The Reviewer

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Ask The Reviewer

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks Dino.
I can work away now so. No more excuses.
I think I may be back for more help soon.
:)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Kili or bust
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kili or bust » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:03 pm

And don't forget to give your local caching buddies the heads up, especially since I hear you were out like a shot to beat me to that Millenium one!! :lol:

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Think we caught a few on the hop there :twisted:
But it'd be a bad show if we didn't get that one first - it's practically on my doorstep :)

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi there.
Could I ask what the guidelines are re placing caches where there is a public 'Right of Way'? We found a lovely one the other day, placed on a trail, that had a public right of way. I can't seem to find any specific reference to Rights of Way and I have a place in mind to put one.
Thanks in advance. :)

Croaghan
Slieve Bearnagh North 680m

Post by Croaghan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

A RoW gives access across someone's private land. This allows permission to move from one site to another and doesn't give automatic permission to stop or to leave anything behind.

From Citizens Advice (my emphasis):
There is a distinction in Irish law between public and private rights of way. A public right of way is a person's right of passage along a road or path, even if the road or path is not in public ownership. A private right of way is the right to enter onto private lands, but only for the purposes of gaining access to or exiting from another piece of land.
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... in_ireland

As always it is the cache owner's responsibility to read the guidelines which state the following (my emphasis):
By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location.
http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... x#offlimit
Volunteer Reviewer for Geocaching.com (Ireland)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

GC.com Profiles: dino-irl Croaghan

GeocachingIreland/Leave No Trace Guidelines

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks for answering so quickly. That's a good site too, loads of info on there.
So,I understand the Private Right of way and needing permission from the owner if the land is privately owned.
This one is definitely "Public Right of Way" according to the notices. So I take that to mean that's it's like putting the cache on the side of the road, because it would be on the public right of way path and not on the private property to either side.
This even sounds very blond to me so sorry :oops:

jrm-irl

Post by jrm-irl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Blue Jay 59 wrote: This one is definitely "Public Right of Way" according to the notices. So I take that to mean that's it's like putting the cache on the side of the road, because it would be on the public right of way path and not on the private property to either side.
This even sounds very blond to me so sorry :oops:
Maybe I'm missing something, but i took it to mean that if it is on private land you'd still need the landowner's permission, regardless of whether the access granted was private RoW or pulbic RoW.

Privately owned land, doesn't automatically make it a 'private' right of way.

i.e we have land behind us that is only accessible via our property....so the farmer who owns that land, with our permission, has a private right of way to access his land. No-one else can use that access, unless they are specifically engaged by that farmer to work in that field.

however, if there was a public footpath across our property, althought it would be a *public* right of way you would still require our permission if the section of path where you wanted to place your tupperware was on our land.

Does that make more sense?

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Caroline has it right. You can cross the private land using a RoW but can't leave anything behind or stray off the RoW.

If in doubt then just ask the landowner for permission.

8)

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks to you both for the replies. I think as you say to be on the safeside I'll ask permission or find somewhere else.
Thanks for the help :)

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:34 pm

What are the regulations on placing an extreme cache. If I can get the equipment I would like to pace a few.

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:24 am

Zoe andDaddy wrote:What are the regulations on placing an extreme cache. If I can get the equipment I would like to pace a few.
The GC.com guidelines cover all types of caches. An extreme cache is simply one with a very high terrain rating that usually requires special equipment to retrieve.

As with any cache I would ask that you do also read the "Leave No Trace" guidelines that we have developed as a best practice guide:

http://guidelines.geocachingireland.com/

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

Zoe andDaddy

Post by Zoe andDaddy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks, I have read those.
So there is no special guidelines or requirements for placing this type of caches.
As long as I get permission and warn everyone about how difficult this is with a list of equipment they might need I should have no problems getting an extreme cache published.
Last edited by Zoe andDaddy on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:01 pm

While out caching today I found 2 glue sticks and a witch hazel stick in 3 different caches .
I removed them as if I remember correctly they should not be in caches . Was I right / wrong ? - seem to remember that glue / makeup etc should not be placed in caches.
Keep Low, Move Fast & Trust No-one . . . . .

Croaghan

Post by Croaghan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:21 pm

beefy4605 wrote:While out caching today I found 2 glue sticks and a witch hazel stick in 3 different caches .
I removed them as if I remember correctly they should not be in caches . Was I right / wrong ? - seem to remember that glue / makeup etc should not be placed in caches.
They're not mentioned specifically but they are covered under the "Cache Contents" guideline:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guideli ... x#contents
Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.
You did the right thing as far as I'm concerned.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

Reviewing as Croaghan
Caching as dino-irl

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks for that Croaghan

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 am

I found glitter glue in a cache yesterday. As far as I can see, this stuff is harmless. My four year old was delighted, they use this glue in school to make cards etc. I guess someone put it in there with young kids in mind. A nice idea IMO. There is no smell from this glue and it is non-toxic. I can't see the harm, and I left it there (Laura chose a small toy instead).

beefy4605
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by beefy4605 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:06 pm

OK then think of it like this -
Animals have a better, more developed sence of smell than a human.
You may not be able to smell the contents of a cache but a wild animal may be able to .
While a bit of glitter glue may not harm you or your kid what harm will it do to say a squirrel,fox, field mouse or any other wild animal that may come across it.
How would geocaching be perceived by the wider community if animal deaths were linked to our activities in the countryside?

Donmoore

Post by Donmoore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm

i find lots of caches that have been chewed up by animals... I reckon if I was to remove all things that should not be in caches many of the caches I find would be empty.
One of my early caches was twice eaten by i'm gonna guess rats. then one I found after a very long time with no finds had a box of moldy items including a firework.

dogwhisperers

Post by dogwhisperers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 pm

beefy4605 wrote: While a bit of glitter glue may not harm you or your kid what harm will it do to say a squirrel,fox, field mouse or any other wild animal that may come across it.
How would geocaching be perceived by the wider community if animal deaths were linked to our activities in the countryside?
I did say non-toxic. And by the way, a lot of stuff in caches are actually made from glue, eg. paper, cardboard, badges, stickers, as for the plastic that the geocaches are made from, well...I arrest my case.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

Niall,

Earthcaches ... can they have an ALR re: a photo at a specific location?