March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

Just gone paperless

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

THE_Chris
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Just gone paperless

Post by THE_Chris » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Got a Palm TX, GSAK and Cachemate. Absolutely brilliant, this'll make it a whole load easier.

No more 'go on holiday with 10 caches printed out by random guesswork". :D

Now its 'go on holiday with every cache for miles around on the GPS".

Love it

glastocat
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by glastocat » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:02 am

I'm very jealous. I've only had my etrex since Xmas and I'm drooling over the lovely upgrades already.

becket

Post by becket » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:12 pm

i love my palm tx! i have been caching paperless for about 3 years but just got my palm tx last year. i got a delorme pn-20 last year, too, but haven't taken the time to figure out how to get cache descriptions into it. my old palm would usually die just as i got to my first cache of the day. then i would be stuck with no cache descriptions or worse yet - no hints! when i figure out how to get the cache descriptions on my gps, i'll have them in 2 places.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 pm

I love my Palm Treo 755p, a Palm that includes a mobile phone. It runs CacheMate.

I had one bad experience when I didn't protect it from the pouring rain. After a couple of hours, the touch screen went dead, which meant I couldn't use CacheMate. A night spent propped in front of a high-powered fan brought it back to life.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

paperless geocaching.

Post by spy caleb » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

just wondering what are the options for paperless geocaching.
I do not have any major knowledge of what is available. Up to now I can run PQ's and transfer to GPS but dont have any facility for electronic downloading of listings.
It happened over the week end where I had downloaded an area of caches and did not have the listings all printed out or written and I ended up looking just with coords only.
Why dont Garmin or whoever, produce software or memory capable of holding the cache listings as well as the basic coords.
It would make for easier geocaching on the whole instead of needing two pieces of equipment or as in my case the GPS and printed out sheets or handwritten info etc.,
Anyone with any ideas or info?

medic143

Post by medic143 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:48 am

The simpliest way is to change GPS units and use the Oregon or Colorado to cache with. This would give you one machine capable of everything.

Second option would be the use of a PDA/Smartphone to view the listings while using your existing GPS.

Third option would be to use a phone to view the listings in real time with using your existing GPS.

Fourth - use a laptop to view the listings in your vehicle prior to the search on a cache by cache basis (not very efficient but if if you have a laptop and not the other equipment what the hell).

Fifth - there are some gadgets (like the archos media viewer) that can view html files - generate them in GSAK and view them on the move (I personally wouldn't subject an archos to geocaching but its an option :D )

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:19 am

What kind of mobile phone do you have? There are many ways of carrying and displaying cache info on various types of phones now.

I use a Blackberry which does everything including the compass view and Nokias do the same but it all depends on the model you have.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 am

I am using a Garmin GPS 60csx and would be reluctant to change just now.
If i were the Oregon would appear to my choice.
The phone is nothing fancy. Its a work one and a basic Nokia which makes and takes CALLS.
The idea of having one piece of equipment to cover the entire job appears attractive. I want to try and get away from armed with gps laptop pda camera and simplify it all.
Does the oregon cover all of this?
Have not done too much research into it! I believe the newest one has an excellent camera! plus a whole host of other features............need to find more

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:48 am

[Speaking as a person who has never used GSAK or any PDA stuff. Currently using Colorado 300]

Certainly it's alot easier being able to just lob a (or multiple) 500 cache PQ into the GPS, and taking off. Everything is on it, all the cache descriptions, hints, and last 5 logs.

The colorado and oregon will cover the gps/laptop/pda you talked of, but there is no camera on these guys, so you'll still have to bring the camera. Even if they had cameras, you'de probably be better off, for quality issues, taking pictures with a proper camera anyway.

It deffinately makes geocaching alot easier, hastle free, and then with small things like 'field notes', after a big day of caching you know which ones you've found, need maintenance etc. But there is a price tag for this, you'll have to weight up the options..

Did I read somewhere that someone is going to the States soon? Maybe he/she can pick up a new toy for you ??

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Spark_ie wrote:The colorado and oregon will cover the gps/laptop/pda you talked of, but there is no camera on these guys.
There is now.

dino

Post by dino » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:32 pm

spy caleb wrote:I am using a Garmin GPS 60csx and would be reluctant to change just now.
If i were the Oregon would appear to my choice.
The phone is nothing fancy. Its a work one and a basic Nokia which makes and takes CALLS.
The idea of having one piece of equipment to cover the entire job appears attractive. I want to try and get away from armed with gps laptop pda camera and simplify it all.
Does the oregon cover all of this?
Have not done too much research into it! I believe the newest one has an excellent camera! plus a whole host of other features............need to find more
What model?

You would be surprised what you can do with even basic phones 8)
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 pm

I would be interested to know too. I have a Nokia 6300. If I could use the phone to store cache info, maybe I could leave the PDA at home.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:48 pm

dino wrote: What model?

You would be surprised what you can do with even basic phones 8)
Nokia 6230i for now though for how much longer is the question as it is coming near the end of its normal life.

TeamHousty

Post by TeamHousty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:12 am

try this for mobile phones

list that it works with and a drop-down for those it may work on

http://live.geocaching.com/guide/index.php

you will need an internet connection, and beware of data costs

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by daraconn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:08 pm

I don't want a live internet-connected application, just the ability to read cache descriptions on my phone as I currently do on my PDA (still using GPXSonar). My phone is a work phone and I can't use it for recreational internet use.

I found ppquery. I have loaded it onto my phone and it seems to do the job. Not everything is perfect, but it's a beta and I'm sure it will be improved.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 pm

I just export to html on gsak, and then load that file on to my phone - works brilliantly.

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Fjon wrote:I just export to html on gsak, and then load that file on to my phone - works brilliantly.
Where exactly is it stored on the mobile phone?

I would be in a similiar position to darracon, in that I dont want to have to connect to the internet using my work phone and I dont want to have to buy a personal phone as well!

Just want to be able to read listings and clues without having to print them off or write them out.

Would be fab if it could be stored on the mobile, so how do I go about transferring it Fjon?

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:11 am

The output from gsak is a folder, with a bunch of html files and jpegs inside.
You should be able to store this folder anywhere on your phone as long as you can access it later.
I have a Nokia phone, and have a 1GB memory card in it. I created a Geocaching folder in the memory card on the phone (the Nokia PC Suite software allows you to do this easily), and the just dump the file in there.
When I want to access it from the phone, I just go in to the file manager in the phone and locate the folder.
Only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a very long time to transfer the files on to the phone - over an hour for 1500 caches.
It does include the pictures from cache pages though.

klossner
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by klossner » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Fjon wrote:Only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a very long time to transfer the files on to the phone - over an hour for 1500 caches.
I take the memory card out of my phone and load it using a cheap USB card adapter. It supports USB 2.0, which is 40 times faster than old USB 1.1 where most phones are stuck.

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:33 pm

klossner wrote:
Fjon wrote:Only thing I don't like about it is that it takes a very long time to transfer the files on to the phone - over an hour for 1500 caches.
I take the memory card out of my phone and load it using a cheap USB card adapter. It supports USB 2.0, which is 40 times faster than old USB 1.1 where most phones are stuck.
Thanks for that, didn't even think of doing it. I believe my laptop has a card reader, so I will just use that in future and save myself a bit of time!