March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

dynamic leaderboard

Discuss Geocaching, Announce Your New Cache Here & Discuss Ideas For Caches

Moderator: GCI Admins

toczygroszek
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

dynamic leaderboard

Post by toczygroszek » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:01 am

Yesterday I found some pages with geocacher's statistic. On this page:
http://www.cacherstats.com/index.html
you can find every (?) cacher who has more than 200 finds.
You can check leaderboard for every country, this is for Ireland:
http://www.cacherstats.com/Ireland1.html

Other page generate statbar with world/Europe/country ranking:
http://www.drunners.de/cachestats/registration_eng.php
This page using data from cacherstats.com, but when I generated my statbar "country/Europe" Ireland doesn't exist and number of caches is "0". I posted information to author and waiting for answer. This is my statbar now:

http://www.drunners.de/cachestats/stat2 ... d=10025240

daraconn
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: dynamic leaderboard

Post by daraconn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:24 pm

toczygroszek wrote:Yesterday I found some pages with geocacher's statistic. On this page:
http://www.cacherstats.com/index.html
you can find every (?) cacher who has more than 200 finds.
You can check leaderboard for every country, this is for Ireland:
http://www.cacherstats.com/Ireland1.html

Other page generate statbar with world/Europe/country ranking:
http://www.drunners.de/cachestats/registration_eng.php
This page using data from cacherstats.com, but when I generated my statbar "country/Europe" Ireland doesn't exist and number of caches is "0". I posted information to author and waiting for answer. This is my statbar now:

http://www.drunners.de/cachestats/stat2 ... d=10025240
Excellent, thanks toczygroszek! I did a "vanity check" on the two sites and find that I'm ranked no. 10 in Ireland, no. 2095 in Europe, and no. 10736 in the world. The stats are a bit out of date (maybe 1 day out of date?) so my "real" world ranking would be a little higher.

Windsockers is at no. 1509 in the world, which is pretty impressive!

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:46 pm

from FAQ:
Question: How often and when will this list be updated?
Answer: Twice a week on Tuesday and Friday mornings at 4:00AM Mountain Time (GMT-7). This will capture the bulk of the weekend and weekday caching activities in a timely fashion. Of course, if I'm on an extended caching trip and the automatic update fails, all bets are off!

Fjon
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Fjon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks for this - it's great. I remember I manually did an irish leaderboard a few years ago - what a pain that was!

Jingwe

Post by Jingwe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Noticed that several names I expected to find ahead of me were missing, after a bit of checking I see that some people appear in the UK lists and some in the Ireland lists which messes up the stats the island as a whole.

Not sure how it decides who goes where though.

dino

Post by dino » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Probably based on home location on GC.com account?
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue."

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 pm

I posted this question 2 days ago to author as well, but still no answer :(

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Since the new province listings for caches placed in Ireland I have changed my profile location from UK to Ireland. It doesn't seem to have shown up on this board yet. Will it happen automatically does anyone know?

I know there those amongst us (who shall remain nameless but not go unpunished :twisted: ) who will impute all sorts of unworthy motives to this action. Let me state clearly and unequivithinghy that it has nothing to do with having a higher placing in the Irish stats than the the UK ones. It is not a vanity issue and it's not about the numbers.

I hope I'm not protesting my innocence too much here but unlike some I have never 1) cached at night (I'll admit to early mornings), 2) embarked on a countrywide tour (I'll admit to North Dublin a couple of times) or 3) raced up and down the highest peaks in the country (more to do with being unfit I'll admit).

Oh, all right then, it does look a bit better :oops:

SargeNI
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by SargeNI » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 pm

It appears to be partly dynamic, in that it gets updated about twice a week. :wink:

So you should be rushing up that leader board as we speak - or is that type. :P

But not another one to push me further down the list :evil:

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:16 am

I have answer!

I first look for an entry on the geocachers profile for the Location. I will use that if it makes sense. If it does not make sense or if there is no entry, I look at the first 21-40 caches that they found. Most of the time cachers will start close to home. That works about 95% of the time. Of course if I am contacted by a geocacher and told that they live someplace, I will use that for the country.

Spark_ie
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Spark_ie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:49 am

I'll have to try and get anothe few caches before I can get on the leader board so ! :D

parkmoy
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by parkmoy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 am

I have answer!
Thanks. That will teach me to check the FAQ's before rushing into print :oops:

toczygroszek

Post by toczygroszek » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:24 pm

I have 2nd answqer from guy who done this stat banner:

thanks for your email. Ireland will be added with the next update. (Friday)

All is OK, but why on my banner is "GER"??? :lol:

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:20 pm

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I changed the setting from Coutry/World to Country/Europe but it says zero for Europe.
Any ideas how to make it tell the truth?!

johnrm

Post by johnrm » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Ignore 'Ger', AFAIK its short for Germany, but the number is for your home country.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:48 pm

:(

wildfowler
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by wildfowler » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Why doesn't mine show anything at all then?
"Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
ImageImage

spy caleb
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by spy caleb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Never knew this leaderboard existed. Makes for interesting stats.

Frezeluberz
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Frezeluberz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:45 pm

wildfowler wrote:Why doesn't mine show anything at all then?
I don't see you on the Geocaching World Ranking list for Ireland so you haven't set your Location on your geocaching.com profile to Ireland.
As for Europe bit in mine ... anyone any ideas?
I can get my world ranking but not my European ranking - what do I have to set where?