March 13th 2017

When I established the forums in 2005 it was to offer a more richer web experience and greater functionality than the platform where we started this social adventure in 2003, Yahoo Groups. The forums were once a busy hive of activity and provided locals and visitors with a wealth of information just like the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook today.

It was a time where we didn't have the many social media platforms we have today, and it was a different time in terms of mobility and technology. There was no instant access to information, no Google Maps and a very limited base map on your GPSr. Mobile connectivity for me was a 9600bps Infrared connection from a Nokia to a laptop and in later times to a PDA using WAP.

As we moved into the social media era so did our forums users. Geocaching Ireland moved there too, and we have a thriving community on the Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group on Facebook. As a result, forum activity isn't what it used to be and I have taken the decision to disable new registrations to the forums and to make the forums read only so any information there can still be accessed.

The discussion hasn't ended, it has just moved. Join us on the Facebook Geocaching Ireland Discussion Group .

Donnacha

question about site/content filtering

Suggestions For The Site & Forums

Moderator: GCI Admins

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Ok so my employer (The HSE) has decided that while at work I should be doing something as crazy as actually working so they have installed a new content filtering thingy to stop us even looking at any webbased email provider gmail/ymail/hotmail...so my next port of call for entertainment is here...which for some reason isnt blocked..after that its on to news websites and then on to the gc.com forums but they are blocked due to "content filtered category: Forum/message board: access denied" so how come gci is aok? working in a lab without any windows living vicariously through other people on here saves me on them long on call nights! ps any way i can actually get around the firewall software to access gmail?

Zalgariath

Re: question about site/content filtering

Post by Zalgariath » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:38 pm

You could get fired and work from home :P

Or, buy a cheap dongle to use your own interwebs... or use your beloved Fruity Phone ;)

TheBigAndyT
Slieve Donard 850m
Slieve Donard 850m

Post by TheBigAndyT » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:44 pm

You could use a proxy site, that would get around the block. But definitely read your employers policy on Internet use first. It wouldn't be hard for your work to check your history and using a proxy site would stand out like a sore thumb and it would be hard to plead ignorance. Personally I use my phone and 3G

donnacha
Site Admin
Site Admin
Title: King Of The Rain

Post by donnacha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 am

I have classified us with Mcafee as "Recreation/Hobbies", as is Geocahing.com. Whoever you filter vendor is, probabley don't have a classification for us.

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:50 pm

no biggie really just wanted to stick it to the man...and before the comments about public service etc start flying its only cuz i have "important" emails coming in regularly...that may require me to dash out at lunch!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Occasionally there is a link here that sparks ours & blocks me :(

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative" - Oscar Wilde

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Oh and Barry - if you persist with your attempts at "people trafficking " (as per the kayak / Lidl thread ) it's no wonder you're getting blocked :shock:

barraseaclaid

Post by barraseaclaid » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 am

woo woo..someone in IT obviously uses gmail so there all unblocked again...and @eileen...now now theres no need to get angry!

Blue Jay
Carrauntoohil 1039m
Carrauntoohil 1039m

Post by Blue Jay » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:29 am

angry ???? that's shock :shock: :shock:

:wink: